Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Part worn tyres??  (Read 7704 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Part worn tyres??
« on: 10 September 2012, 12:24:27 »

Ad in local paper selling part worn tyres so I went and had a look. 2 Michelin premacy for front and 2 Pirelli snowsport for rear (all 225/55 16's) for £100 balance and fitted. All tyres have at least 7-8 mm tread left and look good, evenly worn etc. It sounds great to me but I though I better ask the experts on here 1st? Any1 on here experience with part worns, are they any good or should I avoid like the plague???
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Part worn tyres??
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2012, 12:36:41 »

There are a few questions you have to ask yourself - why were they removed?

Usual reasons:
Car scrapped (possibly due to accident), so may have been some impact to tyre
Flatspots/run out of true
Owners had a non-repairable puncture, and wanted matched pair
Tyre getting old

Additionally, remember:
History of tyre is unknown, with may have sustained non visible impact
Check the date of tyre (on sidewall)
New tyres are 9mm, and really need to be changed at approx 3mm. Although that makes 6mm the mid-point, the first 3mm last longer than the next 3mm - for this reason, always using part worns is false economy

However, its little different to buying a 2nd hand car, and using the tyres it came with.

Personally, I wouldn't consider part worns, but with money being tight for everyone, its the only option for some...  ...and part worns are likely to be safer than bald tyres.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2012, 12:37:28 »

Just looked again, so 2 summer and 2 winter tyres? That'll end in tears.
Grumpy old man

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2012, 12:46:54 »

Hmmmm, good points TB I did wonder where part worns came from and as you say 2 summer/2 winter wouldnt be great idea either. He did have lots of other options as well this was just one example and tbh I'm finding it hard to ignore it at the minute with me being off work as any half decent tyre is gonna set me back minimum £80/corner really

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2012, 12:55:32 »

dont buy a tire older than 3 years even if it has full thread depth.. normal tire life is maximum 5 years and some say 6..

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2012, 13:09:33 »

Balance and fitting in itself is £20 - 25, so you are paying £75 for 4 or 18.75 per tyre. Which is cheap as the proverbial Mcdonalds chips. If they are newish tyres, ie DOT within the last 2-3 years then it makes sense, any older and they could be hard and potentially dangerous. Like TB said, you have to wonder why a tyre with 7-8 mm has been thrown away? So many variables. But i understand the financial logic.

Don't mix summer and winter tyres, differential grip doesn't help a car at all.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2012, 13:14:09 »

I had no choice but to stick a part worn tyre on after the Lakes meet as funds were very tight... Wish I hadn't bothered TBH as it's already been changed again ::)

Mind you... Funds are still a little tight so I ended up with a couple of cheap tyres on the back to make it legal and they're not very good :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2012, 13:23:02 »

Bought 2 part worn , fitted and balanced 10mm tread £50 for both ...never had any problem with grip noise or other ... pot luck i think , some folks i know have had tyres not sealing correct and out of shape tyres .

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2012, 13:36:15 »

TBH I had a good chat with the guy and he seemed very genuine and honest and said I could take my pick of what was there so I'm really thinking of giving it a go. At the worst case they will be rubbish and I will have to get them changed and just get cheap new ones, at the best they will be grand and its only cost me £100, I think its worth a gamble but I'll wait on more replies just to be on the safe side. Btw where do I find the dat on the tyres??

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2012, 13:54:13 »

TBH I had a good chat with the guy and he seemed very genuine and honest and said I could take my pick of what was there so I'm really thinking of giving it a go. At the worst case they will be rubbish and I will have to get them changed and just get cheap new ones, at the best they will be grand and its only cost me £100, I think its worth a gamble but I'll wait on more replies just to be on the safe side. Btw where do I find the dat on the tyres??

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/car-tire-date-code.html

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2012, 15:53:19 »

Part worns ar far from ideal, but they do have a purpose in life.
One being saving your good tyres until the car is set up as you want it.

