Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatwick  (Read 29773 times)

aaronjb

Re: Gatwick
« Reply #105 on: 22 December 2018, 19:38:35 »

This reminds me of something I have wondered for a while:

Drones are deemed such a problem that geofences were mandated, height restrictions mandated, distance from operator mandated etc..

But you could go out and buy an "old fashioned" RC chopper or aircraft and fly it right over the airport and there's nothing to stop you; so why was that never a "thing" and why didn't they end up banned?

Maybe because they take more skill to fly (sorry, TB ;)) and are owned by more responsible people? (Sorry, TB ;D )

2boxerdogs

« Reply #106 on: 22 December 2018, 19:57:37 »

Drones are deemed such a problem that geofences were mandated, height restrictions mandated, distance from operator mandated etc..

But you could go out and buy an "old fashioned" RC chopper or aircraft and fly it right over the airport and there's nothing to stop you; so why was that never a "thing" and why didn't they end up banned?

Maybe because they take more skill to fly (sorry, TB ;)) and are owned by more responsible people? (Sorry, TB ;D )

Nail on the head I think.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 22 December 2018, 20:31:22 »

You are right, quadcopters are seen as antisocial, and these machines are what most people call drones - although a drone is any unmanned powered flying machine.

The lower end of the quad market has become toy/gadget territory, and little Johnny on Christmas morning isn't going to find the rules of flying inside the box.

Additionally, virtually every quad has a camera onboard, which causes privacy concerns, and hence there are rules around that. But again, little Johnny wont know.

Lastly, this all causes distrust amongst the public, and the media do not help.

So, yes, quadcopters are an issue, and are leading some of the legislation, mostly kneejerk to be seen to be something about those who don't know/obey the laws.  And the CAA understand this. Hence I can legally fly some of my drones above the 400' limit, just not the multicopters.

As for geofences, I'm only aware of DJI implementing that in their flight controllers. And nobody who is into it as a hobby uses DJI, they are for the antisocial ;)
Grumpy old man

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 22 December 2018, 23:27:30 »

Of course it can be jammed , technology is there just needs the authorisation.
Not really if its flying autonomously, as there is no signal to jam (assuming its being done maliciously by somebody with half an ounce of intelligence).  The Flight Controller (aka Autopilot) is pre-programmed with waypoints to fly to.  And that's also what makes it so hard to locate those responsible (assuming they don't want the drone back, else you just need to track where it lands and monitor that).

A £25 Flight Controller, and £7 GPS/compass loaded up with free open source software is all that is needed to fly autonomously.  And all multirotor drones have a flight controller of some description (too unstable to fly without), and the vast, vast majority have GPS capability.

Obviously, if its being manually flown, there will be a link, usually 2.4Ghz for short range (couple of km, so less likely in this case) or 900Mhz for long range (10km).  The trouble is, most links frequency hop to prevent interference - hence you can have a load of people flying together on the same frequency, with none of that tosh of sticking flags on you transmitter that you did in the old days - meaning you'd have to jam the whole frequency range and at high power.  Jamming 900Mhz would piss off the mobile networks and their customers, and potentially impact TV.  Jamming 2.4Ghz would piss off just about everyone.
.                                                  Well these fu(kers have pissed more than 140,000 passengers off apparently!
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 23:30:12 by Raeturbo »
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 23 December 2018, 10:20:20 »

Jamming 900Mhz would piss off the mobile networks and their customers, and potentially impact TV.  Jamming 2.4Ghz would piss off just about everyone.
.                                                  Well these fu(kers have pissed more than 140,000 passengers off apparently!
Which is insignificant compared the numbers of pissed off people if jamming was used  So that's what you base your decision on.

I don't know much about commercial flights, but I wouldn't mind guessing that commercial aircraft would have to be grounded during jamming.

Lastly, if jamming would have been effective - and there is no certainty it would have - you have to bear in mind that 1-4kg dropping out of the sky is also an issue, and imagine the media outrage if one had hit a precious little snowflake and killed them.

