Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 7625 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Tyres
« on: 22 May 2014, 11:04:42 »

VW dealer has just phoned to say that Dunlop Germany have just delivered 1 of the 2 Dunlop Sport 01  tyres needed/ordered - car has been with them since Monday!!

Dealer is now saying that he will fit, at no extra charge, 2 Continentals which they claim are more expensive than the Dunlop Sport 01. I have no idea whether Continentals are a better brand or whether it is just a ploy to get me to have something different to what I ordered. I have the Dunlop Sport SP01 on front and the miles I have had from the Dunlop Tyres has been amazing.

Ideas?
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

chrisgixer

Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2014, 13:51:28 »

Continental are a first class tyre.

But you need to be sure WHICH continental....? Sc3 mo I would hope?
But a premium contact might be more suitable. Assuming premium contact are more durable. I'm not familiar with the rest of the range.

Although...If they are offering an sc5, refuse it, point blank.

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2014, 13:53:42 »

I would of thought Michelin primacy would more suitable for a pscocoa? Tbh.

Stemo

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2014, 14:06:50 »

VW dealer has just phoned to say that Dunlop Germany have just delivered 1 of the 2 Dunlop Sport 01  tyres needed/ordered - car has been with them since Monday!!

Dealer is now saying that he will fit, at no extra charge, 2 Continentals which they claim are more expensive than the Dunlop Sport 01. I have no idea whether Continentals are a better brand or whether it is just a ploy to get me to have something different to what I ordered. I have the Dunlop Sport SP01 on front and the miles I have had from the Dunlop Tyres has been amazing.

Ideas?
If your outlay is going to be zero, then does it matter about the mileage you get from them?

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2014, 14:09:04 »

I think he means, no EXTRA charge. Esta. ::)

Ie no more cost than the Dunlops.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2014, 14:30:27 »

Being four wheel drive, is fitting varying tyres adviseable :-\

Get it in writing that they will replace the transfer box/gearbox F.O.C when it all goes Pete Tong...

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2014, 14:50:02 »

I would of thought Michelin primacy would more suitable for a pscocoa? Tbh.

Yuk. Teflon tyres. :-\

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2014, 15:04:13 »

Continental ContiContactSport 5 are going on with same deal for fronts when they need changing. Sorry Al - they caught me on the hop and I am in Amsterdam tomorrow so made a quick decision. I have asked them to assure it is ok to mix pairs.

Thanks all

Stemo

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2014, 15:22:57 »

Ah......I see......yes....ermmmm.........can't think of anything to say really...... ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2014, 15:23:32 »

Ah......I see......yes....ermmmm.........can't think of anything to say really...... ;D

That's a first  ;D ;D ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2014, 16:18:08 »

Continental ContiContactSport 5 are going on with same deal for fronts when they need changing. Sorry Al - they caught me on the hop and I am in Amsterdam tomorrow so made a quick decision. I have asked them to assure it is ok to mix pairs.

Thanks all

TB had a total nightmare with those. :(

Stemo

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2014, 16:21:24 »

Thanks all

I very much doubt that their driving styles would be similar. Hooligan v Grandma.

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2014, 16:23:12 »

Go on, back to gen chat with you. ....Go on. .... run along. ::)

(A stroppy Esta drudges off, only to return to the door, tongue out flicking v's behind everyone's back ;D )

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2014, 16:24:58 »

Thanks all

I very much doubt that their driving styles would be similar. Hooligan v Grandma.

(Will he ever learn ::) ;D )

It was the sort of nightmare that made the car extremely unstable at surprisingly low speeds, even for grandma here.

Anyway, fingers crossed for, er, grandma.

Stemo

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2014, 16:32:03 »

Thanks all

It was the sort of nightmare that made the car extremely unstable at surprisingly low speeds, even for grandma here.

Well....since I'm in this section, I might as well talk more shite. ;D

If the car was so unstable at low speeds with a good propriety brand of tyre on, I would say the car was at fault, not the tyre. And, before you say it was ok with a different brand, that is still the car at fault. I have used contis on all of my cars for years, and I haven't always been the careful, considerate driver I am now. Never had any problems at all. In fact, the only car I've ever lost the arse end on was my omega, and that had nothing to do with the tyres.
Some may call it exciting, I call it unsafe.

chrisgixer

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2014, 16:38:16 »

Thanks all

If the car was so unstable at low speeds with a good propriety brand of tyre on, I would say the car was at fault, not the tyre. And, before you say it was ok with a different brand, that is still the car at fault. I have used contis on all of my cars for years, and I haven't always been the careful, considerate driver I am now. Never had any problems at all. In fact, the only car I've ever lost the arse end on was my omega, and that had nothing to do with the tyres.