But even in good operating temps for which they where designed winter tyres offer very little grip on Tarmac. They offer even less grip in summer temperatures.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2012, 16:31:17 »

I have bought used sets of wheels and tyres before without issue but as said have a damn good look at them !!

Nice to see the economic situation some are experiencing being recognised in this thread rather than the attitudes in some previous ones! :y
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2012, 16:47:18 »

Not punctured, plenty of tread - on they go. :y ;D ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2012, 16:50:38 »

TBH, my experience was poor because there was little choice at the time and I had the best tyre they had 3.5mm tread. Good thing was it matched the tread on the other side so they wore evenly.

I have found a very good place for part worns in Chelmsford. They are almost always spares from write-offs and come with a lifetime guarantee. Had one fitted to the van (as a spare) a while back and it's still fine :y

Unfortunately they don't get 235/45/17 as a size often because it's not a common size, especially for a spare! Hence why I had to bite the bullet and have one from the other place (which I wouldn't do again ;))

Currently have a pair of "Rapid" tyres on the back as I know the geometry is out and I don't want expensive tyres ruined whilst I'm sorting my life out and changing all the suspension! ::)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2012, 16:56:29 »

I wasn't going to get them on right away as theres a month or 2 left on the tyres that are on but I'd be tempted by the winter tyres towards the end of october when I'm probably needing to change anyway.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2012, 17:28:05 »

I have found a very good place for part worns in Chelmsford. They are almost always spares from write-offs and come with a lifetime guarantee. Had one fitted to the van (as a spare) a while back and it's still fine :y
So probably out of date then ::)

Lifetime guarantee? They replace the tyre? Not much good when you're looking up out of a ditch, with pants chewed through by your ring.

I stand by all the previous remarks I've ever made, its false economy. They are *ALWAYS* more expensive in the long run. But in emergency situations (as in unexpected expenditure), choice is oft taken away.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2012, 17:29:14 »

Part worns ar far from ideal, but they do have a purpose in life.
One being saving your good tyres until the car is set up as you want it.

But even in good operating temps for which they where designed winter tyres offer very little grip on Tarmac. They offer even less grip in summer temperatures.

not very little, less may be a better word.. however, there is another factor that it depends on the brand and the type of winter tire..

for example winter tires designed for ice will definitely have lower grip where the difference with combined types (mild type) will be minimal ..

also winter tires generally not suitable for high speeds on tarmac..

in my experience with goodyear UG8 I dont feel difference when braking on tarmac.. lateral grip very negligible difference imo.. but UG500 very very different..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2012, 17:35:25 »

Reading too many American biased reviews cem? We call tires tyres ;D
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2012, 17:48:20 »

Reading too many American biased reviews cem? We call tires tyres ;D

yep.. I was not conscious until you remind.. thanks :y

ps: forgot to add I found winter tires better on cold and wet weather..
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 17:56:24 by cem »

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2012, 17:56:51 »

Had some part worn tyres on the alloys i bought and my god they where awful unless the surface of the road was tarmac they would wonder with the pattern of the road violently sometimes  :o ;D 
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 17:59:22 by OmegaMan2.2 »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2012, 18:08:51 »

Lifetime guarantee? They replace the tyre? Not much good when you're looking up out of a ditch, with pants chewed through by your ring.

I stand by all the previous remarks I've ever made, its false economy. They are *ALWAYS* more expensive in the long run. But in emergency situations (as in unexpected expenditure), choice is oft taken away.

