Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tram lining  (Read 6130 times)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
Re: Tram lining
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2013, 23:04:01 »

yep - its tyres
So how do we nail down exactly what it is about tyres that cause it...?

Or, how do we know which ones to buy, that don't do it...?

we don't, unfortunately.

Out of the ten or so major design differences between tyre a and tyre b, we know maybe only two or three, so we can't answer the question I'm afraid.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2013, 23:05:14 »

The tyre test aspect of the proposed airfield meet needs to be organised in such a way that all the tyres presented are tested on all the cars presented to give an accurate impression of their behaviour on any given suspension set up :y

actually, it would be well worth trying Chris's car on a different set of tyres.

also maybe on some 195/15s, too

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2013, 23:15:00 »

The tyre test aspect of the proposed airfield meet needs to be organised in such a way that all the tyres presented are tested on all the cars presented to give an accurate impression of their behaviour on any given suspension set up :y

actually, it would be well worth trying Chris's car on a different set of tyres.

also maybe on some 195/15s, too

Swapping with my sc3 mo shod sport stars would be interesting. 265 35 18 rear and 245 40 18 front.

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2013, 23:39:22 »

Ok Here goes  :) probably get told off but hey ho ;D I haven't had any probs with mine tramlining then again only had it since september  8) It is a PFL 3.2 elite auto I have different tyres on it  :o the fronts are Event WL905 225/45/17 the backs are nearside Arrowspeed N1000 235/45/17 and offside Hifly HF805 235/45/17  ::) before these it had 235/45/17  :y all round conti sc3 on front and conti sport contact on rear, these were on the car when I got it, I have replaced with the Events/Arrowspeed/Hifly, because I got a second set of wheels and the tyres on them were better than the ones that came with the car.  8) So even with all the different tyres I have had NO tramlining. ;D :y

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2013, 00:36:14 »

What wheels are they on? 225/45/17 isn't an Omega size :-\

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 March 2013, 06:50:44 »

If you want to cure tramlining, buy an Insignia :y
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2013, 08:56:02 »

OK, I'll post the same warnings here - I didn't see this one until I'd reopened the other...

There are some house rules, and anyone not abiding by them will see (possibly) temporary bans.

I shouldn't have to spell it out, we all understand the behaviour expected, but:

No bickering, fighting or general unpleasantness, and no comments purely to stir someone else. It will not be tolerated at all  >:(

Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #22 on: 11 March 2013, 09:27:35 »

Actually, no i don't think its the tyres....

to refine, my opinion is:-

235s are way too wide for a car with macpherson strut front suspension and a rear-mounted steering box. I'd say that all cars shod thus are only a smidging away from tranlining hell - all it takes is some small irregularity in the setup or a difference in one tyre make vs another to make all the difference.

agreed.. :y :y :y

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2013, 09:29:39 »

What wheels are they on? 225/45/17 isn't an Omega size :-\

That size is for a vectra or signum

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 March 2013, 09:52:39 »

235s are way too wide for a car with macpherson strut front suspension and a rear-mounted steering box. I'd say that all cars shod thus are only a smidging away from tranlining hell - all it takes is some small irregularity in the setup or a difference in one tyre make vs another to make all the difference.

Thats coming across as not adding anything.

GM decided to fit 235/45/17 as standard, and 235/40/18 as an option, so saying use non-standard sizes (which would invalidate most UK insurances) is not an option. Thats where we are.

We know that some 235/45/17 and 235/40/18 tramline badly, and that some 245/40/18 do not.

We need to understand why. To be clear, Google is not our friend here. We are on our own. We need to resolve this ourselves.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #25 on: 11 March 2013, 09:53:58 »

The only time I encounter tram lining is on certain roads where HGVs have created two distinct troughs in the surface of the tarmac.

Therefore I believe, as I have encountered this with different cars and various tyres, that damaged road surfaces cause tram lining. ;) ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 11 March 2013, 09:54:21 »

Thats coming across as not adding anything.

GM decided to fit 235/45/17 as standard, and 235/40/18 as an option, so saying use non-standard sizes (which would invalidate most UK insurances) is not an option. Thats where we are.

We know that some 235/45/17 and 235/40/18 tramline badly, and that some 245/40/18 do not.

We need to understand why. To be clear, Google is not our friend here. We are on our own. We need to resolve this ourselves.

why ? this car have even 15 wheel sizes given in handbook ???

plus : banning google wont solve any problem..  you cant know everything :) :y
« Last Edit: 11 March 2013, 09:57:45 by cem »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 March 2013, 10:20:13 »

why ? this car have even 15 wheel sizes given in handbook ???

plus : banning google wont solve any problem..  you cant know everything :) :y
Its what the car came with. The handbook mentions winter tyres, but until this winter, fitting winter tyres was liable to invalidate your insurance. Even now, you need to double check with your insurer, and possibly pay an amendment fee if you put on winters. Accept thats the way UK insurance works.

Google has its uses. But, in the case of Omegas, its bringing back nothing relevent or useful, and completely contradictory to what some of us are experiencing. Thus any internet search is only relevent if its on an Omega.  OOF is in a good position to, even if we don't understand why, get a list of what works, and what doesn't, on Omegas. Whilst it won't be perfect, if it prevents somebody else spending £700 on tyres that are, frankly, worse than £200 budget ones, then its worth it. IMHO anyway.  So lets base this on Omega facts, not what I heard down the pub, or read on the Internet about how good SC5s are on a Golf.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 March 2013, 10:23:21 »

The only time I encounter tram lining is on certain roads where HGVs have created two distinct troughs in the surface of the tarmac.

Therefore I believe, as I have encountered this with different cars and various tyres, that damaged road surfaces cause tram lining. ;) ;)
Yes, badly rutted roads will cause the car to follow the ruts, and pull about as you go in them, and out of them. Thats accepted as normal.

We are talking about tyres (we've proved it to tyres), tramlining on unrutted roads, such as the outside 2 lanes of the M40 (the inside lane isn't bad on the M40 either), so much so, that you daren't look in the mirrors for more than the quickest glance, else you will be over the white lines.
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 March 2013, 10:35:20 »

Yes, badly rutted roads will cause the car to follow the ruts, and pull about as you go in them, and out of them. Thats accepted as normal.

We are talking about tyres (we've proved it to tyres), tramlining on unrutted roads, such as the outside 2 lanes of the M40 (the inside lane isn't bad on the M40 either), so much so, that you daren't look in the mirrors for more than the quickest glance, else you will be over the white lines.

Are you talking about tramlining or wanderlust?

There's a section of road near to where I live, the Omega (2.6) was all over the place negotiating it, where as both the Astra and Insignia are rock solid over the same stretch.

The 2.2 was also rock solid over the same stretch, but on motorways, seemed to have wanderlust.
I like red cars
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.