Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Strugging to attach gearbox to engine  (Read 9306 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Strugging to attach gearbox to engine
« on: 14 November 2015, 12:23:42 »

2000 Omega 2.5 petrol manual CDX estate
This is my second clutch job. On the first (Jan2014)  gearbox slid easily back on to engine. This one isn't going on. I suppose the gearbox input shaft is not engaging in the clutch centre. Is there a trick, a tehnique, of re-angaging it?

05omegav6

Re: Strugging to attach gearbox to engine
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2015, 14:48:22 »

Suitable deep socket, 13mm springs to mind, with a long extension to centralise it.

Then as you offer the box up, pop it into gear using the tail of the linkage and rock the prop flange back and forth until it pops home, then back into neutral for rest of refitting.

Note that the box needs to be aligned true inorder to get it home cleanly... Quite easy to misalign the assembly if it's slightly on the piss :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2015, 14:49:56 »

If you engage a gear it will probably be possible to rotate the input shaft enough to align with the clutchplate splines. You do this by rotating the gearbox as you slide it forward.

But before you do that, recheck that the clutch plate is properly aligned with the flywheel. If you didn't use an alignment tool to do that, then it is guaranteed to be your problem.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2015, 15:16:38 »

As already suggested.....clutch alignment tool...or old school...an old motion shaft first to align up then remove it and box will glide into place.. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2015, 15:45:25 »

As already suggested.....clutch alignment tool...or old school...an old motion shaft first to align up then remove it and box will glide into place.. :y

That's only really viable if you have a scrap gearbox - I still have a Ford T9 shaft with a handle welded on it, but its uses now are pretty limited!

A universal aligning tool is pretty cheap, a custom one is easy to make on a lathe, or really old school is some suitable pilot bearing sized dowel(or cut a bit off a broom handle) with insulating tape wrapped around it for the clutch plate. I have done them by eye, but it's hard work with the engine in the car, and prefer a more repeatable technique.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2015, 15:55:04 »

Nick that is so correct,,,,in the days gone bye my garage was shrewn with loads of odds and sods so was an every day event,,but these days as you say,,who keeps those bits laying around,,so it down to the alignment tool which is cheap enough and makes life so much easier  :y :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2015, 16:16:49 »

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I did use an alignment tool to centralise the clutch plate.
I will try again when I find the strength. I have the gearbox strapped to a jack and am working in my pit. Trouble is I am trapped in the pit until I get the gearbox on, unless SWMBO kindly jacks up a rear wheel and safely supports the car, to allow me to emerge. Now I need her help again to try out your suggestions, and she is busy. I have found a deep socket that fits snugly in the friction plate, that should help.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2015, 16:18:55 »

That's how I do it ;) :-X

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2015, 11:46:34 »

I suppose you will tell me my problem is alignment, but its proving jolly tricky. Now I get the g/b shaft some way n, probably up to the splines, then get stuck. I have engaged a gear, and can feel the splines beginning to engage, but it will go on no further. I attach 3 shots of the alignment of the g/b input shaft with a 19mm long socket sitting snugly in the clutch splines. I feel if if was more rough with it it might go on, but I am nrrvous of doing so. On my erlier clutch job it just popped easily in.
[urlhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/bqe7wgj36co75zs/GBsplines4%20o%20clock.jpg?dl=0][/url]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5vk4duuxaqes3d/GBsplines%206%20o%20clock.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tm83jwcqnmsq2l/GBsplines%208%20o%20clock.jpg?dl=0

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2015, 11:54:59 »

Just to add, of course I have to withdaw the g/b to extract my alignment tool, then advance again, which may cause some loss of alignment. I note JamesV6CDX mentions that some fellows grease the splines on reassembly, but points out this is risky as it may get on to the friction plate, requiring the whole job to be done again.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2015, 12:15:27 »

Just to add, of course I have to withdaw the g/b to extract my alignment tool, then advance again, which may cause some loss of alignment. I note JamesV6CDX mentions that some fellows grease the splines on reassembly, but points out this is risky as it may get on to the friction plate, requiring the whole job to be done again.

Grease on the splines will also attract dust from the clutch and may cause problems further down the road.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2015, 12:32:00 »

I'm assuming that your alignment tool is a snug fit in both the crankshaft pilot bearing and the clutch plate. If that's the case, then your clutch is aligned. Tighten the clutch cover bolts to the correct setting and remove the tool. That will prevent the plate from moving as you align the input shaft with it. Also means you don't have to faff about tightening them with the box in place.

You did check that the clutch plate actually fits the gearbox?

Another thing I find helpful is use four lengths of studding instead of the bellhousing bolts to hold the gearbox while I adjust the input shaft. They don't need to be very long, 75mm is probably enough. I haven't done an Omega gearbox, but they are probably M10

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2015, 12:59:58 »

I'm assuming that your alignment tool is a snug fit in both the crankshaft pilot bearing and the clutch plate. If that's the case, then your clutch is aligned. Tighten the clutch cover bolts to the correct setting and remove the tool. That will prevent the plate from moving as you align the input shaft with it. Also means you don't have to faff about tightening them with the box in place.

You did check that the clutch plate actually fits the gearbox?

Another thing I find helpful is use four lengths of studding instead of the bellhousing bolts to hold the gearbox while I adjust the input shaft. They don't need to be very long, 75mm is probably enough. I haven't done an Omega gearbox, but they are probably M10
Even if the alignment tool (or an old 1st motion shaft) is a snug fit, you will find that the weight of the friction plate will pull it downward slightly.

When I fit a clutch I do the bolts on the cover/pressure plate up finger tight and then waggle the alignment tool up and down (mostly up) until I am happy the friction plate is centred, before  torquing the cover plate bolts.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2015, 13:47:49 »

Thanks for further advice, chaps. Without this forum I should be lost.
I did not check that the g/b input shaft fits the friction plate splines. I should be amazed if it did not, but prpbably worth checking just for peace of mind. I used a LASER universal clutch alignment tool, which mereely aligns friction plate with pressure plate. Bearing in mind Andy's comment, it might be worth realiging plates too.

I like your stud idea, Nick. I shall pursue that. I wnder where I can buy stud?

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2015, 14:07:16 »

On a Sunday probably homebase or b and q...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.