Can't comment on all of them but the one I got was manufactures early 2011 and I got it early this year... I've seen new tyres with earlier manufacture dates than that ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2012, 18:11:25 »

Can't comment on all of them but the one I got was manufactures early 2011 and I got it early this year... I've seen new tyres with earlier manufacture dates than that ;)

sand the surface with 150 grid until you have completely black and soft surface .. you will have a better tire.. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2012, 18:12:29 »

Lots of brand new cars being written off then :o

Check the speed and load rating - many large with larger wheels have lower rated spares. V6 Omega needs Y or Z speed rating, and 94 load rating iirc.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 September 2012, 18:12:40 »

sand the surface with 150 grid until you have completely black and soft surface .. you will have a better tire.. :y

It's a spare Cem, probably never go on the van ;) I put 4 new Avons on it last month ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 September 2012, 18:14:35 »

Lots of brand new cars being written off then :o

Check the speed and load rating - many large with larger wheels have lower rated spares. V6 Omega needs Y or Z speed rating, and 94 load rating iirc.

You didn't read the post ;) The one from Chelmsford (that we're discussing) is the spare on the van and correct load rating ;)

The one that went onto the car has gone now ;) I tend to have 97 load rating on the car and normally Z rated (although currently on W I think)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 September 2012, 18:16:40 »

Ah, misread that bit. For a spare, who gives a toss. Probably better than my factory spare. Nearly 15yrs old. Still got full tread.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2012, 18:22:28 »

Ah, misread that bit. For a spare, who gives a toss. Probably better than my factory spare. Nearly 15yrs old. Still got full tread.

Indeed... Better than the crappy Michelin Energy Saver that was there from the factory too ::)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2012, 18:47:58 »

I always have part worms never had a problem yet. I'd rather part worms than remolds any day

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 September 2012, 18:53:06 »

I always have part worms never had a problem yet. I'd rather part worms than remolds any day
Well, yes, remoulds do not have a place in this world.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #29 on: 10 September 2012, 20:28:15 »

Remember your only contact with the road is through your tyres - it makes sense to run with the best tyres you can afford.  Me personally new tyres only, not part worns (history unknown ???), and remoulds forget it!!

However your life your choice  ;)

One question - ever had, and could you cope with, a blowout at 110mph?
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 20:29:52 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #30 on: 10 September 2012, 20:36:22 »

You can get tablets for that. :y :D ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #31 on: 10 September 2012, 20:52:24 »

Yep but wouldn't even want part worms  :)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

waspy

« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2012, 21:16:37 »

Many of these part worn tyres come from Europe where the legal tread depth is much more than ours.
No one knows the history of these tyres & you can soon fall in a big way with their use.
I know, because I was on a budget at the very new age of 17, having just bought a car & passed my test, I needed a new tyre for the MOT. I bought a second hand one thinking it would save me money....... NO, it cost me my car & very nearly my life, as the tyre blew at speed & sent me off the road.
Though as Jamie says, you get part worn tyres on a second hand car, so really what's the difference :-\ :-\

Though if buying a new tyre, it IS a new one for me every time :y

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2012, 21:24:59 »

www.allnewtyres.co.uk will give you new budget tyre for £50  :y :y
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2012, 21:48:20 »

Many of these part worn tyres come from Europe where the legal tread depth is much more than ours.
No one knows the history of these tyres & you can soon fall in a big way with their use.
I know, because I was on a budget at the very new age of 17, having just bought a car & passed my test, I needed a new tyre for the MOT. I bought a second hand one thinking it would save me money....... NO, it cost me my car & very nearly my life, as the tyre blew at speed & sent me off the road.
Though as Jamie says, you get part worn tyres on a second hand car, so really what's the difference :-\ :-\

Though if buying a new tyre, it IS a new one for me every time :y

This happened me in a van 1 week after getting brand new tyres on as I was overtaking on a motorway onslip. I understand what you guys are getting at here but at the same time I could spend £50 per corner and get really rubbish new tyres. At the minute all I need is something to keep me legal as I'm not doing huge miles/speeds and when I'm back on my feet again I'll be getting something decent on anyway as I believe good tyres are important. Still undecided but I think I'm swaying towards trying the part worns, I'll be inspecting and picking them personally so they'll be the best he has in the shed!!

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2012, 22:05:02 »

I doubt very much anyone would remove the tyres on a new or hired car to examine them for faults. Where as we really should. Many a hired vehicle has come my way with the most appalling tyres fitted. Partly due to cost, but mostly due to complete neglect.

