Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2001 Estate Wet Carpets  (Read 2373 times)

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
2001 Estate Wet Carpets
« on: 17 November 2015, 19:13:30 »

No idea where the water is coming from but I've found that both my rear footwell carpets are wet and I have mild under the mat. Any ideas where this will be coming in at all??

05omegav6

Re: 2001 Estate Wet Carpets
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2015, 19:48:58 »

Scuttle drains would be a start :y

Clock

• Liverpool
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2015, 20:02:56 »

Check the drain hole inside the scuttle.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90582.0

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2015, 20:12:51 »

A scuttle leak would make the front footwells wet too?

As it's the rears that are wet, I'd be looking at damaged door seals, rusty wheel arches or dislodged bungs in the floor.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2015, 20:14:53 »

I would expert blocked scuttle drain to flood the front carpets first. I have a car with rear left hand carpets wet, have yet to trace source, its not door drain holes, now suspect door seal.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2015, 20:20:46 »

A scuttle leak would make the front footwells wet too?

As it's the rears that are wet, I'd be looking at damaged door seals, rusty wheel arches or dislodged bungs in the floor.
Depending on how the car is parked, it could drain down the rear ducts first as they exit the heater box lower down ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2015, 21:35:26 »

Interesting. I have poked my scuttle drain through, so it ain't blocked now. There is little sign of more water appearing so far. I am drying my carpets out by extensive mopping up, then laying newspapers under them and changing them every few days.

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2015, 22:54:46 »

The fronts are definately dry and I park it on a completely flat surface and home and at work.i just find it strange that it's both rear carpets. Does the sunroof have a drain and if so where does it drain too??

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2015, 23:09:44 »

... Does the sunroof have a drain and if so where does it drain too??

Yes, they exit through the boot floor by the spare wheel & first aid compartment on a saloon ...... they must be similar on an estate ...... they're black plastic tubes maybe 5/8" dia (16mm Mark  ;))

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 November 2015, 20:54:04 »

Interesting. I have poked my scuttle drain through, so it ain't blocked now. There is little sign of more water appearing so far. I am drying my carpets out by extensive mopping up, then laying newspapers under them and changing them every few days.

I know the OP has rear carpets that are wet, but if the fronts are excessively wet too, can the water travel from the front to the rear if parked on a slope?
When this happened on several of my Omegas, because the scuttle drain had become blocked, only the front carpets were wet on mine, but having first cleared all the crap and silt from the scuttle drain, I attempted to dry the carpets with a vax, which removed some of the water but the problem is that all the thick foam under the carpet which has the wiring tracks in it will be absolutely saturated, because the water enters the cabin from the heater access, and runs down under the carpet directly into the foam rather on the top. That is why the first you know about it is a damp spot on the carpet, or the screen and side windows misting up excessively but it will be a lake in reality and no amount of mopping with a towel on top of the carpet will dry it properly. I lifted the carpet on mine to get to the foam underneath, undid the nuts securing the wire track so it can be lifted up as high as possible with the foam, and wedged it with a block of wood, so that I could slide my hand and an absorbent cloth under the foam, and then squeezed the foam from the top so that the cloth soaked up as much water as possible - which is a lot! And I kept at it for quite a while. You leave it for a brew, and it then seems as wet as it was initially! When it eventually seemed damp rather than wet, I got an old hairdryer (NOT a hot air gun!!!), set it on the very lowest setting, and then propped at the best angle to dry the foam. Don't set it too hot or you'll melt the foam! I let it run for 2- 3 hr periods at a time blowing luke warm, with the windows open as well, and after several days (!!!yes, days!!!) it drys out eventually. If it isn't properly dry, when you next use the car, it will mist up for fun, until the carpets are completely dry. Incidentally, I clear the scuttle now at every service......
« Last Edit: 19 November 2015, 20:59:04 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2015, 22:29:07 »

If you have one or can borrow one put a dehumidifier in there with the windows closed and that will suck out the damp.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2015, 10:02:24 »

I clean mine every 2 weeks :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2015, 10:10:11 »

Thanks to a combination of blocked scuttle drains, blocked drainage pipes, a cracked windscreen, a rusted windscreen frame and a leaking sunroof (yes, all of the above!) causing water ingress, I found after a heavy downpour the carpets to be wet. ('no Sh!t, Sherlock, as they say) Aside from obvious mopping, I found my car's own heating ducts worked incredibly well for drying her out. If I got a couple of good days of no rain, making sure the blowers were on high, at max temp, with the vents aimed at the feet, and on non-recirculate mode (to get the damp air out, of course) just as I was driving about got the carpets dry pretty effectively.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2015, 10:13:24 »

You need to remove the carpets from the car to dry them properly. The rear sound deadening foam is integral to the carpet, so any moisture still present will be trapped against the floorpan regardless of how much mopping up you try.

Similarly, the underlay im the front is a plasticised foam which goes brittle over time, allowing water    to soak in. This might also be the first sign you get of a heater matrix leak, especially in the drivers footwell as a puddle won't manifest itself on the carpet until it's too late... That foam will hold gallons of liquid before it shows as anything more than a damp patch.

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2015, 17:40:56 »

Check the inner wheel arch behind the wheel near where the suspension arm passes, this a common area of corrosion along the seam and will let plenty of water in to the rear footwell.  If you lift the rear seat up you can see the seam and check for corrosion there too.

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2015, 17:16:01 »

Well I went and had the car washed today (yes I was idle it was too cold lol) and on my return the rear carpets were soaked again. I felt around the edges of the carpet and the sides were not wet it was just near the rear of the centre console and the flat surface so I popped the bonnet and hey presto the drain under the pollen filter was completely blocked and it was almost full to the top. Now drained, cleaned and flowing freely. Soaked up loads of water and sat with hair dryer for what felt like an eternity so we shall now wait and see.

Thanks for the advice chaps

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2015, 21:03:54 »

Do yourself a mahoosive favour...

Pull the carpet out and dry it out properly ::)

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2015, 00:09:52 »

Is it a major job to remove it?.....is it all in one piece or is the rear carpet seperate??

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2015, 06:49:55 »

Is it a major job to remove it?.....is it all in one piece or is the rear carpet seperate??
In three parts... Rear, NS front, os front.

To remove the rear you need to...

Pop the covers off the back of the front seat runners, one Philips screw.
Slide the front seats as far forward and as high as they go.
Unscrew both rear bolts on both front seats.
Pull the two handles infront of the seat base and lift the front edge up.
Start in one back corner and pull the carpet out from under the sill trim, only a1/4" overlap.
And work your way forward. Repeat tother side.
Then at the back of the tunnel lift the carpet up and pull it up and back away from the centre console. It is stapled loosely to the front carpets under the console near the handbrake. Simply tug and it ought to come free.
Refit seat base and front seat bolts and the car remains perfectly useable.

If it all goes Pete Tong, then worry not... ALL Omega rear carpets are identical. Fronts are obviously sided left and right but also differ left to right hand drive.

:y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.