Have you ever had sc5 fitted?

And have you had sc5 fitted to an omega?

Or indeed, a Phaeton?

...no I thought not. ;D

Stemo

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2014, 16:38:32 »

In fact, I'll go further. Omegas are unsafe/unstable in the wet and are only good for speed in a straight line. You may say that, if you know how to handle them, they are perfectly safe and great fun to drive. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to handle a large, rear wheel drive car, esp. in the wet. It is, as you know, a totally different driving style and out of all the RWD cars around, the omega needs your full attention more than most.

Stemo

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2014, 16:40:04 »

Thanks all

Or indeed, a Phaeton?

...no I thought not. ;D
I've had more cars than you've had hot dinners, Son. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2014, 16:41:45 »

In fact, I'll go further. Omegas are unsafe/unstable in the wet and are only good for speed in a straight line. You may say that, if you know how to handle them, they are perfectly safe and great fun to drive. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to handle a large, rear wheel drive car, esp. in the wet. It is, as you know, a totally different driving style and out of all the RWD cars around, the omega needs your full attention more than most.

To anyone else reading, this man drives, by his own choice, a Daewoo. He pays thousands of pounds to his local car dealer in part ex charges and gives his car to Kwick fit for his basic servicing.

Ignore him. We're all trying to, bit he keeps coming back for more ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2014, 16:43:13 »

Thanks all

Or indeed, a Phaeton?

...no I thought not. ;D
I've had more cars than you've had hot dinners, Son. ;D

Yes Dad. ;D

I wish I'd only ever had one car. An omega. ;)

Or possibly a vxr8. :)

Stemo

« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2014, 16:44:49 »

To anyone else reading, this man drives, by his own choice, a Daewoo. He pays thousands of pounds to his local car dealer in part ex charges and gives his car to Kwick fit for his basic servicing.

Ignore him. We're all trying to, bit he keeps coming back for more ;D
What you should remember is, as far as cars are concerned, you're still shitting yellow. Some of us were driving cars when you were riding in your pram.  :P

If a tyre is crap on an omega but fine on other vehicles, you can't blame the tyre.

Stemo

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2014, 16:47:07 »

Anyway, I'm going to concede a bit here. What you are saying is that this particular tyre does not suit this particular car, and I have to bow to your superior knowledge on that subject.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2014, 16:47:43 »

FFS, don't ever drive a Westfield. ;D

The Omega is about as docile a rear wheel drive car as I've ever driven. More so than my Mum's Volvo 340 which only had about 70 BHP. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2014, 16:51:47 »

Anyway, I'm going to concede a bit here. What you are saying is that this particular tyre does not suit this particular car, and I have to bow to your superior knowledge on that subject.

This particular tyre is suited to front wheel drive shit boxes. So will suit Daewoo's and the like. ;)

( are the drugs wearing off, btw? )

Stemo

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2014, 16:52:26 »

The Omega is about as docile a rear wheel drive car as I've ever driven. More so than my Mum's Volvo 340 which only had about 70 BHP. ;)
How many times, Kevin, have people on here told tales about losing the rear end in damp conditions, not even wet?
Besides, you're not exactly the average driver, are you? Westfield indeed.....how many drivers could honestly say they could handle a Westfield without loads of practice?

Stemo

« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2014, 16:53:40 »

This particular tyre is suited to front wheel drive shit boxes. So will suit Daewoo's and the like. ;)
Childish reply.

Something else you should remember when we're having our cosy chats, I used to be in management. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2014, 16:56:59 »

Childish reply.

Something else you should remember when we're having our cosy chats, I used to be in management. ;D

No seriously, it is. ask cem  read the reviews    oh never mind.

Anyway, TB will be along, and he'll slap your legs he will.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2014, 16:57:19 »

Agreed. My Omega is a kitten in the wet. :y

......but then it is on Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and not the crappy Michelin primacy 'instant slip' tyres that Vauxhall originally fitted to the car. :y

I'll take Wanli Ditchfinders over Michelin Primacy tyres any day of the week.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2014, 17:02:27 by Mr. Opti »

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2014, 16:59:08 »

Even my Mrs can catch an omega in the wet. And she's had no cars, with no driving experience, and no (well a bit) help from me in the passenger seat to gather it all up again. ;D

Stemo

« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2014, 17:00:04 »

Shame the same can't be said of your wife. ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2014, 17:01:58 »

How many times, Kevin, have people on here told tales about losing the rear end in damp conditions, not even wet?