On pick up I just jumped in and drive off. Loaded up and half way down the motorway to find the thing handling terribly.

I'd presume most people would show extreme caution with an unknown tyre or part worn.

While on the other hand, I believe German rules don't allow for an odd tyre in a set of 4. So if one is punctured or low on tread, all four are replaced. Story goes we get these shipped over as our rules are far more relaxed. Not sure how true that is, but to bin 3 perfectly useable tyres strikes me as an appalling waiste.

All very valid points so far it seems to me. It's equally daft to fit new tyres to badly set up car.

As usual I suppose the best thing is a bit of common sense. :)

« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 22:07:02 by chrisgixer »

MarkG

• Northwich, Cheshire
  • "An Omega? Been a while since I saw one of those!"
    • 2000 CD 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2012, 23:51:32 »

Don't knock part worns. I started using them when my car turned 200k miles. I had always used new Michelin Primacys since the car was new but when all 4 needed replacing last Winter, for a car worth about £90 I could not justify £165 per corner. So I paid £125 for 4 Primacys fitted and balanced with 4.5mm tread. I have been really pleased. The rears lasted 12k and the fronts are still fine after 14k. I had another pair of Primacys fitted to the rears a few weeks ago. Part worns are a much better option than budget tyres; they last longer, the car still handles well and they reduce road noise. I drive my car spiritedly and cover about 20K per year.

Tyres are manufuactured with 8mm tread. It seems in Switzerland and Germany, tyres must be changed at 4.5mm and they must be changed in pairs. In The UK, we are allowed to run them down to 1.5mm, hence the emergence of a large number of part worn tyre suppliers importing them from Europe. Most suppliers fit and balance and you can pick out your own tyres. If you don't know what to look for, talk to the fellas there and they will help you pick some good ones. My experience with Michelin Primacys is that at 4.5mm, they still have loads and loads of life left in them.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 September 2012, 07:46:46 »

Yep but wouldn't even want part worms  :)
I ment worns but bloody predictive text on gay phone ;D

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 September 2012, 08:35:52 »

glad to hear you had a good experience with them Mark I think I'll give them a try. For the record I've had a few pm's as well from people who use part worn all the time but didn't want to get slated for it. Thanks for all the responses guys I'll keep you posted on how I get on with them

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #39 on: 11 September 2012, 09:11:03 »

older members in the forum knows that I have obsession for tyres ;D

personally I like brand new tyres too.. but when budget doesnt permit, part worns can be purchased.. or you have to use metro :(

last year before I bought goodyears there were continental part worns which were same as new (from a volvo S80 which changed size with new rims) and the shop asked nearly half price for them (they were nearly 2 years old).. I was nearly buying them and some events changed plans ..

for me if  those tyres are still soft , they can be used..  dont forget to check them properly for fractures and holes :y

omega3000

« Reply #40 on: 11 September 2012, 09:20:05 »

So for a new tyre has anyone used these .. tyre   :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 September 2012, 10:39:13 »

Yep... First set was awesome :y Second set not so good :( Third set were good again :y

I found they were generally OK and would use them again. That said, I think the weak point on the cars I've had them on is the wallowy Elite suspension... I'm not sure I would use them on anything firmer :-\

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 September 2012, 10:42:52 »

If they've got good tread, and no punctures, where's the problem? I've often bought part worns and saved hundreds.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #43 on: 11 September 2012, 10:43:41 »

they are awful in wet.. so not for UK :-\

at least go for Nexen or Kumho imo..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #44 on: 11 September 2012, 10:45:18 »

::)  must type faster sorry LD :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 11 September 2012, 10:59:38 »

Have you actually used them on an Omega Cem or just guessing from reviews? ;)

I have experience of them, as do a few other members (including 2woody) and they work quite well on the Omega, even in the snow ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #46 on: 11 September 2012, 11:03:58 »

