Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use a 2.5 radiato on a 2.0?  (Read 4988 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Can I use a 2.5 radiato on a 2.0?
« on: 07 November 2015, 12:51:48 »

he radiator on my 2.0 has a pinhole in the header tank. I have a spare good 2.5 radiator. It looks the same dimensions, only obvious differences are the upper electrical plugs - I presume I can switch these - and the 2.5 rad has a hose running from upper right to lower left, with a pump in the middle.

Can I use the 2.5 radiator on the 2.0, leaving the cross hose in place as a plug?

Alternatives are drilling out the pinhole and plugging it, and buying new radiator; first might fail and second would cost time and money. Please advise.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use a 2.5 radiato on a 2.0?
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2015, 13:56:29 »

2.0 exc. air con. 52463044
2.0 with air con. 52463046

2.5 auto exc. air con.  52463046
2.5/3.0 with air con. 52463050
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2015, 14:05:40 »

What have you got to lose by trying it? If the engine hoses fit the substitute radiator, then plugging the cross-hose is easy.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2015, 15:41:22 »

What have you got to lose by trying it? If the engine hoses fit the substitute radiator, then plugging the cross-hose is easy.
Or simply leave attached :y

Certainly no harm in trying, but the main hoses need to be a snug fit, otherwise it will be a passable temporary fix allowing time for a new rad to arrive...

Incidentally a new rad might be had for £60-70 :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2015, 15:47:34 »

Certainly no harm in trying, but the main hoses need to be a snug fit, otherwise it will be a passable temporary fix allowing time for a new rad to arrive...

Incidentally a new rad might be had for £60-70 :y

Won't the main hoses be the same 32mm diameter that has been an almost universal size for decades?

Although I have to agree with the new, correct radiator for that sort of price.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2015, 15:53:55 »

Was also concerned that the spigots might be in a slightly different place, potentially straining the hoses...

£50 delivered...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-2-0-2-2-2-5-3-0-1994-2003-RADIATOR-BRAND-NEW-2-YEAR-WARRANTY-/281076260726?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3AOmega&hash=item4171735f76:g:rxoAAOSwxH1UGDnG

Buy it now, and it will be on your doorstep Wednesday  :y used these guys to good effect...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2015, 20:33:17 »

Here's an amazing thing. I fitted a 2000 2.5 radiator, in my stick, saved as OK, bit tricky to fit because the rear hoses and pump were a bit in the way. Filled with coolant, armed engine, and this one has a crack where the other had a pinhole. Bother.

Thanks for reference, Al. Will buy one in tomorrow.
Pic follows of leaking crack in header tank.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00dxb0j6txfugro/LEAK50%25jpg.jpg?dl=0

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2015, 11:44:57 »

The replacement radiator came for the Opel 2.5 I scrapped in July. It wasn't leaking then. Also it failed in almost the same place as the original radiator - top of LH end, on a flat bit, not cracking around the top house pipe like I have known before.  I went to bed a puzzled man.

Got up this morning, inspired - must be head gasket gone, pressurising the coolant system, blowing out of weakest point; though I thought the pressure cap should be that point. Simple check, compression test.

Checked compression; no. 1 13.5; no. 2 12; no. 3 13.5; no. 4 13.

What is going on?

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2015, 11:53:40 »

Rad tanks crack at the mould seams... pin hole eventually becomes a crack if left long enough... guess the plastic has a moulding deficiency and goes brittle over time :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2015, 20:53:42 »

So the replacement radiator instantly failing in the same place as the original was coincidence. May be so. I grant my head gasket failure theory is confounded by the compression test, also by the fact that were the HG blown pressure would be released by the header cap.
I accept that constant flexing of the top hose pipe by engine rocking may eventually crack it. I can imagine no similar force to crack the flat top of the RH tank, possibly hot/cold cycling. I appreciate it failing on the top, some way down the side I would never have seen it.
I am currently awaiting delivery of clutch parts, so I shall pause my coolant loss mystery until the Clacton car is reassembled.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2015, 21:47:37 »

Could simply be a lack of checking :-\

Coolant level warning might a worthwhile addition ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2015, 17:59:41 »

This dear old lady is not worthy of improvement. We've had it 10 years, over that time all members of the family have had it for a while. It has seen service in the last month as a builder's van (it's an estate). Its probable fate is scrapping, as one car has to go.

This radiator fault has me puzzled. I am contemplating replacing the pinhole radiator to locate the hole, then drilling it out, tapping the hole, and screwing in a plug and washer. Do you think this might work?  The plastic feels quite thick there. Or putting a washer and nut inside (I can get access via the top hose pipe).

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2015, 08:01:34 »

Does the yellow cap on the header tank release pressure? It is labelled high pressure and has the number 140 stamped on it. I still suspect head gasket failure. I have video of the original radiator blowing out water, and gas is bubbling through the drop of water. I know this does not fit with the compression readings, but it would tally with the second radiator promptly failing in the same way.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2015, 08:19:27 »

This 2.0 has been parked since the 9th while I have been playing with other cars. Turned the key this morning, fired up first time. Too good to scrap. Tell me, is the compression test proof that the head gasket is OK? If so, it deserves a new radiator. My question is - could the head gasket be blown and yet the compression test shows 4 cylinders similar compression?

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2015, 14:13:53 »

This 2.0 has been parked since the 9th while I have been playing with other cars. Turned the key this morning, fired up first time. Too good to scrap. Tell me, is the compression test proof that the head gasket is OK? If so, it deserves a new radiator. My question is - could the head gasket be blown and yet the compression test shows 4 cylinders similar compression?
Don't think so on the four pot as they leak between cylinders rather than outside like the 2.5/3.0s :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.