Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rattling Cat  (Read 8709 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Rattling Cat
« on: 29 June 2019, 15:35:03 »

Traced the rattle from underside on tickover to the "brick"inside the offside cat.

When thumped definite loose " brick" …..other than making the nasty rattle does this have any other detrimental effect.Also on original cats had both rear lamba sensors repositioned to avoid error codes.Can I assume with a new cat I wont need the lambas moved and its just a remove and replace.

Finally any good sources for something half decent other than the usual pattern rubbish out there.

Thanks  :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Rattling Cat
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2019, 15:58:12 »

If it shifts when driving it can block the exhaust and you will experience sudden loss of power. Also the cat breakup might be down to a misfire in the corresponding cylinder bank.

I doubt if an original cat is available anywhere new. And if it is it will cost more than your car is worth. So buy the cheapest third party you can find, they seem to be circa £180 each on ebay, which is significantly dearer then they were 12 months ago. You also need a fitting kit to connect to the manifold. Check ebay Germany as well.

I would post a 'wanted' in the 'bits for sale & wanted' section.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2019, 16:16:22 »

Cheers for guidance.

No misfire and runs like a swiss watch but recently noticed the "rattle".

Remember replacing both on my old MFL Elite and if memory serves me they were around £100 each so seems they have jumped up.

Will get onto sourcing replacement...does the fitting kit you mention just mean the gasket and stud nuts ?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2019, 16:48:23 »

Yes, whenever a the Death Rattle has appeared I have replaced the cats.

The last ones I obtained were from Sutton Auto Factors for £177 inc. VAT each in 2015.  They do not appear to now stock them!! ::) ::)

But that is a price guide for what have proved to be good replacements that I had my VX main dealer fit. ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2019, 16:56:56 »

Thanks Lizzie.

Found ideal replacement from Germany at £215 with £20 delivery then another £15 for the fitting bits.

Will do it myself but another £250 ontop of the £450 paid last week for 4 new tyres and "the spend goes on"...Trouble is what the option other than replacing but with what.Had a looked at a nice Black  Merc C320 AMG but its tractor fuelled and not as comfy as the Omega . :-[

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2019, 17:06:03 »

Thanks Lizzie.

Found ideal replacement from Germany at £215 with £20 delivery then another £15 for the fitting bits.

Will do it myself but another £250 ontop of the £450 paid last week for 4 new tyres and "the spend goes on"...Trouble is what the option other than replacing but with what.Had a looked at a nice Black  Merc C320 AMG but its tractor fuelled and not as comfy as the Omega . :-[

;D ;D ;D ;D  I have just posted Omega Ownership Costs under General Car Chat that touches on all that amba! :D :D ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2019, 17:22:09 »

£167 on ebay plus about £10 for a fitting kit
or have a cat welded in
or maybe a used one as per your wanted post

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2019, 17:26:28 »

I've never changed a cat on a 3.2, only 2.5 & 3.0. I believe for fitting you will need the gasket at the manifold end. Two of the distorted thread all metal lock nuts, they're M10 I think. I seem to recall that they're made of copper. Ideally fit two new studs, if they come out easily. Else leave them alone or they might shear off.

At the other end since it's new it should have pre-threaded drillings in the flange to accept set-screws inserted from the middle section flange. The middle section flange is not threaded. Else use a suitable length nut and bolt with spring washers. The usual issue with separating the middle sections from the cats is that the set-screws shear in the cat flanges and you have to drill out the broken bits. Pain in the backside if the cat is still on the car, a simple job suddenly gets difficult. You won't have that issue, but I suppose you could consider drilling out the threads on the cat flange before you fit it. That way you won't have trouble if you later want to renew the exhaust.

Some of the members use some Loctite (or similar) high-temp sealer joining the middle section to the cat.

£235 delivered sounds a bit steep to me. Is it an original or an aftermarket?
« Last Edit: 29 June 2019, 17:33:48 by Enceladus »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2019, 17:28:29 »

Several options thanks Dave. :y

Resigned myself to spending £200 + so will see what gives me the better option  :)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2019, 17:33:41 »

173917331145..off fleabay but from Germany..fitting kit extra so around £250 all in.

Yes remember the 2.5 MFL the studs stayed put so just fitted new gasket and copper M10 nuts.

When exhaust center section last changed fitted stainless nuts and bolts so hopefully will split ok ..last hopeful words ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 June 2019, 17:41:43 »

173917331145..off fleabay but from Germany..fitting kit extra so around £250 all in.

Yes remember the 2.5 MFL the studs stayed put so just fitted new gasket and copper M10 nuts.

When exhaust center section last changed fitted stainless nuts and bolts so hopefully will split ok ..last hopeful words ;D

CAREFUL "driver side" in Germany is passenger side on a UK car with the  driver sitting in the correct seat  ;D  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2019, 17:51:21 »

Opps ...silly me  :D

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 June 2019, 17:54:29 »

Off side  rattling on my 2.6 as well  Andrew  . .
but only does it after at least 8 hours standing (overnight really) :D

As it stops within about 30secs to a minute  as the cat warms  & then don't hear it anymore until next morning  . . .I  have learned to live with it   :D :D

Decided that with this car,  I have had it coming up for 3 years now   . . . it cost £300 . .so I am just gonna run it until it falls apart. just doing usual oil changes , brakes etc.   NOT even gonna do another cam belt on it . . .lets see how long it will really last  :D :D :D  So  cannot see me spending £200 +  on a new cat  :y :y
« Last Edit: 29 June 2019, 17:57:36 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2019, 18:04:46 »

See your logic Al.

I use my car everyday for work and most days drive over 100 miles and have done so for years.Everything works as it should and its a real pleasure to drive,albeit I am now starting to get the dreaded rust spots showing on the rear arches.

My reasoning is it earns me a living and replacing it now for something on par is going to cost 7-8k even assuming I can tolerate it.

I can live with the rattling tbh it s just I hoped for an inexpensive fix tbh and £200 seems about right as its only 3 tanks of fuel...tyres are essential consumables so I live with that running cost as its tax deductible.

Will see if I can find a good SH first off the forum then go from there

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 June 2019, 18:13:53 »

I've never changed a cat on a 3.2, only 2.5 & 3.0. I believe for fitting you will need the gasket at the manifold end. Two of the distorted thread all metal lock nuts, they're M10 I think. I seem to recall that they're made of copper. Ideally fit two new studs, if they come out easily. Else leave them alone or they might shear off.

At the other end since it's new it should have pre-threaded drillings in the flange to accept set-screws inserted from the middle section flange. The middle section flange is not threaded. Else use a suitable length nut and bolt with spring washers. The usual issue with separating the middle sections from the cats is that the set-screws shear in the cat flanges and you have to drill out the broken bits. Pain in the backside if the cat is still on the car, a simple job suddenly gets difficult. You won't have that issue, but I suppose you could consider drilling out the threads on the cat flange before you fit it. That way you won't have trouble if you later want to renew the exhaust.

Some of the members use some Loctite (or similar) high-temp sealer joining the middle section to the cat.

£235 delivered sounds a bit steep to me. Is it an original or an aftermarket?

My VX dealer needed 2 x Gaskets at £7.80
                               4 x Screws at   £10.20
                               4 x Screws at   £1.92

How they used them I have not a clue!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

All I know is that including the cats they purchased on my behalf from the supplier I recommended, plus labour, it cost a total of £556.90 for the two to be fitted;)
« Last Edit: 29 June 2019, 18:17:11 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.