Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Further info  (Read 1352 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Further info
« on: 21 November 2015, 15:39:54 »

Following my recent posts in "what have you done..." This morning checked header tank-level ok,aux belt intact and running where it should.So got home from work and started car and let it stand ticking over.At 40mins temp gauge indicated 90 at 45mins this had risen to 95 and 2 mins later 100 and climbing.None of the fans kicked in so I shut it off.It would seem then that the fans for some reason are no longer operating.If I set heaters to auto the front fans don't run but they never have as the aircon has never worked either!But I do know that in the past they have fired up if water temp has risen to the point where the fans are needed to cool it down.So what controls the fans?I assume that the front fans are fused  separately to the rear fan?But if I know which fuses they are I can check those.So what else is the most likely culprit to cancel out both fans?And where do I find it/them?
ps all pipes were hot and rad was hot top to bottom,heaters blowing hot etc.basically I'm lost on this  :-[

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Further info
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2015, 16:14:56 »

ha,found a bit in maintenance section about replacing fan switch.Does this switch control all 3 fans?As this could be likely culprit-unless someone has other options?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2015, 16:32:43 »

Did you find the posts discussing how to test the fans? I cannot remember whether anyone managed to turn it into a proper maintenance guide :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2015, 16:38:34 »

Fans are indeed switched separately from the gauge and ecu... As Andy suggests, there's a guide hereaboots :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2015, 16:45:29 »

Did you find the posts discussing how to test the fans? I cannot remember whether anyone managed to turn it into a proper maintenance guide :-\
Found it http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=124062.msg1580652#msg1580652 (it appears that it didn't get rewritten as a guide  :()

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2015, 19:08:10 »

Thanks for replies guys.If/as/when we get some decent enough weather I'll see about doing those checks in the link.Assuming switch in rad is kaput where to get them from?I've had a quick scan on flea bay and prices vary massively from just less than a fiver to twenty odd quid :D Or is it yet another case of genuine GM  from genuine dealership?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2015, 19:22:26 »

I don't see it as being a failed thermostat,surely the fans would still kick in?or am I wrong on that?Seems to me however that should get up to temp quicker than it does,although thermostat isn't that old,but I suppose the infrequent use of car may cause such a thing as the stat sticking?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2015, 12:11:51 »

Now I really am stumped! Got handbook out to find out which fuse/what rating controls rad fan.Ok so fuse 4 15amp job,right off out to car open fuse box and check fuse,er......... what fuse?There was no fuse of any rating where it should be nor any sign of one where for some reason it may have fallen out ??? I've never opened fuse box before,yet I know for fact that the rad fan has worked in the past,so what's going off? :-\ Anyway put new fuse in and ran car up fan now kicks in and keeps temp in check,so all good until next breakdown :D Mystery of missing fuse never likely to be solved ???

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2015, 12:30:28 »

Garage or AA man using it for summat else perhaps :-\

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2015, 12:37:21 »

Hmm,you could have a point there as it was in garage other week for mot repairs[bottom balljoint and front to rear brake pipe]so I suppose they could've "borrowed" it,seems only explanation that makes sense.A least it was a cheap fix :y

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2015, 15:24:28 »

Hmm,you could have a point there as it was in garage other week for mot repairs[bottom balljoint and front to rear brake pipe]so I suppose they could've "borrowed" it,seems only explanation that makes sense.A least it was a cheap fix :y
You're taking that very well. The incompetent bastids could have cost you a cooked engine. I'd be letting them know.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2015, 18:09:34 »

Yes I suppose they could've caused a cooked motor.however I have no proof that the fuse was there before and then not after,so I see no point in doing my fruit over it.It's a lesson learned and I shan't be using that garage again.Trouble is on the odd occasion that car is used at this time of year so it's hardly up to temp never mind overheating-,why it did so the other night I don't know as subsequent trial took nearly an hours running to come close to same point-so I'd not generally notice lack of cooling fan until next summer!!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2015, 19:10:55 »

Now I really am stumped! Got handbook out to find out which fuse/what rating controls rad fan.Ok so fuse 4 15amp job,right off out to car open fuse box and check fuse,er......... what fuse?There was no fuse of any rating where it should be nor any sign of one where for some reason it may have fallen out ??? I've never opened fuse box before,yet I know for fact that the rad fan has worked in the past,so what's going off? :-\ Anyway put new fuse in and ran car up fan now kicks in and keeps temp in check,so all good until next breakdown :D Mystery of missing fuse never likely to be solved ???
Did you go to Newent this year? There was a mysterious fuse thief on the loose (allegedly) http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=117330.msg1490393#msg1490393  ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2015, 19:04:52 »

No sadly most meets[if not all]take place too far away for me to "do" in a day.Having said that what with one thing and another I've not been to any shows with the ABS either this year-a first since the late 90's :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.