Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust ...sigh  (Read 8211 times)

feeutfo

Re: Exhaust ...sigh
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2012, 22:57:40 »

only posting as i need one p0430 code what side is this on.
That's a cat issue, or more specifically a pre cat issue, and really is nothing to worry about. Although the light is annoying. It's a well covered subject, so worth a search and a look through the guides. There is a guide on relocating the second lambda, if you can find someone to weld etc. it's cheaper.

My search here really relates to the system from the cats back. Pipe work and silencers etc. replacememt of which will have no affect on 0420/0430 pre cat efficiency codes.
Hth

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2012, 23:50:26 »

Yeah there's a complication with hand made, noise issues aside, I have yet to fit irmscher back box and bumper and would want that in place prior to hand made being fitted.
But I can't do that because mines so fragile it would fall to bits leaving nothing to clamp on to. I could probably get round that with some faffing, but it would be easier and cheaper to fit irmscher bumper and back box, with exhaust mid sectionson on the drive job done.

I also spoke to Jetex, their mid sections won't fit anyway as they use a 63.5mm bore. What's on the car now is 50.5 according to my vernias, so would have to reduce the mid section ends down to fit the irmscher rear box.
 Although I've just noticed they do custom fit, so might be able to alter thier mid section ends then post them out. Still £300 plus vat just for mid sections though. :-\

As you have already seen, Jetex do reducers for custom build so this may help you to link up to the Irmscher back box. I have a stainless Jetex on mine and it is a very good fit but at over £300 for just the centre's I can see why you would be reluctant.
If you want to go stainless your choice would seem to be:
Jetex or similar middle boxes with reducers to join up with Irmscher back box so that you can fit it yourself
or
Saw off your exhaust's just after the middle boxes so that the hangers still support it, fit your Irmscher bumper, put your Irmscher exhaust in the boot and drive to a Longlife centre and ask them to make the Cats back bits to join the two sections. It wouldn't be that noisy for just that one journey.  ;D

Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: 28 February 2012, 23:57:28 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 29 February 2012, 01:23:30 »

Yeah there's a complication with hand made, noise issues aside, I have yet to fit irmscher back box and bumper and would want that in place prior to hand made being fitted.
But I can't do that because mines so fragile it would fall to bits leaving nothing to clamp on to. I could probably get round that with some faffing, but it would be easier and cheaper to fit irmscher bumper and back box, with exhaust mid sectionson on the drive job done.

I also spoke to Jetex, their mid sections won't fit anyway as they use a 63.5mm bore. What's on the car now is 50.5 according to my vernias, so would have to reduce the mid section ends down to fit the irmscher rear box.
 Although I've just noticed they do custom fit, so might be able to alter thier mid section ends then post them out. Still £300 plus vat just for mid sections though. :-\

As you have already seen, Jetex do reducers for custom build so this may help you to link up to the Irmscher back box. I have a stainless Jetex on mine and it is a very good fit but at over £300 for just the centre's I can see why you would be reluctant.
If you want to go stainless your choice would seem to be:
Jetex or similar middle boxes with reducers to join up with Irmscher back box so that you can fit it yourself
or
Saw off your exhaust's just after the middle boxes so that the hangers still support it, fit your Irmscher bumper, put your Irmscher exhaust in the boot and drive to a Longlife centre and ask them to make the Cats back bits to join the two sections. It wouldn't be that noisy for just that one journey.  ;D

Regards
Alan
;D the thought had crossed my mind Al. ;)

Might give Jetex a ring in the morning, see what they can do via the custom route.
Options seem to be;
Hand made (too noisy, expensive with dual pipes' power loss with single mid section???)
GM.             (too expensive for the poor quality)
Eternal.        (similar quality to GM but 1/3 the price, I hate eBay)
Other similar eBay (unknown)
Jetex.           (looks quality, but then it rather well should be at that price, noise?)

No other sport systems seem to supply for the omega.

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 29 February 2012, 01:27:01 »

Oh, and how is the Jetex for noise Al?

Ta

smithpa7

« Reply #19 on: 29 February 2012, 06:34:39 »

My father, who is a retired engineer, recently replaced his Omega exhaust. He used National Tyres? He thought the quality looked very average, however he gave it a chance for two weeks. He eventually had to insist on a replacement, as it was as noisy as hell!!

