Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Part worn tyres??  (Read 7686 times)

albitz

Re: Part worn tyres??
« Reply #30 on: 10 September 2012, 20:36:22 »

I always have part worms never had a problem yet. I'd rather part worms than remolds any day

You can get tablets for that. :y :D ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #31 on: 10 September 2012, 20:52:24 »

I always have part worms never had a problem yet. I'd rather part worms than remolds any day

Yep but wouldn't even want part worms  :)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

waspy

« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2012, 21:16:37 »

Many of these part worn tyres come from Europe where the legal tread depth is much more than ours.
No one knows the history of these tyres & you can soon fall in a big way with their use.
I know, because I was on a budget at the very new age of 17, having just bought a car & passed my test, I needed a new tyre for the MOT. I bought a second hand one thinking it would save me money....... NO, it cost me my car & very nearly my life, as the tyre blew at speed & sent me off the road.
Though as Jamie says, you get part worn tyres on a second hand car, so really what's the difference :-\ :-\

Though if buying a new tyre, it IS a new one for me every time :y

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2012, 21:24:59 »

www.allnewtyres.co.uk will give you new budget tyre for £50  :y :y
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2012, 21:48:20 »

Many of these part worn tyres come from Europe where the legal tread depth is much more than ours.
No one knows the history of these tyres & you can soon fall in a big way with their use.
I know, because I was on a budget at the very new age of 17, having just bought a car & passed my test, I needed a new tyre for the MOT. I bought a second hand one thinking it would save me money....... NO, it cost me my car & very nearly my life, as the tyre blew at speed & sent me off the road.
Though as Jamie says, you get part worn tyres on a second hand car, so really what's the difference :-\ :-\

Though if buying a new tyre, it IS a new one for me every time :y

This happened me in a van 1 week after getting brand new tyres on as I was overtaking on a motorway onslip. I understand what you guys are getting at here but at the same time I could spend £50 per corner and get really rubbish new tyres. At the minute all I need is something to keep me legal as I'm not doing huge miles/speeds and when I'm back on my feet again I'll be getting something decent on anyway as I believe good tyres are important. Still undecided but I think I'm swaying towards trying the part worns, I'll be inspecting and picking them personally so they'll be the best he has in the shed!!
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2012, 22:05:02 »

I doubt very much anyone would remove the tyres on a new or hired car to examine them for faults. Where as we really should. Many a hired vehicle has come my way with the most appalling tyres fitted. Partly due to cost, but mostly due to complete neglect.

On pick up I just jumped in and drive off. Loaded up and half way down the motorway to find the thing handling terribly.

I'd presume most people would show extreme caution with an unknown tyre or part worn.

While on the other hand, I believe German rules don't allow for an odd tyre in a set of 4. So if one is punctured or low on tread, all four are replaced. Story goes we get these shipped over as our rules are far more relaxed. Not sure how true that is, but to bin 3 perfectly useable tyres strikes me as an appalling waiste.

All very valid points so far it seems to me. It's equally daft to fit new tyres to badly set up car.

As usual I suppose the best thing is a bit of common sense. :)

« Last Edit: 10 September 2012, 22:07:02 by chrisgixer »

MarkG

• Northwich, Cheshire
  • "An Omega? Been a while since I saw one of those!"
    • 2000 CD 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2012, 23:51:32 »

Don't knock part worns. I started using them when my car turned 200k miles. I had always used new Michelin Primacys since the car was new but when all 4 needed replacing last Winter, for a car worth about £90 I could not justify £165 per corner. So I paid £125 for 4 Primacys fitted and balanced with 4.5mm tread. I have been really pleased. The rears lasted 12k and the fronts are still fine after 14k. I had another pair of Primacys fitted to the rears a few weeks ago. Part worns are a much better option than budget tyres; they last longer, the car still handles well and they reduce road noise. I drive my car spiritedly and cover about 20K per year.

Tyres are manufuactured with 8mm tread. It seems in Switzerland and Germany, tyres must be changed at 4.5mm and they must be changed in pairs. In The UK, we are allowed to run them down to 1.5mm, hence the emergence of a large number of part worn tyre suppliers importing them from Europe. Most suppliers fit and balance and you can pick out your own tyres. If you don't know what to look for, talk to the fellas there and they will help you pick some good ones. My experience with Michelin Primacys is that at 4.5mm, they still have loads and loads of life left in them.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 September 2012, 07:46:46 »

Yep but wouldn't even want part worms  :)
I ment worns but bloody predictive text on gay phone ;D

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 September 2012, 08:35:52 »

glad to hear you had a good experience with them Mark I think I'll give them a try. For the record I've had a few pm's as well from people who use part worn all the time but didn't want to get slated for it. Thanks for all the responses guys I'll keep you posted on how I get on with them
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #39 on: 11 September 2012, 09:11:03 »

older members in the forum knows that I have obsession for tyres ;D

personally I like brand new tyres too.. but when budget doesnt permit, part worns can be purchased.. or you have to use metro :(

last year before I bought goodyears there were continental part worns which were same as new (from a volvo S80 which changed size with new rims) and the shop asked nearly half price for them (they were nearly 2 years old).. I was nearly buying them and some events changed plans ..

for me if  those tyres are still soft , they can be used..  dont forget to check them properly for fractures and holes :y

omega3000

« Reply #40 on: 11 September 2012, 09:20:05 »

So for a new tyre has anyone used these .. tyre   :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 September 2012, 10:39:13 »

Yep... First set was awesome :y Second set not so good :( Third set were good again :y

I found they were generally OK and would use them again. That said, I think the weak point on the cars I've had them on is the wallowy Elite suspension... I'm not sure I would use them on anything firmer :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 September 2012, 10:42:52 »

If they've got good tread, and no punctures, where's the problem? I've often bought part worns and saved hundreds.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #43 on: 11 September 2012, 10:43:41 »

they are awful in wet.. so not for UK :-\

at least go for Nexen or Kumho imo..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #44 on: 11 September 2012, 10:45:18 »

::)  must type faster sorry LD :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.