All of which leads us to where we are. The risk was known for a few years. Nobody had a clear idea how to deal with it, so you can imagine it gets pushed into backlogs at all planning meetings, and then in that great British tradition, panic when it does happen, and act surprised about this "new" threat.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 23 December 2018, 10:29:57 »

There was an exclusion zone over and around the airport, so I guess the impact would depend on the range of the equipment used and whether four or five units could be used to attack the drone at relatively short range from different directions, effectively pinning it to a point that it could be accurately dealt with, assuming of course that it doesn't fall out of the sky when it gets confused.

Randomly chasing it around the sky with a shotgun or HK MP5 would only end in tears, but taking out a stationary target with a rifle would be a much less risky.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 10:33:02 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 23 December 2018, 10:42:52 »

Why don't drones have to pay air tax and have insurance?  Surely they should also have number plates on them so we can trace the owner ::) ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #112 on: 23 December 2018, 11:00:09 »

At the end of the day why does the normal man/woman require a drone ? Simple they don't.

STEMO

« Reply #113 on: 23 December 2018, 11:09:42 »

At the end of the day why does the normal man/woman require a drone ? Simple they don't.
There was a small one hovering around the back of our houses during the summer. On the third day one of my neighbours started taking pot shots at it with his .22 air rifle, it was low enough. He never hit it, of course, but the operator must have been close enough to see what was going on and it never came back.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #114 on: 23 December 2018, 11:22:34 »

There was a small one hovering around the back of our houses during the summer. On the third day one of my neighbours started taking pot shots at it with his .22 air rifle, it was low enough. He never hit it, of course, but the operator must have been close enough to see what was going on and it never came back.
[/quote 

Exactly what I would do , nosy bastards, peeping toms get a proper hobby.

« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 11:24:30 by Tilbo »

STEMO

« Reply #115 on: 23 December 2018, 11:31:46 »

We're an old fashioned lot round here. There's a line of car parking spaces which run along the side street by me, for the houses on the opposite side. But, not surprisingly, all and sundry use it. One fella, who lives down the road, has a dash cam in his car, and the little red light on it flashes away even when it's parked. He was asked to park elsewhere, he didn't. He was told that he was a fickin pervert, he still parked there. Black masking tape was placed over the screen where the camera was, he still parked there. His windscreen was given a coat of black spray paint. He still parks there, but takes his dash cam indoors with him.  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 23 December 2018, 12:13:53 »

Nobody needs a guitar, set of golf bats, more than one car or any of the other toys we have.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 23 December 2018, 12:18:47 »

We're an old fashioned lot round here. There's a line of car parking spaces which run along the side street by me, for the houses on the opposite side. But, not surprisingly, all and sundry use it. One fella, who lives down the road, has a dash cam in his car, and the little red light on it flashes away even when it's parked. He was asked to park elsewhere, he didn't. He was told that he was a fickin pervert, he still parked there. Black masking tape was placed over the screen where the camera was, he still parked there. His windscreen was given a coat of black spray paint. He still parks there, but takes his dash cam indoors with him.  ;D
Lets hope he does not give all the footage of you with all those "goods" you don't have receipts for ,to the rozzers   ::)

STEMO

« Reply #118 on: 23 December 2018, 12:36:50 »

Lets hope he does not give all the footage of you with all those "goods" you don't have receipts for ,to the rozzers   ::)
Nowt to do with me, I live on the main road.  :)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 23 December 2018, 13:26:01 »

I suppose it is possible to teach youself how to fly this system, but most will just give up. Getting the A/C into the air is relatively easy, but flight times will vary & it will always be followed by a splintering sound as it lands. Most will then seek out a local flying club.

All the clubs follow a code of practise relevant to safe flying.

The point I`m trying to make is that most traditional RC flyers will be schooled to fly by the club system. Meaning they will have that safety message upper most in their minds when & where ever they fly their models.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.