Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kaput LPG system  (Read 3892 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Kaput LPG system
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2015, 09:49:21 »

Yes mines the Prins VSI and has the same switch as in the photos. What I really meant is, given that it's not genuine Prins software is it worth a punt?  :-\

The other thing that has occurred to me today is that the filter hasn't been changed for ages so that might be clogged, but would that cause a sudden shut down?  :-\

Worth a punt? How much are you willing to lose? Without diagnostics you are urinating in a strong breeze until you find the fault ;)

Unlikely to be filter..l mines done over 57k on LPG now without a filter change :-[ ::)
That reminds me, reckon that would help with my worsenening idle?
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2015, 11:05:33 »

Yes mines the Prins VSI and has the same switch as in the photos. What I really meant is, given that it's not genuine Prins software is it worth a punt?  :-\

The other thing that has occurred to me today is that the filter hasn't been changed for ages so that might be clogged, but would that cause a sudden shut down?  :-\

Worth a punt? How much are you willing to lose? Without diagnostics you are urinating in a strong breeze until you find the fault ;)

Unlikely to be filter..l mines done over 57k on LPG now without a filter change :-[ ::)
That reminds me, reckon that would help with my worsenening idle?
Possibly. But, to be honest, I've never found any change to the vapour filters over age. Did you ever change the nozzles?

It could be heavy ends in the vap but, again, not really noticed that much on modern systems.

Only real solution is better injectors... Gixer's seems pretty spot on since the new ones went on
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2015, 16:50:23 »

I ordered the lead and software today so that will be interesting when it arrives.  :)

The other thing that I thought about today is the tank solenoid, so I ran it from cold and when it attempts to switch over there is nothing happening at the tank.  So I'm wondering if the solenoid on the tank valve is buggered, as usually there is a distinct click from the tank when it switches.  :-\

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2015, 17:04:35 »

I ordered the lead and software today so that will be interesting when it arrives.  :)

The other thing that I thought about today is the tank solenoid, so I ran it from cold and when it attempts to switch over there is nothing happening at the tank.  So I'm wondering if the solenoid on the tank valve is buggered, as usually there is a distinct click from the tank when it switches.  :-\
Have you, ermmmm, 'tapped' it with something. Like, for instance, a big hammer? ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2015, 17:11:31 »

Have you, ermmmm, 'tapped' it with something. Like, for instance, a big hammer? ;D

I didn't think that sort of thing was encouraged here....  :-\  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2015, 17:52:38 »

Possible... Not really much to go wrong though. More likely to be a wiring fault to it ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 November 2015, 14:10:10 »

Tank solenoid is just that. Should get a 12V feed when it tries to switch over to gas, and if you disconnect it and check ohms across the coil with a multimeter, I would reckon on seeing somewhere from tens to a couple of hundred ohms.

You can also try applying a 12V supply across it and see if it clicks. Possible that the coil has gone open circuit or the mechanical part of the valve has seized.

You should have a similar valve at the front end, fed from the same feed. Might be worth seeing if that clicks when you switch over?

A failed tank valve, although rare, would probably explain your symptoms.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 November 2015, 16:36:30 »

Tank solenoid is just that. Should get a 12V feed when it tries to switch over to gas, and if you disconnect it and check ohms across the coil with a multimeter, I would reckon on seeing somewhere from tens to a couple of hundred ohms.

You can also try applying a 12V supply across it and see if it clicks. Possible that the coil has gone open circuit or the mechanical part of the valve has seized.

You should have a similar valve at the front end, fed from the same feed. Might be worth seeing if that clicks when you switch over?

A failed tank valve, although rare, would probably explain your symptoms.

Yes there is a click at the front end when it attempts to switch over.  I guess from the vapouriser?  :-\

Anyway my diagnostic kit is winging it's way from Germany as we speak!  :y  Although I probably won't be able to make head nor tail of it!!  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 November 2015, 19:09:03 »

Yes, click at the front will be on the vapouriser. :y

I will without doubt be over your way sometime within the next month, so would be happy to take a look if it's not sorted.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 November 2015, 19:58:41 »

I might take you up on that Kevin. Thanks!  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 December 2015, 16:24:08 »

Well my Prins software and lead came today.  I just have to try and make head and tail of it now.  :-\   ::)   ;D

melboy

• United Kingdom
    • omega elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 December 2015, 21:01:43 »

Gas valves can play up bad connection (wires) or not working some systems have one at the tank itself and another in the engine compartment 1 or 2 depending on gas system .

melboy

• United Kingdom
    • omega elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 December 2015, 21:20:54 »

Came across this once before having fit 3 cars with LPG but I had the software and had to reset the system again no problem with parts just software like any software over time can start to play up.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 December 2015, 09:00:19 »

Came across this once before having fit 3 cars with LPG but I had the software and had to reset the system again no problem with parts just software like any software over time can start to play up.

Never had to reset the software on any of the 3 vehicles I have owned or several more I have helped out on. But, I say again, that it is most likely to be wiring from the description, especially as it appears that the wiring has been botched at some point

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 December 2015, 17:23:00 »

Well I can't get the diagnostics software to work.  ::)  I thought it was going to be a plug in and play type thing but it's turning out to be a bit more involved and might be beyond me.  :-\   Not one to give up I'll keep messing about with it though.  ::)

So I turned my attention back to the car and ran a direct 12V feed to the tank solenoid which worked and I also unpicked the bodged up wiring again and unpicked it a bit further than before and while it's not ideal I don't think it's caused the system to shut down.  :-\

Given that the tank solenoid works, I guess that there must be a fault somewhere that is either causing the ECU to prevent the solenoid to work or a physical problem like a broken wire.  :-\  Sadly vehicle electrics ain't my strong point.  :(
« Last Edit: 02 December 2015, 17:34:42 by Sir Tigger »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.