Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater matrix  (Read 2636 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Heater matrix
« on: 20 November 2015, 11:43:00 »

Hi oof,a quick question.A very kind forum member said he would help me do a matrix flush today,But for love nor money he could not get the pipes to pull off.He did not want to break them as i would have been unable to move the car,from his drive.Do you think i should try some Wynn's coolant flush,or try to source some new or secondhand matrix pipes if the old ones break. :y Dean.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Heater matrix
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2015, 11:48:06 »

I made some bungs to go in the other end of the heater hoses so I didn't need to disturb the bulkhead fittings. Mine are threaded for standard Hoselock fittings to speed up the flushing process, but that isn't really necessary.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2015, 12:06:33 »

I made some bungs to go in the other end of the heater hoses so I didn't need to disturb the bulkhead fittings. Mine are threaded for standard Hoselock fittings to speed up the flushing process, but that isn't really necessary.
Hi Nick,can you tell me what you did.Maybe i can do the same,Regards Dean. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2015, 12:27:56 »

For the simple version, cut 2 pieces of 25mm aluminium bar 60mm long. Turn one end to 12mm diameter(for the garden hose) and the other to 21mm(for the heater hose); make each of these diameters 25mm long which should leave a step 10mm in the middle. Put a wide chamfer on each end so you don't damage any of the hoses, and then drill an 8mm hole all the way through. These bungs 'fit into the heater hoses, and give a nice secure point to attach your garden hose both for supply and drain; attach each with jubilee clips.

You will also need to make a third part which is a simple plug for the other hose from the bypass valve; this is just a solid bung 21mm diameter.

if you PM me your address I'll stick some in the post for you.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2015, 16:43:56 »

Hi Nick. Sorry to but in, but does your kind offer extend to others? Obviously, I would re-imburse you. I'm an Electronics Engineer, not a Mechanical one, so my limited foray into lathe use caused great hilarity amongst my colleagues, so no way could I make anything like that myself.
I love the idea of coupling up to a Hoselock system - brilliant!

Ron.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2015, 16:47:57 »

I have to say my ears pricked up a bit when he said this, haha. It seems an easy enough 'just bung the pipe on and get flushing' however, some I've seen have spent literally hours just trying to get the things on, before even starting to flush the coolant, which in itself takes a fair bit of time....

Nick, I'd start setting up an Amazon shop, if I were you...  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2015, 17:25:11 »

I now have two sets of these; my originals with Hoselock Q/R fittings, and some simple ones that need the garden hose attached with Jubilee clips as described(slightly longer, but that was a function of cutting the piece of stock in half).

My intention was to keep the originals, but these things are so easy to make(and hopefully I won't need them again!) that I'll send them out as well. Dean and Ron, PM me your addresses and I'll get them to you for whatever the postage comes to.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2015, 15:02:32 »

For the simple version, cut 2 pieces of 25mm aluminium bar 60mm long. Turn one end to 12mm diameter(for the garden hose) and the other to 21mm(for the heater hose); make each of these diameters 25mm long which should leave a step 10mm in the middle. Put a wide chamfer on each end so you don't damage any of the hoses, and then drill an 8mm hole all the way through. These bungs 'fit into the heater hoses, and give a nice secure point to attach your garden hose both for supply and drain; attach each with jubilee clips.

You will also need to make a third part which is a simple plug for the other hose from the bypass valve; this is just a solid bung 21mm diameter.

if you PM me your address I'll stick some in the post for you.
Hi Nick,can i say first of all thank you so much for your kind offer its much appreciated.But i don't think i would even know how or where to attach the bungs.Kind Regards Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2015, 23:42:46 »

I now have two sets of these; my originals with Hoselock Q/R fittings, and some simple ones that need the garden hose attached with Jubilee clips as described(slightly longer, but that was a function of cutting the piece of stock in half).

My intention was to keep the originals, but these things are so easy to make(and hopefully I won't need them again!) that I'll send them out as well. Dean and Ron, PM me your addresses and I'll get them to you for whatever the postage comes to.
Hi Nick,hope you are well.Can i ask if you still have a set of theses bung things.My forum mechanic friend said he may be able to do my matrix flush with them.Can you please let me know,Regards Dean.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2015, 10:12:06 »

Hi Nick,hope you are well.Can i ask if you still have a set of theses bung things.My forum mechanic friend said he may be able to do my matrix flush with them.Can you please let me know,Regards Dean.

PM me your address and I'll post them to you.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2015, 15:08:12 »

Nick's a good 'un  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.