Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust ...sigh  (Read 8199 times)

marrus69

• bracknell
    • 52 mv6 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust ...sigh
« Reply #30 on: 29 February 2012, 22:29:25 »

sea now im confused,this code does not mean the cat has gone,so im told,other items can cause this,so i was looking at them to tell me,i no the maniac at the workshop,but has to go through right channels to get it in thier he may take longer but i will still get charged 1 hour,mot is due soon,report back after tuesday if i need my sensors moving.thanks

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 February 2012, 22:34:16 »

sea now im confused,this code does not mean the cat has gone,so im told,other items can cause this,so i was looking at them to tell me,i no the maniac at the workshop,but has to go through right channels to get it in thier he may take longer but i will still get charged 1 hour,mot is due soon,report back after tuesday if i need my sensors moving.thanks
Trust us, we know what we're talking about ;)

If you take it in then they will tell you that you need new Cats at some astronomical price :o :o

All it needs is the rear sensors moving ;)

Just out of interest, what petrol do you use? There is a theory that quality fuel and an enthusiastic driving style can keep it at bay ::)
« Last Edit: 29 February 2012, 22:43:15 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

feeutfo

« Reply #32 on: 29 February 2012, 22:39:26 »

...there's no if about it. You do need your sensors moving. But they(vx) won't know a blind thing about any of that.

However, in effect, all moving the sensors does is turn the dash light off, by fixing the fault thar causes the engine code in the first place.

More importantly this will NOT fail the mot. It's not an emissions issue, because the main cat is working fine and doing its job.

Sadly vx will only waiste your money. Don't do it.

feeutfo

« Reply #33 on: 29 February 2012, 22:40:54 »

If you take it in then they will tell you that you need new Cats at some astronomical price :o :o

All it needs is the front sensors moving ;)

Just out of interest, what petrol do you use? There is a theory that quality fuel and an enthusiastic driving style can keep it at bay ::)
*cough, rear, cough cough* ;D ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 February 2012, 22:42:59 »

That's what it says :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 February 2012, 22:47:51 »

0420/0430 occur on mine twice a year ... 2/3 days after arrival in France, then 2/3 days after returning home. I am CONVINCED it is the change of fuel that the sensors pick up as an underperforming Cat.

so, new cat ?? move sensors ?? .... or  in my case .. buy a simple code reader/resetter for £80. Light comes on. stop. reader out of boot. read codes to check it is 0420/0430. reset. continue on my way until the next time.

When I changed from the old 2.5 to this 3.2 I was told on this forum it was not a matter of "if" this fault happens .. but "when" .... and as usual they were right.

You just have to choose your solution .....  :)
« Last Edit: 29 February 2012, 22:50:05 by Entwood »

feeutfo

« Reply #36 on: 29 February 2012, 22:48:01 »

That's what it says :-X ::)
I knew what you meant. ;)

Here's that diag again

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 March 2012, 12:46:32 »

0420/0430 occur on mine twice a year ... 2/3 days after arrival in France, then 2/3 days after returning home. I am CONVINCED it is the change of fuel that the sensors pick up as an underperforming Cat.

so, new cat ?? move sensors ?? .... or  in my case .. buy a simple code reader/resetter for £80. Light comes on. stop. reader out of boot. read codes to check it is 0420/0430. reset. continue on my way until the next time.

When I changed from the old 2.5 to this 3.2 I was told on this forum it was not a matter of "if" this fault happens .. but "when" .... and as usual they were right.

You just have to choose your solution .....  :)
Works for you, but others will have less joy, depending on condition of starting cats.

Moving, IMHO, is the permenent, workable, cost effective solution for most.

:)
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 March 2012, 18:53:37 »

Hi alan,

do you find the tail pipes a bit big or do they compliment the rear end? are the tailpipes the right length? are they slash cut like the original? do you have any pictures of it?

sorry for the 101 questions

To answer SMD's question, here's some pics of a Jetex system on my 3.2 estate.
Yes I know the towbars ugly and yes I would like a detachable one.  ::) :y
Would have preferred the tailpipes slash cut and profiled to bumper but hey ho.

(Sorry about poor quality photo)

A bit Max Power 'ish'

And the car it is fitted to

Regards
Alan
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 01 March 2012, 21:39:15 »

I can see fuel having an effect, but only because the pre cats are border line. My old 3.2 was fine in my ownership, but as soon as another owner had it, with a more sedate driving style, BING on came the light. If I'd had It back to drive the light would have gone off again.
 Although it would eventually come on and stay on no matter what, no doubt.
I often wonder about chiselling out the old pre cat innards, once the 2nd lambda has been moved, see if that frees up any flow. :-\

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 March 2012, 21:44:19 »

I can see fuel having an effect, but only because the pre cats are border line. My old 3.2 was fine in my ownership, but as soon as another owner had it, with a more sedate driving style, BING on came the light. If I'd had It back to drive the light would have gone off again.
 Although it would eventually come on and stay on no matter what, no doubt.
I often wonder about chiselling out the old pre cat innards, once the 2nd lambda has been moved, see if that frees up any flow. :-\

just chop the buggers off chris? lol
alex
V8!!!!

feeutfo

« Reply #41 on: 01 March 2012, 22:55:17 »

I presume, the size of a cat is calculated by the area of the material that sits in the flow. So the available exit area for the exhaust gas is the same...?

My concern surrounds the way the cat degrades. Does it collapse? Or is it just the coating gets thin and the chemical reaction fails. As the code suggests its an efficiency issue, they get bloody hot I'm sure.

marrus69

• bracknell
    • 52 mv6 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 March 2012, 23:44:24 »

Just out of interest, what petrol do you use? There is a theory that quality fuel and an enthusiastic driving style can keep it at bay
after having sensor one replaced filled up at bp then on to cardiff, stayed at a steady 65mph all the way,but on the way back was braking the spped limit it all the way thats when light came on, and a couple off times went in limp mode.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2012, 23:48:59 by marrus69 »

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 02 March 2012, 00:23:18 »

Just out of interest, what petrol do you use? There is a theory that quality fuel and an enthusiastic driving style can keep it at bay
after having sensor one replaced filled up at bp then on to cardiff, stayed at a steady 65mph all the way,but on the way back was braking the spped limit it all the way thats when light came on, and a couple off times went in limp mode.
it probably came on on a time basis, another 5mph won't make any odds. A proper blast might if the cats aren't too far gone. Sensors won't make any odds. It's not a fuel mixture issue. It's nothing to do with emissions. The emissions are fine.

It's to do with the actual honey comb coating of the cat material in the first cat. The second big cat is fine, these never/rarely fail. So, re locate the second lambda to a position downstream of the main cat, and the main cat will do the job of the first cat and clean the gases. Problem solved.

Although its no great problem anyway. It just brings the engine light on. Don't worry about it, and keep It out of Vauxhall.

Hang on, limp mode? That's another issue. Suggest do the pedal trick and re check the codes. Something else is going on here.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03 March 2012, 12:00:13 »

Jetex list a cat back system for 3.2 saloon, but it's over £500 and I probably don't need the back box anyway.

Only just noticed this Chris but last time I looked Demon Tweeks do the stainless Jetex cat back system for £472 inc vat.
I had one on my Senator and they sound nice but not noisey, a nice tone to them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.