Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Part worn tyres??  (Read 7692 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Part worn tyres??
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2012, 17:28:05 »

I have found a very good place for part worns in Chelmsford. They are almost always spares from write-offs and come with a lifetime guarantee. Had one fitted to the van (as a spare) a while back and it's still fine :y
So probably out of date then ::)

Lifetime guarantee? They replace the tyre? Not much good when you're looking up out of a ditch, with pants chewed through by your ring.

I stand by all the previous remarks I've ever made, its false economy. They are *ALWAYS* more expensive in the long run. But in emergency situations (as in unexpected expenditure), choice is oft taken away.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2012, 17:29:14 »

Part worns ar far from ideal, but they do have a purpose in life.
One being saving your good tyres until the car is set up as you want it.

But even in good operating temps for which they where designed winter tyres offer very little grip on Tarmac. They offer even less grip in summer temperatures.

not very little, less may be a better word.. however, there is another factor that it depends on the brand and the type of winter tire..

for example winter tires designed for ice will definitely have lower grip where the difference with combined types (mild type) will be minimal ..

also winter tires generally not suitable for high speeds on tarmac..

in my experience with goodyear UG8 I dont feel difference when braking on tarmac.. lateral grip very negligible difference imo.. but UG500 very very different..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2012, 17:35:25 »

Reading too many American biased reviews cem? We call tires tyres ;D
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2012, 17:48:20 »

Reading too many American biased reviews cem? We call tires tyres ;D

yep.. I was not conscious until you remind.. thanks :y

ps: forgot to add I found winter tires better on cold and wet weather..
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 17:56:24 by cem »

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2012, 17:56:51 »

Had some part worn tyres on the alloys i bought and my god they where awful unless the surface of the road was tarmac they would wonder with the pattern of the road violently sometimes  :o ;D 
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 17:59:22 by OmegaMan2.2 »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2012, 18:08:51 »

I have found a very good place for part worns in Chelmsford. They are almost always spares from write-offs and come with a lifetime guarantee. Had one fitted to the van (as a spare) a while back and it's still fine :y

Lifetime guarantee? They replace the tyre? Not much good when you're looking up out of a ditch, with pants chewed through by your ring.

I stand by all the previous remarks I've ever made, its false economy. They are *ALWAYS* more expensive in the long run. But in emergency situations (as in unexpected expenditure), choice is oft taken away.

Can't comment on all of them but the one I got was manufactures early 2011 and I got it early this year... I've seen new tyres with earlier manufacture dates than that ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2012, 18:11:25 »

Can't comment on all of them but the one I got was manufactures early 2011 and I got it early this year... I've seen new tyres with earlier manufacture dates than that ;)

sand the surface with 150 grid until you have completely black and soft surface .. you will have a better tire.. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2012, 18:12:29 »

Lots of brand new cars being written off then :o

Check the speed and load rating - many large with larger wheels have lower rated spares. V6 Omega needs Y or Z speed rating, and 94 load rating iirc.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 September 2012, 18:12:40 »

sand the surface with 150 grid until you have completely black and soft surface .. you will have a better tire.. :y

It's a spare Cem, probably never go on the van ;) I put 4 new Avons on it last month ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 September 2012, 18:14:35 »

Lots of brand new cars being written off then :o

Check the speed and load rating - many large with larger wheels have lower rated spares. V6 Omega needs Y or Z speed rating, and 94 load rating iirc.

You didn't read the post ;) The one from Chelmsford (that we're discussing) is the spare on the van and correct load rating ;)

The one that went onto the car has gone now ;) I tend to have 97 load rating on the car and normally Z rated (although currently on W I think)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 September 2012, 18:16:40 »

Ah, misread that bit. For a spare, who gives a toss. Probably better than my factory spare. Nearly 15yrs old. Still got full tread.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2012, 18:22:28 »

Ah, misread that bit. For a spare, who gives a toss. Probably better than my factory spare. Nearly 15yrs old. Still got full tread.

Indeed... Better than the crappy Michelin Energy Saver that was there from the factory too ::)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2012, 18:47:58 »

I always have part worms never had a problem yet. I'd rather part worms than remolds any day

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 September 2012, 18:53:06 »

I always have part worms never had a problem yet. I'd rather part worms than remolds any day
Well, yes, remoulds do not have a place in this world.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #29 on: 10 September 2012, 20:28:15 »

Remember your only contact with the road is through your tyres - it makes sense to run with the best tyres you can afford.  Me personally new tyres only, not part worns (history unknown ???), and remoulds forget it!!

However your life your choice  ;)

One question - ever had, and could you cope with, a blowout at 110mph?
« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 20:29:52 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.