Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Impact Wrench  (Read 5954 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Impact Wrench
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2013, 23:37:38 »

At the place I take my car to for tyres (Scotts Tyres Northampton who I can't recommend enough!) they use cordless impact guns with the removable/rechargeable batteries. They buzz lug nuts off with ease. I'm due a couple of new tyres in January so I'll check out the make/model.

Obviously I expect they're good ones so price may be an issue depending on your budget but I'll check out what they are :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2013, 23:54:01 »

Didn't you write to Father Christmas Tunnie?  :-\  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 25 December 2013, 00:00:49 »

If going for a biggy, snap on or ingersol rand(?) are probably best options on durability. Expensive. But if your going to do a job, do it proper.

Snap on one most powerful but 1 year warranty on electrics
IR almost as powerful but two years on sparks.
...last I looked anyway.

Snap on link for Image purposes for Webby. This one?
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1207_cordless_impact_gun_tests/
Wim have a couple. Generally considered the only
Option for professional use.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 December 2013, 00:11:58 »

That's what it looks like, Chris although I couldn't say for certain. All their other tools are Strap-on so I imagine the tool truck visits them  :y

Ps, talking of Strap-on.... their bloody van always parks at a garage on the way to school.... I wish he'd park up properly instead of blocking a single carriage way on national speed limit!!!  >:(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #20 on: 25 December 2013, 00:16:44 »

;D they are like a bloody sweet shop those snap on vans. Way to easy to sign your wages away in monthly instalments before any money has even been earned.
Avoid general browsing in there it's lethal.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 December 2013, 00:22:48 »

;D they are like a bloody sweet shop those snap on vans. Way to easy to sign your wages away in monthly instalments before any money has even been earned.
Avoid general browsing in there it's lethal.

Couldn't agree more, mate. I see absolutely no reason to buy Strap-on; well, not hand tools anyway.

The school awarded some ratchets to kids who'd done well last year. They had their names engraved on them which I thought was a nice touch. However, before the engraving each ratchet cost somewhere in the £80 range  :o :o :o For kids essentially starting their careers shortly after college I would have thought a full Halfords tool kit would have been more appropriate for around the same money!
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 25 December 2013, 00:29:27 »

Yep I agree. Screw driver bits 'n all ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 December 2013, 00:31:23 »

Yep I agree. Screw driver bits 'n all ;D

:o :-X ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • MV6 RIP - Lexus GS300 '99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 December 2013, 00:37:46 »

Am I missing something?
Why buy a corded impact wrench for £100+
rather than an air wrench for £30, and a compressor - which any DIY garage would/should have any way?
I would guess that even a cheap compressor would run an impact wrench for the 30s that they are actually used?
Carpe Incendium

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 December 2013, 00:40:11 »

Am I missing something?
rather than an air wrench for £30, and a compressor - which any DIY garage would/should have any way?
I would guess that even a cheap compressor would run an impact wrench for the 30s that they are actually used?

Tunnie's after a cordless one  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • MV6 RIP - Lexus GS300 '99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 December 2013, 00:43:56 »

Am I missing something?

yep, I know  ;)
But corded versions have been mentioned...

Is it just a matter of convenience?
Dragging my compressor out is a PITA, whereas I have mains right next to my work area.
Or is there another reason?

I'm asking cos I'll be setting up a workshop next year - plumbed in air + 240V + 110V (possibly 3PH) and wondering if there's another reason for going corded mains?

Carpe Incendium

chrisgixer

« Reply #27 on: 25 December 2013, 00:48:30 »

Am I missing something?

Yes, you have all three Angles to the conversation in one there really.

Tunnie doesn't have a compressor. And he'd need to spend more than a top of the range cordless on a compressor to get the torque level with air tools. But air would last longer.

The links for the snap on and ir cordless are for Webby to I.D the cordless tools in his tyre shop.

Tunnie doesn't need to spend that sort
of money.

Given he has the batteries already, the first link is probably his cheapest and most efficient option given his work load. Assuming his batteries last of course. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 December 2013, 00:51:17 »

Am I missing something?

yep, I know  ;)

Dragging my compressor out is a PITA, whereas I have mains right next to my work area.

I'm asking cos I'll be setting up a workshop next year - plumbed in air + 240V + 110V (possibly 3PH) and wondering if there's another reason for going corded mains?

Oh, sorry  :y

This is just my opinion having now used the corded (home) and compressed air (college) but air is totally the best one. My corded one is 450nm but struggles with anything above lug nuts. It wouldn't shift Mad Mechanics crank pulley bolt on a Civic. Plus the fact you still have to drag a ''line'' about (although of course it is a lot easier than an air line).

Having said that there's just the gun itself to buy i.e. no compressor so I imagine they sell as the DIYer sees that as an advantage in not having to buy a compressor also. 

If you're using it professionally, in my opinion, you have to have compressed air. Unless you work in the aforementioned ''tyres only'' shop where you only ever need to undo lug nuts.

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 25 December 2013, 01:10:22 »

Am I missing something?

yep, I know  ;)

Air for durability.

Cordless for portability as they probably have a call out service or a need to service cars in the car park.

Corded to save on batteries, and cheap to buy. No experience with them though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.