Not many, in my recollection (excluding reports from those suspects who were most likely provoking it ;)).

The fact is that the TC will chime in before an Omega gets out of shape if it's not being driven recklessly in the first place.

Besides, you're not exactly the average driver, are you? Westfield indeed.....how many drivers could honestly say they could handle a Westfield without loads of practice?

I consider myself very much an average driver. I've had no tuition beyond passing my test in the days when it was a 15 minute potter around town then half a dozen questions.

I also don't believe you have to be a driving god to drive any car. As long as you treat it with reasonable caution until you know its' capabilities, there's no such thing as a dangerous car.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2014, 17:04:13 »

Mrs Opti is a tigress with sharp claws. :-\ :-\ Still, it's not all bad because the sex is always great after a bust up. :y

Stemo

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2014, 17:05:26 »

Mrs Opti is a tigress with sharp claws. :-\ :-\ Still, it's not all bad because the sex is always great after a bust up. :y
Don't.........please......

Stemo

« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2014, 17:07:01 »

Right. My work is done here. Back to general disrespect.  ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2014, 18:20:43 »

suspect ChrisGixer has a point about the Conti tyres as the dealer fit loads of them but most cars in VW stable are FWD I suppose. On a 4wd like Phaeton hope it works out??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2014, 21:17:53 »

No idea how they will work on the VW, which is 4WD and heavier (I think) than Omega, but the SC5 was a premium priced tyre with budget performance on my Omega. Fortunately, the fronts were spent in 3k, and the rears about 6k (IIRC), so was a short lived, albeit expensive, mistake.
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2014, 22:01:03 »

Got to be honest, had Sport Contact 5's on an A3, reasonable dry grip, rubbish in the wet, they're absolute rubbish compared to Sport Contact 3's.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2014, 21:44:44 »

Could they be persuaded to fit the continentals until both the dunlops arrive (paying only when the right tyre comes in)? If they don't then just say you will get them elsewhere? I don't know if you give them a lot of business etc.. but if you do then it may be the start of a good deal?

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 May 2014, 23:37:26 »

Radar - too late now - I was involved in lots of stuff when I had to make the decision and saw the replies on here too late. My driving style may be suited to the tyres as I am not into putting the Phaeton through its paces on corners - as  said previously I just use on motorway.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 May 2014, 16:55:28 »

First long run today on the Contact 5s. SWMBO commented that car is smoother and quieter. So far so good but it was not too wet today.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 June 2014, 14:47:14 »

I think you will find them to be reasonable tyres. I cannot imagine Conti releasing tyres that are absolutely rubbish as some on here would claim. The same I feel applies to Michelin Pilot sport 3's and F1 Assym 2's. The negativity seems to come from the TB and chrisgixer who seem to be inordinately sensitive to tyres, tramlining etc. Yet what is important is that they both use wheels that are not manufacturer spec but produced by a third party ie Irmscher and probably have no bearing to the majority of us running standard Omega wheels. The wider and lower profile your tyres are, the more sensitive to tramlining they are.

Having used Conti SC3, SC5, PS3, F1 Assym 2, Dunlop sport maxx etc on the Omega, I cannot say that there is as great a difference as some would claim there is. There are differences and I know which I prefer, but wouldn't label any of them being outright rubbish.

It is very similar to TB bleating about how no android phone can provide the email requirements he has, yet that does not apply to 99.9% of us on here.

Then you have cem (the other extreme) who will believe everything that is written on google and wikipedia is true and gospel.

A somewhat more balanced middle of the road approach works for most people.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 June 2014, 15:10:15 »

I think you will find them to be reasonable tyres. I cannot imagine Conti releasing tyres that are absolutely rubbish as some on here would claim. The same I feel applies to Michelin Pilot sport 3's and F1 Assym 2's. The negativity seems to come from the TB and chrisgixer who seem to be inordinately sensitive to tyres, tramlining etc. Yet what is important is that they both use wheels that are not manufacturer spec but produced by a third party ie Irmscher and probably have no bearing to the majority of us running standard Omega wheels. The wider and lower profile your tyres are, the more sensitive to tramlining they are.

Having used Conti SC3, SC5, PS3, F1 Assym 2, Dunlop sport maxx etc on the Omega, I cannot say that there is as great a difference as some would claim there is. There are differences and I know which I prefer, but wouldn't label any of them being outright rubbish.

