Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who would do better ..........  (Read 1437 times)

razzo

• Omega Knight
  • Crapital
    • 97 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
Who would do better ..........
« on: 22 June 2020, 21:13:31 »

An F1 driver in a rally car or a rally driver in an F1 car in competition & why?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Who would do better ..........
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2020, 21:18:06 »

The rally car driver would do better in a F1 car on the track, because it takes huge gonads to drive down a forest track in the pissing rain at 100 mph and I reckon most F1 drivers would fill their pants.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2020, 21:21:17 »

Ask Robert Kubica. :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2020, 21:24:39 »

Although.... Wasn't there a Finnish driver who competed in both and won both championships?  ???  :-\

Hakkinnininn maybe?  ???  Don't think it was Rakkinninininn...  :-\

Rumour has it that for Finnish teenagers a good night out is to hurtle around a forest in an old banger at ridiculous speeds, and then knock back a bottle of vodka while banging a sexy blonde in the sauna!  :y

Mad bastards those Finns!  :)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2020, 21:31:10 »

In the late 70,s / early 80,s Gilles Vileneuve asked Ferrari to use theur influence at Fiat to provide an extra works rally car for him to drive in the Monte Carlo rally. He won the rally, and the French organisers were so pissed off they stripped the car until they found some nonsensical reason to disqualify him.
This is all from memory, so feel free to google it and prove I am at least semi senile and remembering through rose tinted specs. :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2020, 21:37:58 »

Just googled it myself, and indeed my memory has got mixed up over the years. He had a Fiat 131 road car and used to drive some of the Monte special stages on open roads and time himself to compare against the times during the rally. Apparently, he was very fast.
He actually competed in the Tour of Italy in a Lancia, and won the rally, but got disqualified for being honest enough to admit he had driven on the motorway in between special stages.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yeb7dD22V9QC&pg=PA217&lpg=PA217&dq=gilles+Villeneuve+monte+carlo+rally&source=bl&ots=q_J12CgRL5&sig=ACfU3U2F02dcne-OAFoiKfb9HgC7ncR1cw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi75f-EopbqAhWeSBUIHTilDgkQ6AEwEXoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=gilles%20Villeneuve%20monte%20carlo%20rally&f=false
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2020, 21:42:03 »

They are both very speialised disciplines these days, but I think its unlikely that many rally drivers could drive an F1 car at the limit without a lot of testing and training.
I remember a long time ago Tony Pond tested an F1 car for CCC magazine and was pretty impressive. He said afterwards that he didnt find it that difficult to drive it at 90%, but that last 10% wouldnt have been possible. Thats where the real talent zone lies.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2020, 12:53:30 »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2020, 13:01:28 »

They are both very speialised disciplines these days, but I think its unlikely that many rally drivers could drive an F1 car at the limit without a lot of testing and training.
I remember a long time ago Tony Pond tested an F1 car for CCC magazine and was pretty impressive. He said afterwards that he didnt find it that difficult to drive it at 90%, but that last 10% wouldnt have been possible. Thats where the real talent zone lies.

Yep.....even an old boy like STMO could probably drive a modern F1 car at 70%..........well maybe 7%.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.