Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do You Drive A Automatic..??  (Read 9277 times)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
How Do You Drive A Automatic..??
« on: 24 March 2012, 19:51:19 »

thing is when i was being to taught to drive by the L.A.S i was told by the instructor in an auto vehicle when in stationary traffic car should be taken from drive and placed in Neutral or Park...now i think the clue is in the title AUTOMATIC..hence i leave it in drive and either hold it on the foot/hand brake???....and also if you keep shifting from D to N / P does this not cause  more wear on the gear box??

Question is??.....how do you drive yours?????? :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

feeutfo

Re: How Do You Drive A Automatic..??
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2012, 19:53:24 »

Pop it in neutral neutral when stationary for "a long period" .

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
  • if all else fails hit it with a hammer
    • 2000 3.0 elite estate lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2012, 19:54:23 »

i put both the autos we own in nuetral to avoid overheating the oil and causing the torque converter or bands in gearbox fail, my 4x4 has been driven this way for past 6yrs with no problems, but it is a toyota lol
v6 locking kit , code reader available, engine hoist and engine stand

also has 2.6 mv6 estate 2001, hilux surf 3.0, vectra 2.0 lpg 2000

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • 99 2.5 V6, 03 2.2 CD FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2012, 20:00:05 »

Pop it in neutral neutral when stationary for "a long period" .

i do this too but misses hates it dont know why it saves foot ache from holding break and saves on gearbox
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Elm327 code reader And OP COM available Locally PM Me

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2012, 20:01:39 »

Mark...I must have driven close on 500k miles in autos  :o of many makes and I really don,t think I have EVER taken car out of drive when waiting at lights etc. :)

Tend to put it in Park when say waiting at a railway crossing as tend to be few minutes or maybe at road works but not under normal situations..unsure if it would wear anything out quicker..truth is just can,t be arsed  ;D  to move gearstick around thats part why I drive an auto  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2012, 20:10:11 »

It is also far more considerate to those behind you NOT to sit with your foot on the brake blinding them with bright lights, especially at night.

It is also more beneficial to your brake discs not to overheat a single spot that is clamped by the pads whilst the rest cools down .. a prime source of later problems

It is also more beneficial to the gearbox not to be working against the "locked" powertrain it is trying to turn

It is also more beneficial to your handbrake to actually use the mechanism (use it or lose it as the Master says) .. you won't use any brake surface as you are stationary ...

So, when you come to a halt, handbrake on, pop it into neutral for a short stop, park for a longer one .. :y :y :y :y

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2012, 20:13:44 »

At level lights I'll stick it in Neutral and pop the handbrake on (because, like Entwood, I abhor being blinded by someones brake lights.. BMW MINIs are particularly bad for this, they have brake lights like football stadium floodlights!).

If the lights are uphill I tend to leave it in D and pop the handbrake on - because otherwise I find myself sticking the handbrake on, putting it in Neutral then yanking the handbrake again because I'm rolling backward. Should probably fix that.. ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2012, 20:13:58 »

I was also taught by the LAS (1979-89) we used Bedfords for all of my service & they stood up very well to the hard use they got always left in D.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2012, 20:15:37 by Tilbo »

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2012, 20:16:26 »

...although forgetting its in neutral and trying to pull away is a bit annoying. ;D

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
  • if all else fails hit it with a hammer
    • 2000 3.0 elite estate lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2012, 20:17:41 »

not if it becomes second nature, if when stopped into n then when clear into d all time you soon get used to it
v6 locking kit , code reader available, engine hoist and engine stand

also has 2.6 mv6 estate 2001, hilux surf 3.0, vectra 2.0 lpg 2000

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2012, 20:30:00 »

...although forgetting its in neutral and trying to pull away is a bit annoying. ;D

Done that once or twice.. I've also (once!) gone from N to D while the revs were still (significantly) above idle. Doesn't have thump into gear!  :-[ :-[ (Anyone for an AR35, one careful owner? ;D)

Elite_L0ver

• Eastleigh, Hampshire
  • On too Omega #2
    • 99 2.5 V6, 03 2.2 CD FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2012, 20:32:21 »

:-[ done this a few times  :P
Likes My Music LOUD!!!!

Elm327 code reader And OP COM available Locally PM Me

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2012, 21:04:35 »

I was also taught by the LAS (1979-89) we used Bedfords for all of my service & they stood up very well to the hard use they got always left ]

where they V8'S??...mind you i was a bit after the old bedfords it was volvo 850 t5 and a couple of omegas as well.. :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2012, 21:45:14 »

Normally when i know im only going to be  stationary for a short time i just hold the brake, If not then in P...

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2012, 22:14:24 »

It is also far more considerate to those behind you NOT to sit with your foot on the brake blinding them with bright lights, especially at night.It is also more beneficial to your brake discs not to overheat a single spot that is clamped by the pads whilst the rest cools down .. a prime source of later problems

It is also more beneficial to the gearbox not to be working against the "locked" powertrain it is trying to turn

It is also more beneficial to your handbrake to actually use the mechanism (use it or lose it as the Master says) .. you won't use any brake surface as you are stationary ...

So, when you come to a halt, handbrake on, pop it into neutral for a short stop, park for a longer one .. :y :y :y :y

Agree with all above...especially with the blinding people behind, this really p1sses me off. Mainly happens behind Mercs, BMWs, Jags etc which you know are autos! I find, like  Aaron that Minis are bright - a bloody Penis Prius has got to be the worst!
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.