It is very similar to TB bleating about how no android phone can provide the email requirements he has, yet that does not apply to 99.9% of us on here.

Then you have cem (the other extreme) who will believe everything that is written on google and wikipedia is true and gospel.

A somewhat more balanced middle of the road approach works for most people.

In my subjective opinion, I rate these tyres highly. :y

Others may say they are 'shite'.... :y

05omegav6

« Reply #42 on: 01 June 2014, 17:09:17 »

In defence, the Irmscher wheels are factory aporoved/certified/available options.

I am with Opti on the Goodyear Assyms, btw :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #43 on: 01 June 2014, 17:14:02 »

Woooow hold up a minute.

"Some" here seem to be implying that these are all the same simply due to the fact they haven't noticed the difference.

Ok fine, but why is that?  In the same way all drivers are not the same, all tyres are not the same either. The simple fact that one poster can't TELL the difference, doesn't mean they are the same.

Driving style is a key factor. You need to look at the driving style of the person posting as to weather they will reach those limits in order to find the differences.

I can assure you TB WILL find the limits of any road tyre. And those limits where exceeded LONG before any of the others in that list with the sc5.

Implying that tyre is the same as the others in your opinion is one thing, but implying another drivers opinion is invalid, a driver you don't know, or have any experience of clearly, is not on.

You have no idea of the experience and conditions involved wth the appalling handling characteristics of the sc5. I do. TB does.

Given those facts, at no point should the sc5 be recommended for the omega. Based on the first hand agreed experience of two members. Its Shite.

You personally may not push its envelope enough to notice, but given that above, it will never be recommended unanimously here.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 June 2014, 17:36:24 »

You personally may not push its envelope enough to notice, but given that above, it will never be recommended unanimously here.

.. even if it's a Fer.. Fer.. Fer.. F**ken, I wonder?

chrisgixer

« Reply #45 on: 01 June 2014, 18:01:31 »

.. even if it's a Fer.. Fer.. Fer.. F**ken, I wonder?

Probably not. By the sound of it.

Stemo

« Reply #46 on: 01 June 2014, 18:01:31 »

Woooow hold up a minute.

"Some" here seem to be implying that these are all the same simply due to the fact they haven't noticed the difference.

Ok fine, but why is that?  In the same way all drivers are not the same, all tyres are not the same either. The simple fact that one poster can't TELL the difference, doesn't mean they are the same.

Driving style is a key factor. You need to look at the driving style of the person posting as to weather they will reach those limits in order to find the differences.

I can assure you TB WILL find the limits of any road tyre. And those limits where exceeded LONG before any of the others in that list with the sc5.

Implying that tyre is the same as the others in your opinion is one thing, but implying another drivers opinion is invalid, a driver you don't know, or have any experience of clearly, is not on.

You have no idea of the experience and conditions involved wth the appalling handling characteristics of the sc5. I do. TB does.

Given those facts, at no point should the sc5 be recommended for the omega. Based on the first hand agreed experience of two members. Its Shite.

You and your tyres. They're all much of a muchness on a normal car with a normal driver.  ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #47 on: 01 June 2014, 18:04:46 »

Woooow hold up a minute.

You and your tyres. They're all much of a muchness on a normal car with a normal driver.  ;D

I wouldn't recommend sc5 to my Grandma.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 June 2014, 21:19:20 »

That's probably unfair on the tyre. I'm sure on a small family hatchback, they are probably good.

Just unsuited, IMHO, to an Omega.

Unless your grandma drives an Omega :P ;D

I do feel, worry even, that the current crop of tyres, which seem substandard compared to the previous generations, and being manufactured to get the 3 specs that have to go on labelling, ie, noise, wet braking and economy.  Whatever committee of morons came up with those specs should be strung up and shot - surely the number 1 priority of any tyre is grip.

As to SC5 specifically, on an Omega, I don't think that 3k out of a set of fronts, and 6k out of a set of rears is anywhere near acceptable, especially given the easy life they had. At £700 for a set of 4, its unviable as well.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 01 June 2014, 21:24:17 »

In defence, the Irmscher wheels are factory aporoved/certified/available options.

I am with Opti on the Goodyear Assyms, btw :y
I am a little disappointed with grip, I had expected better. Don't get me wrong, its not a bad tyre, just not as good as I had expected.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 June 2014, 21:30:41 »

The negativity seems to come from the TB and chrisgixer who seem to be inordinately sensitive to tyres, tramlining etc. Yet what is important is that they both use wheels that are not manufacturer spec but produced by a third party ie Irmscher and probably have no bearing to the majority of us running standard Omega wheels.
235/45/17, as fitted to one of mine, is a bog standard size, and they are on bog standard Omega wheels. Yes, one of my Omegas (usually) runs on 235/40/18.

