Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken timing belt  (Read 15336 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Broken timing belt
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2015, 11:04:47 »

I'd say there'd be 'no point'... that's no point in inverted commas, as in theory, this shouldn't happen within the 40k/4 years service interval for the belt/kit. Logically, if anyone cares enough about their car to fabricate a guard to prevent such a failure, they probably care enough to actually change the belt/pulleys when they're due. If you do this, then (in theory) no such failure will ever occur. There have of course been cases of failures before the 40k limit (not sure if same can be said for <4 years, too, though?)  A guard is a fair idea, though. :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2015, 11:29:18 »

anybody made a guard to prevent this happening?

Pretty much impossible as the cam cover already gets pretty close to the pulley

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2015, 15:08:14 »

Is there a specified time to change an auxillary belt  or should  it always be done with a cam belt change.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2015, 15:36:08 »

Is there a specified time to change an auxiliary belt  or should  it always be done with a cam belt change.

Not really, as it's easily examined for damage/wear, and losing it rarely causes further problems. Plus most serpentine belts problems are caused by the tensioner bearings failing, rather than the belt.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2015, 16:54:51 »

£27 ish main dealer, and a bit cheaper if you shop around for equally good quality. Plenty of choices. As said, easy enough to check, and easy to pop off and flex to examine for signs of cracking.

Small 'beware' tip - mine was getting changed as a matter of course anyway, given its age, but I examined the old one as you do and there was some very small cracking / crazing on close inspection, plus one single very fine, but clearly split right along its width, going about half way through  :y. So I'd advise anyone to have good look along the entire length of the aux belt, as mind looked 'fine' apart from one very thin, easily missed split which could have been a bit catastrophic, had it failed.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2015, 15:33:20 »

I had a look in that area today and it is difficult to see how any bits of the auxilary belt can get to the cam belt unless the cover was penetrated.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2015, 15:34:23 »

Okay guys bit if an update. Just had a good look at the motor. Interior is spotless. Exterior is in v.g.c 95% rust free and you have to look very hard to find the few spots. Engine wise the fan belt is shredded and there is a small scrape on the top drivers side of the timing belt cover. Doesn't look very deep but it has gone through the cover. Is it possible it may have just jumped the timing and if so what is the likely damage?? Engine bay and engine itself looks in v.g.c also so I went ahead and bought it. Haven't got it home yet bug can't wait to get it in the shed and start stripping!
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2015, 15:55:11 »

sounds good .A nice project for the winter :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 November 2015, 16:49:56 »

Okay guys bit if an update. Just had a good look at the motor. Interior is spotless. Exterior is in v.g.c 95% rust free and you have to look very hard to find the few spots. Engine wise the fan belt is shredded and there is a small scrape on the top drivers side of the timing belt cover. Doesn't look very deep but it has gone through the cover. Is it possible it may have just jumped the timing and if so what is the likely damage?? Engine bay and engine itself looks in v.g.c also so I went ahead and bought it. Haven't got it home yet bug can't wait to get it in the shed and start stripping!

There is a chance that the timing has slipped enough to stop it running but not enough to get piston valve contact,worth a careful check before you start ripping heads of.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2015, 17:55:29 »

That's what I'm hoping HenryD. Will get a decent look once I get it home but I won't get time to collect it until the 12th. At £350 though I think it's a steal. I am aware of the saying "if it seems too good to be true it generally is". Fingers crossed anyway!!!!

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2015, 00:24:28 »

Aux belt changed at correct intervals should eliminate the problem.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2016, 18:38:24 »

Got the motor home before Xmas but with work and moving house have not yet had a chance to operate on it ye. Went down this evening to the pedal trick and all I'm getting is continuous flashing light. This means no fault codes but am I right in thinking this is a good sign as to the condition of the engine?? Surely if the timing is off or any damage from the broken aux belt there would be a fault code coming up?

powerslinky

« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2016, 18:51:59 »

Got the motor home before Xmas but with work and moving house have not yet had a chance to operate on it ye. Went down this evening to the pedal trick and all I'm getting is continuous flashing light. This means no fault codes but am I right in thinking this is a good sign as to the condition of the engine?? Surely if the timing is off or any damage from the broken aux belt there would be a fault code coming up?

Is that not an imobiliser issue ?  . . . has key been messed with, taken apart or dropped ?
« Last Edit: 05 January 2016, 19:02:25 by Essex Big Al »

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2016, 19:16:30 »

Is that not an imobiliser issue ?  . . . has key been messed with, taken apart or dropped ?

Just checked the maintenance  guide again and it says constant flashing indicates no fault codes

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 January 2016, 19:18:48 »

Surely if the timing is off or any damage from the broken aux belt there would be a fault code coming up?
Nope, not necessarily.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.