Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: R8 Springs changed.  (Read 6510 times)

ted_one

R8 Springs changed.
« on: 10 August 2016, 08:22:39 »

I'd like to thank Serek and his guys for the excellent job on the R8 yesterday, front drivers side spring completely snapped, and take a look at the corrosion on the rest of them.When they were removed it was found that they were Pedders springs which was a bit surprising as the car has only done 16k from new :o  I thought that they were a bit more quality than that,and as you can see that Pedders have gone back on to the car as we didn't know that the car already had them on until on removal someone had thoughgtfully left the old tags on.But over the next few weeks the car will go up to RustBusters for some decent rustproofing  and that might give them a  better service life.

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
Re: R8 Springs changed.
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2016, 08:48:53 »

Thought this was going to be about an Audi  :D
John.

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2016, 09:24:09 »

Seriously though I'd be sending those pics to pedders and ask for their opinion on quality control.
John.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2016, 09:33:21 »

might be worth, in the near future, get the springs off and get a powdercoating/other over them, try adn get a bit more life out of them? That is a bit shocking, especially as you'd imagine those springs are designed to cope with Australian roads.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2016, 10:33:45 »

Never been impressed with the quality of Pedders springs sadly, seen many fail pretty prematurely.

ted_one

« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2016, 10:48:19 »

I did look at Eibach but couldn't find any springs available.Live and learn I guess ::)

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2016, 20:13:22 »

might be worth, in the near future, get the springs off and get a powdercoating/other over them, try adn get a bit more life out of them? That is a bit shocking, especially as you'd imagine those springs are designed to cope with Australian roads.

Two words : Hydrogen Embrittlement  :(
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2016, 20:26:20 »

I'd be very surprised if the 175C temperature required for powder coating affect steel by any measurable amount.The manufacturing heat treatment is a very different matter.

ted_one

« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2016, 20:41:56 »

So am I correct in saying that the Pedders manufacturing standards are not as good as say GM's OE factory fitment :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2016, 20:49:55 »

So am I correct in saying that the Pedders manufacturing standards are not as good as say GM's OE factory fitment :-\

Maybe. But you can guarantee that they do a lot less testing 8)

ted_one

« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2016, 21:01:11 »

I suppose I could have got the springs from VX,but I guess they would have been standard ride height which I wouldn't have been too keen on :-\

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2016, 22:41:31 »

You have a nice toy there . Was pleasure to work on , it's mint condition like all your cars

ted_one

« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2016, 22:49:31 »

Thanks Serek,great service as usual,the car now handles as it should and I hoped you enjoyed driving the car. :y
« Last Edit: 10 August 2016, 22:51:11 by nitro »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2016, 12:52:48 »

I'd be very surprised if the 175C temperature required for powder coating affect steel by any measurable amount.The manufacturing heat treatment is a very different matter.

Indeed. But I'd be surprised if powder coating would be flexible enough to stay on a spring for any length of time. If it was, stone chips would break it off in quick order. Some POR15 or stonechip paint followed by waxoyl might be a better plan.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ted_one

« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2016, 16:48:17 »

Certainly will have to make periodic checks on the condition of the new springs,I do have plans to get the car up to RustBuster to get the underside properly treated,hopefully they'll splash a bit of their gunky stuff  over the springs :-\
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.