Indeed, what is right for one might not be right for others. Like the fact we know that Android ecosystem only provides basic/poor email/collaboration tools, we can (as a community of Omega owners) hopefully provide some guidance on what works well, and what works poorly.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 June 2014, 21:36:09 »

Indeed, what is right for one might not be right for others. Like the fact we know that Android ecosystem only provides basic/poor email/collaboration tools, we can (as a community of Omega owners) hopefully provide some guidance on what works well, and what works poorly.

If I didn't have to collaborate with tools, I'd be a happy man. ;)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 June 2014, 22:14:33 »

That's probably unfair on the tyre. I'm sure on a small family hatchback, they are probably good.

I do feel, worry even, that the current crop of tyres, which seem substandard compared to the previous generations, and being manufactured to get the 3 specs that have to go on labelling, ie, noise, wet braking and economy.  Whatever committee of morons came up with those specs should be strung up and shot - surely the number 1 priority of any tyre is grip.

As to SC5 specifically, on an Omega, I don't think that 3k out of a set of fronts, and 6k out of a set of rears is anywhere near acceptable, especially given the easy life they had. At £700 for a set of 4, its unviable as well.

This is where I beg to disagree. I have had a full set on my standard Omega, got about 10k from them ( i am doing huge mileage at the moment) following a new from wishbone+poly and full WIM setup. Admittedly it was predominantly running up and down the A1/A1M. But it was fine, I never lost traction unless I drove like an absolute idiot. And was fine in the wet too. Now how is that unsuitable on an Omega? Why would I not recommend it to the remaining 99.9% of Omega drivers who dont drive like you. After all you are constantly talking about loosing traction, grip etc. The majority of owners here are not experiencing the symptoms you claim to experience.

On the other hand Falkens are deadly. I accept that. They were deadly on a FWD hot hatch I had a few years ago. They were poor on a BMW I had. So I have a low expectation from the company's products.

But as per you assessment, the only suitable tyres are a non existent Dunlop and SC3. How does that help OOF in deciding to buy a new tyre for their cars? And if you ask chrisgixer to contribute than it has to be a MO variant which is as rare as rocking horse shit!

Lastly let me say that my response was to the Phaeton owner who has a car which is completely different from the Omega and the SC5 may be perfect for it. So no need to be dismissive of their choice.

I am not dismissing your or chrisgixer's needs. It is just that your needs are not in line with the rest of the forums needs. So perhaps then, your recommendations are not in line with what other "normal" folk need/require.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2014, 22:17:00 by D »
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

chrisgixer

« Reply #53 on: 01 June 2014, 22:20:19 »

Ah, Troll moDe.... ::)

Anyway, moving on ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01 June 2014, 22:25:45 »

Anyway, moving on ;D

D  doesn't  agree with you so becomes a troll,have you lost the rather plot or something >:(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

chrisgixer

« Reply #55 on: 01 June 2014, 22:29:33 »

Anyway, moving on ;D

D  doesn't  agree with you so becomes a troll,have you lost the rather plot or something >:(

D disagrees with everyone. He's quite a fair troll. ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01 June 2014, 23:41:48 »

just arrived following a troll down M6 M40 and the SC5s are a dream. Cheers to all - report back in 12 months!!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 02 June 2014, 00:00:07 »

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 02 June 2014, 00:19:24 »

Well... they're black and round :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 02 June 2014, 00:29:59 »

And cheap!!!!!..................... ::) ::)

Stemo

« Reply #60 on: 02 June 2014, 10:22:17 »

This is where I beg to disagree. I have had a full set on my standard Omega, got about 10k from them ( i am doing huge mileage at the moment) following a new from wishbone+poly and full WIM setup. Admittedly it was predominantly running up and down the A1/A1M. But it was fine, I never lost traction unless I drove like an absolute idiot. And was fine in the wet too. Now how is that unsuitable on an Omega? Why would I not recommend it to the remaining 99.9% of Omega drivers who dont drive like you. After all you are constantly talking about loosing traction, grip etc. The majority of owners here are not experiencing the symptoms you claim to experience.

On the other hand Falkens are deadly. I accept that. They were deadly on a FWD hot hatch I had a few years ago. They were poor on a BMW I had. So I have a low expectation from the company's products.