They replaced it with the following: "Euro Car Parts/ React/ Aluminised/ Premium/ 2 year guarantee". He felt the quality was significantly better and he feels it is almost as quiet as his original VX exhaust :y

It is hard to please the old devil ;D ;D ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 February 2012, 09:51:10 »

My father, who is a retired engineer, recently replaced his Omega exhaust. He used National Tyres? He thought the quality looked very average, however he gave it a chance for two weeks. He eventually had to insist on a replacement, as it was as noisy as hell!!

They replaced it with the following: "Euro Car Parts/ React/ Aluminised/ Premium/ 2 year guarantee". He felt the quality was significantly better and he feels it is almost as quiet as his original VX exhaust :y

It is hard to please the old devil ;D ;D ;D

Similar problem here with mine.
Was forced to stick 2 cheep centre sections on mine last year before I did the lpg.
Both was full off the bits of 3 cats that I had managed to burn out the year before  :'(

The car sounds crap tbh  :(  Like some chaved up boy racer  :(

Chris, if you have a look on ebay, they is a company (can't remember the name) that sell twin pipe and the centre section exhausts for our cars  :y
Looking at the pictures and discription, I believe they are made in the same factory as eternal  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 February 2012, 09:54:17 »

got a patched up true genuine GM one on my 3.2, not looking forward to that failing  :'(

Need a supplier who can do double walled non-stainless ones really  :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 February 2012, 11:26:50 »

Oh, and how is the Jetex for noise Al?

Ta

Hi Chris,
The only time you hear mild boom is under moderate acceleration and even then it is not even slightly annoying. It is quiet around town and at motorway speeds. I wouldn't say it is barely noticable, I would say it is not noticable. Part of me was disappointed that it didn't sound like a snarling beast but I'm also pleased that it is quiet. It sounds similar to my original GM exhaust when you give it some welly. Even Jetex state that they have gone for the best flow with minimum noise.  :y
The Jetex system is an exact copy of the original GM system but uses larger diameter pipe. Everything lined up perfectly and I fitted mine in the drive with just the rear wheels on ramps. I did soak the flange bolts with plus gas and tied rag soaked with plus gas around the flange bolts for two days prior to undoing the bolts.  :y
I'm not a fan of droney pipes and I certainly don't aprove of some outlets that cut flanges off and weld direct to existing parts.  ::)

In case you want to hear mine before making a decision a PM is on its way.  :y

Regards
Alan

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 February 2012, 17:34:12 »

Hi alan,

do you find the tail pipes a bit big or do they compliment the rear end? are the tailpipes the right length? are they slash cut like the original? do you have any pictures of it?

sorry for the 101 questions

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 February 2012, 18:47:56 »

Hi alan,

do you find the tail pipes a bit big or do they compliment the rear end? are the tailpipes the right length? are they slash cut like the original? do you have any pictures of it?

sorry for the 101 questions

The tailpipes are a bit large at twin 80mm but they fit nicely in the bumper cut-out on my estate and they grow on you.  :) They are not slash cut and neither do they follow the profile of the bumper like the original GM tailpipes.  :(  This is one area where they could be improved in my opinion. I do have photo's of mine but they are on my iphone and as I don't sync very often I'm buggered if I know how to email them to my own email so that I can get them on photobucket and then get them on here  :-[ (I'm at work at the moment). Whatever happened to "select photo and send", job done, like it used to be instead of all this icloud/GMail malarky.  :-[
Failing that, I'll post up the photo's from my laptop tomorrow (I am still capable of doing that)  ::) ;D

Regards
Alan

marrus69

• bracknell
    • 52 mv6 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 February 2012, 20:42:47 »

car going into vauxhall for 1 hour to sea what problem is £80 + vat,thay are not having two hours,im waiting and timing them.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 February 2012, 20:57:45 »

car going into vauxhall for 1 hour to sea what problem is £80 + vat,thay are not having two hours,im waiting and timing them.
Don't let it into Vauxhall :o :o We've already told you why you've got that code ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 29 February 2012, 21:00:09 »

Jesus don't give it to those idiots. They'll want to stick a new engine in it.
I'd strongly suggest a pm to Daz(think hes done this job) to re weld the second lambda post main cat.

feeutfo

« Reply #28 on: 29 February 2012, 21:03:23 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 February 2012, 21:43:34 »

Cancel appt with dealer. They will come back stating it needs a new cat (£400+). It doesn't. It needs a sensor moving, which GM cannot do.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.