They worked fairly well on the front of the E46 M3, too (previous owner had put them on) in the wet and dry - back was a bit lively thanks to two completely different tyres on that axle, though ::)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #47 on: 11 September 2012, 11:04:16 »

I have experience of them, as do a few other members (including 2woody) and they work quite well on the Omega, even in the snow ;)

me and accelera .. will end up with some fuel and fire ;D

one friend used them on Bmw 320 and hate it.. and before posting I checked UK drivers reviews and they criticise wet handling :-X

imo there are better tires for similiar money although not the same cash.. :-\
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Accelera/Alpha_2.htm
« Last Edit: 11 September 2012, 11:07:07 by cem »

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 September 2012, 11:05:52 »

Just got 4 from there. First impressions, good grip in the dry, no problems in the wet & virtually no road noise
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #49 on: 11 September 2012, 11:12:13 »

Just got 4 from there. First impressions, good grip in the dry, no problems in the wet & virtually no road noise

Robg ,  driving carefully[grandma] in the wet ;D

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 September 2012, 11:14:19 »

Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer. ;)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #51 on: 11 September 2012, 11:21:12 »

driving slowly , its ok.. :y

but there may be unexpected circumstances that you have to increase your speed.. personally I can not recommend any low performance tire to anyone.. second hand bridgestones, contis,goodyears will be preferable for me..

feeutfo

« Reply #52 on: 11 September 2012, 11:31:35 »

Well, problem could well bu a tyre that's been run under inflated. Stressed side walls can and do crack and split later in life.

I see alot of cars driving round with half the psi it should have and  the driver blissfully unaware.

Only way to check is to fit the tyre and see it inflated then go over it with a microscope.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11 September 2012, 11:37:19 »

Try again... Lost the last post I typed >:( >:(

If you drive within the limits of the roads, weather and (more importantly!) your ability then they are a good tyre :y Not great, but perfectly adequate for most people ;) Admittedly, if you're going to yank at the wheel like you're pulling your plonker in the wet then they may well let go ::) But as a general rule they are sufficient for the capabilities of the wallowy Elite suspension ;) Even in the snow

OK, they're no SC3 or SportMaxx but as a budget tyre they are exceptional ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11 September 2012, 11:38:38 »

but there may be unexpected circumstances that you have to increase your speed.. personally I can not recommend any low performance tire to anyone.. second hand bridgestones, contis,goodyears will be preferable for me..

After my last experience with a second hand tyre on the Omega (see earlier post) I'd rather have Alpha's over any of them ;)

omega3000

« Reply #55 on: 11 September 2012, 12:56:05 »

Thats me sorted then  :-[ ;D :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #56 on: 11 September 2012, 12:57:21 »

After my last experience with a second hand tyre on the Omega (see earlier post) I'd rather have Alpha's over any of them ;)

as you wish :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #57 on: 11 September 2012, 15:03:01 »

me and accelera .. will end up with some fuel and fire ;D

one friend used them on Bmw 320 and hate it.. and before posting I checked UK drivers reviews and they criticise wet handling :-X

imo there are better tires for similiar money although not the same cash.. :-\
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Accelera/Alpha_2.htm

cem I've used Alphas on the Elite saloon and the Elite Estate - found grip in dry excellent, wet grip reasonable with progressive break away (not sudden), easily controlled.  Grip in snow ok - good enough to get me up a hill that fwd cars were struggling with (overtook one guy who seemed a bit suprised that I was fairly sideways yet still going up the hill ok!) ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #58 on: 11 September 2012, 16:40:22 »

hmmm.. subject tyres and everyone is provoking me.. ;D

trust me I could fill this thread with lots of tests but I prefer :-X

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #59 on: 11 September 2012, 16:42:44 »

[evil mode on] but as far as I see Falkens are better than acceleras ;D ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 11 September 2012, 16:57:02 »

Which goes to show that online reviews are very subjective and real experiences are much better ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 11 September 2012, 17:07:02 »

Which goes to show that online reviews are very subjective and real experiences are much better ;)

Yep, I've come to the conclusion that tyre reviews are pointless. You have no idea if the driver reviewing the tyre is really being objective or is simply over the moon because it's "black, cheap and round".
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 11 September 2012, 17:31:12 »

Yep, I've come to the conclusion that tyre reviews are pointless. You have no idea if the driver reviewing the tyre is really being objective or is simply over the moon because it's "black, cheap and round".

