Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new laptop advice  (Read 3280 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: new laptop advice
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2018, 16:31:45 »

This will likely get me linched but....

I rather like this Google suite of products. Sheets, docs and slides.

Work is trying hard to be a Google shop so we have had it inflicted on us. But, after 6m I only use M$ office when I absolutely have to.

Realistically it does everything anyone will need for mundane word processing, spreadsheets and presentations. It also gives you a shed load of space to store your stuff.

Should you run out, you can just sign up for another Google account and get more free space   

As someone who runs a team who work in different places and time zones, it's invaluable to have all my work and theirs accessible from my laptop, phone and tablet wherever I have broadband or 4G.

From the OP's point of view, using the Google suite means no worries about losing work, having devices stolen etc. Because it's all cloud accessible. And when, not if, your next device fails, all you need to do is buy another device and log in to Google. No backing up files, trying to find where you saved stuff etc. Just plug n play.

If I were the OP, id get any ol' laptop, a really nice kB and mouse, big ass monitor and pay for good broadband, plus a 4g dongle for  redundancy if needed/wanted.
Office 365 is the equivalent of Google Docs, and similar sort of price.  So whatever floats really.  OneDrive syncs well as well, if local copies needed.

I'm uncomfortable with Google, due to what they do with data.
Grumpy old man

relluf

« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2018, 17:37:49 »

If the laptop doesn't do the onsite job required, you will have just spent money on very expensive doorstop. :( My experience of Libra & OpenOffice 3rd party 'compatible' office suites is they might load and layout basic files. For complex stuff, multiple files / overlays etc, forget it, they won't do the job.

The Google suggestion will not be compatible with your bespoke application and are cloud based, no onsite mobile data signal, no datasheet to fill in. :( With a Win 10 / on disc Office 2016 setup you can load the application and save the data with no data link to send when you have a signal.

As the laptop is being moved around alot the most common cause of failure is likely to be g-shocks to the HDD, so I would personally go for an SSD.

The alternative is to repair your current laptop which sounds like a broken charger lead or loose power socket connection. Both are common (Mrs Rods2 an expert on creating both by sitting with laptop on the lap and then walking off with it in her hands with the PSU brick pulled along :( ) and are easily repaired. If the former check the PSU lead and socket and replace or get a local independent to repair. :y

Everything else as per TB's suggestions.

Well crikey what a can of worms I have opened up here!!!!!

Many thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion

Rods you are quite correct we have had multiple occasions while using Libre where the document has been scrambled on the receiving end so generally stick to Word, but using Win 10 and saved to one drive, if it all goes tits up on site ,its generally recoverable when back at home.

HOWEVER!!!

Having had a play with the said machine, I decided to take it to bits!! uh oh!!

So battery out , back off, play carefully with power socket , not really knowing what I'm doing so give up , put it all back together and...… it works!!!

Charge light came on powered up no problems , let the kids loose with it all weekend so three or four charge cycles and it now seems fine so will just hold fire a little while to see if it keeps going.

Watch this space and thanks again for all your input everyone :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2018, 00:27:09 »

Was anyone else waiting for the sentence to follow 'battery out...' "and dropped a really crucial small screw onto the paisley carpet..." ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2018, 21:34:46 »

Was anyone else waiting for the sentence to follow 'battery out...' "and dropped a really crucial small screw somewhere deep and inaccessible in the laptop, so it rattles when I move it..." ::)

FTFY. :P ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.