Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks to that Gixer fella  (Read 6439 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks to that Gixer fella
« Reply #45 on: 27 August 2012, 23:10:18 »

Just had a Eureka moment on the splits...  ...maybe I should check the load rating tomorrow  :-\
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #46 on: 27 August 2012, 23:14:18 »

And another thanks to that Gixer bloke, for getting me out of a hole after discovering 3 splits on the inner sidewall of a 2yr old Nexen 6000 tyre. Thanks Mr Gixer, for your hospitality today, and for discovering yet more crap wrong with my inferior facelift model :P

Eh? Did not know you had Nexens same as mine?
only one. He has a lot of experience with the cheaper brand tyres. In fact he's that tight he's been testing 4 different cheapo brands all at once for months. ;D

All in the name of research though I suspect. Commitment to the oof, all for our benefit should we need advice.

What are they like TB?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 August 2012, 23:15:22 »

And another thanks to that Gixer bloke, for getting me out of a hole after discovering 3 splits on the inner sidewall of a 2yr old Nexen 6000 tyre. Thanks Mr Gixer, for your hospitality today, and for discovering yet more crap wrong with my inferior facelift model :P

Eh? Did not know you had Nexens same as mine?
I only had one on my Heinz 57 equipped car. Replaced the lethal Autogrip.

Heinz57  ???

Just had a Eureka moment on the splits...  ...maybe I should check the load rating tomorrow  :-\

My N6000's are branded "Extra Load" on the side wall.

feeutfo

« Reply #48 on: 27 August 2012, 23:18:49 »

Iirc you did increase psi to the lakes etc?

Edit. Sorry, ignore that.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 August 2012, 23:20:14 »

What are they like TB?
The winter tyre helps the car stop in the snow. No. It helps one corner stop in the snow. The Autogrip makes one corner act like its almost on ice. The Nexen appears to have longevity issues. So the conclusion is that Sunew and Diamondback are the tyres of choice ;D

All in the name of research ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 27 August 2012, 23:20:50 »

Stupid boy Pike.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #51 on: 27 August 2012, 23:22:58 »

What are they like TB?
The winter tyre helps the car stop in the snow. No. It helps one corner stop in the snow. The Autogrip makes one corner act like its almost on ice. The Nexen appears to have longevity issues. So the conclusion is that Sunew and Diamondback are the tyres of choice ;D

I reckon your onto something. You have just about every tyre trait covered. There by increasing the average performance overall. Even if it's only one corner at a time. ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #52 on: 27 August 2012, 23:23:29 »

Stupid boy Pike.
yes I'll catch up in a minute. ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #53 on: 27 August 2012, 23:31:55 »

So;

Michelin... Ok that's a no.
Dunlop.... Been there already
Conti....    As discussed
Goodyear f1 ...worth a look?
Kumho...  Not enough grip got a busy TB
Falken .... No. Just No!
Avon....
Pirelli...
Cooper.... (snigger)
Bridgestone... Not impressed with 010 personally
Nexen, Alpha, toyo etc don't think so

Any more?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 August 2012, 23:34:46 »

What are they like TB?

Just need a track day tyre on one corner and you'll have a lovely balanced driving experience. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #55 on: 27 August 2012, 23:38:01 »

What are they like TB?

Just need a track day tyre on one corner and you'll have a lovely balanced driving experience. :o
yep, all angles from mud and snow to race track covered. ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 28 August 2012, 07:32:35 »

20k+ does make them appealing... Although I reckon I get similar mileage from the Acceller Alphas I have been using which have provided sufficient grip for the capabilities of the wallowy Elite suspension :-\
Were those the tyres you had on going to Wycombe meet  :-X
Nope... I had a mixture on at that time but, unlike you, I refused to keep the lethal "Milanza Hero" tyre even though it was brand new because it was lethal! :P
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 28 August 2012, 09:56:40 »

Sport Contact 3's are one of the best tyres I've come across, however my SAAB mullered a front set in just 7,500 miles, and I mean completely bald, it still handled relatively well though. My son had them on his Corsa D, they lasted nearly 20,000 miles on there, and he's pretty hard in the corners, they were however swapped over (front - back) when they started wearing, so as they all wore evenly.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 28 August 2012, 12:34:14 »

Runway Enduros are my budget recommendation FWIW :y

They perform reasonably well under all conditions, wear well for the price, nearly 20 k from last set  :y once all the wheels were pointing in the right direction :-X

They also perform well in snow, didn't get stuck once with them fitted, we had upto a foot of snow hereaboots.

Available in both 225/55/16, and 235/45/17 Extraload, with a decent speed rating. About £65 each, but not sure if available in 18"

:y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 28 August 2012, 17:56:22 »

20k+ does make them appealing... Although I reckon I get similar mileage from the Acceller Alphas I have been using which have provided sufficient grip for the capabilities of the wallowy Elite suspension :-\
Were those the tyres you had on going to Wycombe meet  :-X
Nope... I had a mixture on at that time but, unlike you, I refused to keep the lethal "Milanza Hero" tyre even though it was brand new because it was lethal! :P
The Autogrip had to go, obviously. Not just a bad tyre, its an appallingly bad tyre. Not even suitable for the Daisyest of Miss Daisys. Truely unusable.

The other 4, whilst a bit crap, are usable, and without the marked difference between wet and dry normally associated with nasty tyres. Certainly not premium tyres, though, not even close.

The worse of the ones on there is the Nexen 6000, that was always the first to give up, wet or dry. Quite disappointed with that, as its marketed as a mid range tyre.

Certainly more impressed with the Sunew and the Diamondback. Would I buy either in preference to a premium tyre? Foreskin Earwarmers.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 18 queries.