I agree,waste of print as no two drivers have the same expectations of them :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 11 September 2012, 21:00:06 »

Agree with the previous comments on reviews. For example, some reckon Michelin PS2 are the best thing since sliced bread. I think they are one of the worse tyres ever made. Hopeless. I will concede they have stunning stopping power, though.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2012, 22:06:44 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #64 on: 11 September 2012, 21:20:45 »

I also agree that reviews and comments not based on measurable units is just a pile of crap..  and will be discussed forever without any conclusiom.. but when there is proper measurement I take my hat off.. :)

OOMV6

« Reply #65 on: 11 September 2012, 21:26:36 »

I doubt very much anyone would remove the tyres on a new or hired car to examine them for faults. Where as we really should. Many a hired vehicle has come my way with the most appalling tyres fitted. Partly due to cost, but mostly due to complete neglect.

On pick up I just jumped in and drive off. Loaded up and half way down the motorway to find the thing handling terribly.

I'd presume most people would show extreme caution with an unknown tyre or part worn.

While on the other hand, I believe German rules don't allow for an odd tyre in a set of 4. So if one is punctured or low on tread, all four are replaced. Story goes we get these shipped over as our rules are far more relaxed. Not sure how true that is, but to bin 3 perfectly useable tyres strikes me as an appalling waiste.

All very valid points so far it seems to me. It's equally daft to fit new tyres to badly set up car.

As usual I suppose the best thing is a bit of common sense. :)

Two.

Each axle much have same tyre on both sides. All four don't need to match, but cannot mix all-weather and summer for example. I wouldn't, but do know people who have

On a more general point referring to the part worn post. I buy decent tyres new. Not the absolute best, but certainly not the worst. My logic is simple. Tyres stop you. People harp on about shite brakes but it really doesn't matter how good your brakes are if your tyres are crap.

feeutfo

« Reply #66 on: 11 September 2012, 22:04:14 »

Thanks OO. :y

Read a few customer reviews again before my last tyre purchase. ...utterly pointless. Take the fact that one guy said a tyre was terrible and would never buy them again because "the inside front edges had worn out too quickly" as a general standard, and you realise these are not generally people to take advice from.

Magazine reviews are a bit more sensible, but too open to potential bribery perhaps? Not sure I trust them either.

As said before soooo many times, first hand experience is vital and tests on the same actual car the tyre is to be fitted to helps, so useless to us on here. Accepting ones own relaistic diving style and what exactly a "good tyre" means to the individual buyer has to come first or it's a complete waste of time.

One mans "loads of grip" is another mans waste of money.

IMO. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 11 September 2012, 22:18:26 »

Can I interest you in a set of part worn Falkens Chris??  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

feeutfo

« Reply #68 on: 11 September 2012, 22:20:46 »

Only if they're winter Falkens. ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 11 September 2012, 22:25:55 »

Aah sorry these are the exceptional weather/straight line version.....  ::)  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #70 on: 11 September 2012, 22:31:33 »

They're not really are they! You little fibber you. ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 11 September 2012, 22:46:25 »

They're not really are they! You little fibber you. ;D

Ooo yes!!  :y  With an 'A' speed rating too!!!  ::) Sure you're not tempted??  ???

BlueBridge

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • 3.0 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 11 September 2012, 23:17:01 »

That reminds me a woman I had a narrow escape with  :-X
Jon

omega3000

« Reply #73 on: 12 September 2012, 14:39:51 »

That reminds me a woman I had a narrow escape with  :-X

;D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.