Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shock Absorbers 2.2 Diesel  (Read 820 times)

richardgrey

• Chipping Campden
    • Omega 2.2 Diesel Estate
    • View Profile
Shock Absorbers 2.2 Diesel
« on: 22 November 2015, 10:00:01 »

Hi all,

I had my Omega on the ramp having hand brake tightened the other day. When doing so I mentioned to the mechanic that I when I go over pot holes, speed bumps etc there is a noise from the rear of the cat. He had a look and said both shock absorbers would fail the next MOT.

He also said that they are load levelling ones (means nothing to me as I am not technical).

Does anyone know the typical cost of repairing this job at a garage, or is anyone able to undertake this task for me?

I am based on the edge of North Gloucestershire but happy to travel anywhere really if it is likely to save me lots of money.  2 months ago I was quoted 600 quid for a ballast at a garage, I ended up getting this sorted for 10 quid plus fuel from a lovely chap on here.

Thanks in advance.

05omegav6

Re: Shock Absorbers 2.2 Diesel
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2015, 10:46:51 »

Parts will cost about £270-300 for both shocks and the fitting kit, both genuine only...

And about an hour or two to fit depending on how rusted up the bolts are :y

richardgrey

• Chipping Campden
    • Omega 2.2 Diesel Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2015, 10:50:15 »

Hi,

So basically even if someone with the know how on here by the time I slip them some cash for doing it I will be looking at over 300 quid?

Do I need to have load levelling ones? Is it possible these may have been put on by a previous owner towing a caravan?

Rich

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2015, 10:52:39 »

If it`s the Elite model it will have self-levelling. You can revert to "normal" shocks but rear springs should ideally be changed also as S/L ones are "softer".
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2015, 10:58:34 »

If it`s the Elite model it will have self-levelling. You can revert to "normal" shocks but rear springs should ideally be changed also as S/L ones are "softer".
So basically more cost effective to fix existing set up than replace, given a set of springs will add more the the cost savings on the shocks, especially when you factor in the extra labour ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2015, 13:05:04 »

So basically more cost effective to fix existing set up than replace, given a set of springs will add more the the cost savings on the shocks, especially when you factor in the extra labour ;)
Yes but if original they will be pretty soft by now and highly likely to have lost the pigtails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.