But as per you assessment, the only suitable tyres are a non existent Dunlop and SC3. How does that help OOF in deciding to buy a new tyre for their cars? And if you ask chrisgixer to contribute than it has to be a MO variant which is as rare as rocking horse shit!

Lastly let me say that my response was to the Phaeton owner who has a car which is completely different from the Omega and the SC5 may be perfect for it. So no need to be dismissive of their choice.

I am not dismissing your or chrisgixer's needs. It is just that your needs are not in line with the rest of the forums needs. So perhaps then, your recommendations are not in line with what other "normal" folk need/require.
10K from a set of tyres? My car has done 9.5K and the tyres (Michelin) look virtually new, 6mm at least.

chrisgixer

« Reply #61 on: 02 June 2014, 11:25:10 »

Yeah but you have that... special aroma, Esta.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 June 2014, 12:01:32 »

How about these?..................

http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/1846451/goodride-sv-308-225-50-r17-98v.html

Goodride tyres! Sounds like a Bond girl.......  Honey Goodride!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 02 June 2014, 12:05:16 »

Anyway, moving on ;D

Coming from the forums resident Troll I should think D will find that a huge compliment!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega3000

« Reply #64 on: 02 June 2014, 13:12:39 »

Dont have any car long enough to change tyres  ::) ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02 June 2014, 13:44:51 »

Not wishing to cause trouble but I had excellent service from Michelin Primacy which were on car from new and I changed like for like a couple of times until Phaeton arrived then I went cheaper.

chrisgixer

« Reply #66 on: 02 June 2014, 14:08:54 »

Anyway, moving on ;D

Coming from the forums resident Troll I should think D will find that a huge compliment!  :y

Oi. You know I'm not THAT ugly. :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02 June 2014, 14:28:10 »

All perfectly valid :y, except you are still only getting 10k out of them, yet you drive steadily and on motorways. I find that sort of mileage from a premium priced tyre with a budget tyre level of grip quite unacceptable.

For clarity, the SC5s I had were not ever driven hard, they couldn't be, although they did have to tolerate the country lanes and roundabouts I suffer on my daily commute. Given that yours last 10k on an incredibly easy journey (tyre wise), I guess 3-6k is about what should be expected from them on my commute. Which is unacceptable from such a tyre. Evened out, that's 15.5p a mile in tyres.

But this is completely the kind of discussion we need to be having here :y

And to everyone, stop slanging matches, name calling, whatever. Everybody has an equal opinion which needs to be respected.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 June 2014, 14:32:34 »

10K from a set of tyres? My car has done 9.5K and the tyres (Michelin) look virtually new, 6mm at least.
So, about halfway through their life?

Tyres mostly start out with 9mm, end of life at 2mm (most manufacturers recommend no lower than 3mm, but then they would), and the 2nd half always wears quicker.

That's one of the reasons I say what I do about part worns - most are 5mm, cost around half the price of a new tyre, plus £10+ per corner to fit...   ...doesn't make financial sense  :-\
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #69 on: 02 June 2014, 18:45:59 »

Dont have any car long enough to change tyres  ::) ;D

;D :y

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 02 June 2014, 19:22:00 »

All perfectly valid :y, except you are still only getting 10k out of them, yet you drive steadily and on motorways. I find that sort of mileage from a premium priced tyre with a budget tyre level of grip quite unacceptable.

For clarity, the SC5s I had were not ever driven hard, they couldn't be, although they did have to tolerate the country lanes and roundabouts I suffer on my daily commute. Given that yours last 10k on an incredibly easy journey (tyre wise), I guess 3-6k is about what should be expected from them on my commute. Which is unacceptable from such a tyre. Evened out, that's 15.5p a mile in tyres.

But this is completely the kind of discussion we need to be having here :y

Very true. Mileage was poor (relatively speaking). Plus I think I binned them at 3mm. I generally dont drive below 2.5mm.

But I used to get 10-12k (per rear set) from my old BMW, so I am used to thinking that is ok on the Omega.

Stemo

« Reply #71 on: 02 June 2014, 19:29:37 »

So, about halfway through their life?

Tyres mostly start out with 9mm, end of life at 2mm (most manufacturers recommend no lower than 3mm, but then they would), and the 2nd half always wears quicker.

That's one of the reasons I say what I do about part worns - most are 5mm, cost around half the price of a new tyre, plus £10+ per corner to fit...   ...doesn't make financial sense  :-\
Shut up, you fickin know all. ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.