Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do You Drive A Automatic..??  (Read 9280 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Drive A Automatic..??
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2012, 22:27:50 »

Neutral and handbrake on.

From a safety point of view, if you are shunted up the arse, your foot will come off the brake (trust me on this), and that will leave you with an uncontrolled car in drive.

From a mechanical sympathy point of view, you are cooking the ATF, and compressing a small area of red hot disc with brake pads.
Grumpy old man

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 March 2012, 22:43:21 »

into neutral and handbrake for me, if im stationary in a manual im not about to hold the clutch pedal down with my foot, sod that so same applies in the auto  :y
but like people have said, if brakes are hot then holding them on can warp discs :)
V8!!!!

millwall

• Omega Baron
  • se london
  • no muff too tuff
    • accord type s
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2012, 22:54:28 »

on a mk 4 astra auto if you stop for more than 2 seconds the box puts itself into neutral and back into drive when footbrake released   thought my astra was faulty until i looked in the handbook and its supposed to do that

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2012, 23:18:03 »

on a mk 4 astra auto if you stop for more than 2 seconds the box puts itself into neutral and back into drive when footbrake released   thought my astra was faulty until i looked in the handbook and its supposed to do that

All the FWD VX auto's with an AW box do this, apparently it saves fuel by .00000000000001% or something!

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2012, 23:24:35 »

All the FWD VX auto's with an AW box do this, apparently it saves fuel by .00000000000001% or something!

That makes it all worthwhile then lol  :y :y
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 March 2012, 07:40:08 »

Useful article on auto gearbox driving.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/automatic-gearboxes.aspx

Taken from the article:-

'When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox. No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary.'

I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 March 2012, 09:46:41 »

I noticed that with the auto Asta SWMBO usd to have .......... never read the manual though  ::) ::) I found that it would engage drive with a bit of a thump if you were a bit quick trying to pull away if you didn't give it a chance to get into drive first.

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 25 March 2012, 10:03:09 »

I noticed that with the auto Asta SWMBO usd to have .......... never read the manual though  ::) ::) I found that it would engage drive with a bit of a thump if you were a bit quick trying to pull away if you didn't give it a chance to get into drive first.
Similar sort of thing to auto start. On a courtesy golf blumotion I had, there was a pause in take up on the throttle to allow for the driver engaging drive while the starter motor was engaged.... stupid idea.

feeutfo

« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2012, 10:07:14 »

Similar sort of thing to auto start. On a courtesy golf blumotion I had, there was a pause in take up on the throttle to allow for the driver engaging drive while the starter motor was engaged.... stupid idea.
...and what's an Asta btw?  ;D  :P

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 March 2012, 11:32:08 »

....and what's an Asta btw?  ;D  :P

:P :P :P :P :P :P  ;)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2012, 11:56:03 »

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/driving/automatic-gearboxes.aspx

'When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox. No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary.'

see that as changed from when i first took my test,as i was marked down on putting it into neutral  on a retest last year...
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2012, 12:01:46 »

see that as changed from when i first took my test,as i was marked down on putting it into neutral  on a retest last year...

Not entirely convinced about leaving it in drive, because an Omega 'creeps'.

When you leave it in drive, put the handbrake on, take your foot off the foot brake, the back of the car dips slightly.

Although, in the Omega hand book, it says you can leave it in drive when stopped.
I like red cars

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2012, 12:06:52 »

that why i posted this up??.
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 March 2012, 13:23:57 »

Presumably with handbrake on  ???

I think, once again, ROSPA are clearly wrong.  All autoboxes have creep by design, thus you have the gearbox trying to push the car, and the brakes trying to hold it back. A recipe for accidents to occur.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 March 2012, 14:50:26 »

All autoboxes have creep by design,  .......

Have you read the above posts?  ::) ::) Some 'switch off' when stationary as per the Astra G  ;) ;) ;) ;) And SWMBO's Smart doesn't creep either (manual box with auto controls  ;))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.