Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken timing belt  (Read 15329 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Broken timing belt
« on: 26 November 2015, 08:42:04 »

Hi guys, not been on here for a while now but looking some advice. I've been offered a 3.2 auto elite at little money. The problem is that it's not running due to the fan belt breaking and snagging the timing belt, or so I'm told! The bodywork is in excellent condition as is the jnterior. I currently have a 2.6 cd, the bodywork is getting a little rough but the engine is going perfect.
2 questions then

What are my chances of resurrecting the 3.2 engine, what kind of engine damage will have been done?

If I can't resurrect the 3.2 engine is it a massive job to drop my 2.6 in?

Thanks in advance guys
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Broken timing belt
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2015, 10:27:07 »

Never done it myself, but many an OOFer has dropped an engine in with very little fuss. There'll be plenty on here who would be able to help.

What may in fact be a possible is for you to use the 3.2 bottom end, and basically replace the heads and so on (whatever/if anything is damaged) from the 2.6 and make a 'mongrel' with your 2.6 and 3.2

Not 100% where you stand fitting 2.6 heads on a 3.2, I think you can, though, it's the block which is the major difference. I'm a 2.5 man, as you see, so no expert on the later engines.  :)

Certainly if you've a possibly scrap 3.2 and a whole spare 2.6, you're 'sitting pretty' and could have one complete running car very soon.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2015, 10:41:03 »

Damage is normally limited to bent valves and cracked guides - requiring replacement heads.
You would need a pair of heads from a breakers, head gaskets, stem seals (silly not to change them when it is already in bits) head bolts, manifold gaskets (at least the drivers side one) various O rings etc. cambelt kit, water pump aux belt.

The 2.6 should be a straight swap but is it due for cambelt, water pump etc? this could tip you decision towards refurbing the 3.2.

Dont think you can use 2.6 heads on a 3.2.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2015, 10:45:10 »

2.6 heads will fit onto a 3.2, they require a little bit of porting on the inlet manifold side and will raise the compression a bit (not an issue as the 2.6 and 3.2 are lower compression than the 2.5/3.0 to reduce NOx without EGR). Needs the use of 3.2 head gaskets.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2015, 10:51:12 »

So it's not out of the question then, that's good! I'd ideally like to fix the 3.2 and flog my own as the money for my own should more than cover the costs for buying and repairing the 3.2, that's all depending on the damage caused obviously but I'm  seriously thinking about going for it. Not too sure about the automatic though, I've only driven an auto omega once!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2015, 10:57:29 »

Personally I fail to see how a broken fan belt can snag a timing belt.  You may have a nice cheap motor that is easy to resolve (ie no need to change/repair engine)

Maybe it overheated and cooked the HG in which case the repair is fairly straight-forward.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2015, 11:06:49 »

Ahhh, you could open a whole new thread regarding auto v manual

For me, I personally love them, and feel along with manual chokes, manual advancing and retarding of the ignition, non-servo brakes, etc am surprised that autos aren't consigned to history for the most part; or at least that the vast majority of cars aren't auto, especially given the abilities now with dual clutch and dsg, tiptronic, paddleshift etc... that 75%+ of new car's dont feature some kind of 'power assisted/automatic' gearchanging element. In fact, 75% of new cars sold are still manual. Making autos feel still a little 'special' - for me.

However, of course the purist element (and rightly so) still wants it, also car makers and buyers do, because it's cheaper.

I'm voting manual - in an Omega, because that's what the car's designed for - going in a straight line, with as little fuss and aggro for the driver as possible. That means, for me, sitting at a  constant speed, my feet off the pedals, heated backside, climate controlled air. I see a roundabout ahead, I click the cruise off with the smallest move of my finger, and only gently apply the nicely weighted brake when required. Nice and relaxed, no fuss, Margarita Taylor on Classic FM, thank you very much. Ahhh....  :y

If you feel you can't be doing with the loss of the left pedal, then a conversion is very, very possible, and (apparently) easy enough. Again, you've got the bits, and the choice  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2015, 11:07:57 »

Also Mr Guffer makes a fine point - theres a great big panel covering the timing gear for exactly the reason - to avoid damage. SO your timing in theory should be fine. No idea what could be lurking in that engine, but whatever repair should be straighforward enough  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2015, 11:13:30 »

Sounds like it could be worth a punt!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2015, 11:23:35 »

Personally I fail to see how a broken fan belt can snag a timing belt.  You may have a nice cheap motor that is easy to resolve (ie no need to change/repair engine)

Maybe it overheated and cooked the HG in which case the repair is fairly straight-forward.
If the tensioner fails, it can seize, the resulting friction doesn't take long to melt the pulley and soften the aux belt... When, not if, the aux belt lets go, all bets are off... As the tail whips round, if the debris fractures the timing cover, it doesn't take much to snag in the timing gear causing the cambelt to either jump or snap... Suspect all the damage will be between the cambelt tensioner and cam 3 :-\

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2015, 11:37:33 »

So worst case scenario then is that I end up with one good car and one scrapper. It doesn't seem like I'm going to be out a fortune in parts but I guess I'll know better once I get it opened up and ill still get scrap value for my own so it's not going to cost me a lot either way. Will keep u posted once I go have a proper look

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2015, 12:48:44 »

Seen it happen a few times  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2015, 13:22:46 »

Seen it happen a few times  :y

Fair one :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2015, 13:29:22 »

The belt gets shredded into lengths, these drop behind the crank aux pulley and onto the cam belt crank sprocket..........belt jumps and engine stops.  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2015, 10:55:27 »

anybody made a guard to prevent this happening?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.