Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 7642 times)

Stemo

Re: Tyres
« Reply #60 on: 02 June 2014, 10:22:17 »

I wouldn't recommend sc5 to my Grandma.
That's probably unfair on the tyre. I'm sure on a small family hatchback, they are probably good.

Just unsuited, IMHO, to an Omega.

Unless your grandma drives an Omega :P ;D

I do feel, worry even, that the current crop of tyres, which seem substandard compared to the previous generations, and being manufactured to get the 3 specs that have to go on labelling, ie, noise, wet braking and economy.  Whatever committee of morons came up with those specs should be strung up and shot - surely the number 1 priority of any tyre is grip.

As to SC5 specifically, on an Omega, I don't think that 3k out of a set of fronts, and 6k out of a set of rears is anywhere near acceptable, especially given the easy life they had. At £700 for a set of 4, its unviable as well.

This is where I beg to disagree. I have had a full set on my standard Omega, got about 10k from them ( i am doing huge mileage at the moment) following a new from wishbone+poly and full WIM setup. Admittedly it was predominantly running up and down the A1/A1M. But it was fine, I never lost traction unless I drove like an absolute idiot. And was fine in the wet too. Now how is that unsuitable on an Omega? Why would I not recommend it to the remaining 99.9% of Omega drivers who dont drive like you. After all you are constantly talking about loosing traction, grip etc. The majority of owners here are not experiencing the symptoms you claim to experience.

On the other hand Falkens are deadly. I accept that. They were deadly on a FWD hot hatch I had a few years ago. They were poor on a BMW I had. So I have a low expectation from the company's products.

But as per you assessment, the only suitable tyres are a non existent Dunlop and SC3. How does that help OOF in deciding to buy a new tyre for their cars? And if you ask chrisgixer to contribute than it has to be a MO variant which is as rare as rocking horse shit!

Lastly let me say that my response was to the Phaeton owner who has a car which is completely different from the Omega and the SC5 may be perfect for it. So no need to be dismissive of their choice.

I am not dismissing your or chrisgixer's needs. It is just that your needs are not in line with the rest of the forums needs. So perhaps then, your recommendations are not in line with what other "normal" folk need/require.
10K from a set of tyres? My car has done 9.5K and the tyres (Michelin) look virtually new, 6mm at least.

chrisgixer

« Reply #61 on: 02 June 2014, 11:25:10 »

Yeah but you have that... special aroma, Esta.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 June 2014, 12:01:32 »

How about these?..................

http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/1846451/goodride-sv-308-225-50-r17-98v.html

Goodride tyres! Sounds like a Bond girl.......  Honey Goodride!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 02 June 2014, 12:05:16 »

Ah, Troll moDe.... ::)

Anyway, moving on ;D

D  doesn't  agree with you so becomes a troll,have you lost the rather plot or something >:(

D disagrees with everyone. He's quite a fair troll. ;D

Coming from the forums resident Troll I should think D will find that a huge compliment!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega3000

« Reply #64 on: 02 June 2014, 13:12:39 »

Dont have any car long enough to change tyres  ::) ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02 June 2014, 13:44:51 »

Not wishing to cause trouble but I had excellent service from Michelin Primacy which were on car from new and I changed like for like a couple of times until Phaeton arrived then I went cheaper.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

chrisgixer

« Reply #66 on: 02 June 2014, 14:08:54 »

Ah, Troll moDe.... ::)

Anyway, moving on ;D

D  doesn't  agree with you so becomes a troll,have you lost the rather plot or something >:(

D disagrees with everyone. He's quite a fair troll. ;D

Coming from the forums resident Troll I should think D will find that a huge compliment!  :y

Oi. You know I'm not THAT ugly. :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02 June 2014, 14:28:10 »

I wouldn't recommend sc5 to my Grandma.
That's probably unfair on the tyre. I'm sure on a small family hatchback, they are probably good.

Just unsuited, IMHO, to an Omega.

Unless your grandma drives an Omega :P ;D

I do feel, worry even, that the current crop of tyres, which seem substandard compared to the previous generations, and being manufactured to get the 3 specs that have to go on labelling, ie, noise, wet braking and economy.  Whatever committee of morons came up with those specs should be strung up and shot - surely the number 1 priority of any tyre is grip.

As to SC5 specifically, on an Omega, I don't think that 3k out of a set of fronts, and 6k out of a set of rears is anywhere near acceptable, especially given the easy life they had. At £700 for a set of 4, its unviable as well.

This is where I beg to disagree. I have had a full set on my standard Omega, got about 10k from them ( i am doing huge mileage at the moment) following a new from wishbone+poly and full WIM setup. Admittedly it was predominantly running up and down the A1/A1M. But it was fine, I never lost traction unless I drove like an absolute idiot. And was fine in the wet too. Now how is that unsuitable on an Omega? Why would I not recommend it to the remaining 99.9% of Omega drivers who dont drive like you. After all you are constantly talking about loosing traction, grip etc. The majority of owners here are not experiencing the symptoms you claim to experience.

On the other hand Falkens are deadly. I accept that. They were deadly on a FWD hot hatch I had a few years ago. They were poor on a BMW I had. So I have a low expectation from the company's products.

But as per you assessment, the only suitable tyres are a non existent Dunlop and SC3. How does that help OOF in deciding to buy a new tyre for their cars? And if you ask chrisgixer to contribute than it has to be a MO variant which is as rare as rocking horse shit!

Lastly let me say that my response was to the Phaeton owner who has a car which is completely different from the Omega and the SC5 may be perfect for it. So no need to be dismissive of their choice.

I am not dismissing your or chrisgixer's needs. It is just that your needs are not in line with the rest of the forums needs. So perhaps then, your recommendations are not in line with what other "normal" folk need/require.
All perfectly valid :y, except you are still only getting 10k out of them, yet you drive steadily and on motorways. I find that sort of mileage from a premium priced tyre with a budget tyre level of grip quite unacceptable.

For clarity, the SC5s I had were not ever driven hard, they couldn't be, although they did have to tolerate the country lanes and roundabouts I suffer on my daily commute. Given that yours last 10k on an incredibly easy journey (tyre wise), I guess 3-6k is about what should be expected from them on my commute. Which is unacceptable from such a tyre. Evened out, that's 15.5p a mile in tyres.

But this is completely the kind of discussion we need to be having here :y

And to everyone, stop slanging matches, name calling, whatever. Everybody has an equal opinion which needs to be respected.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 June 2014, 14:32:34 »

10K from a set of tyres? My car has done 9.5K and the tyres (Michelin) look virtually new, 6mm at least.
So, about halfway through their life?

Tyres mostly start out with 9mm, end of life at 2mm (most manufacturers recommend no lower than 3mm, but then they would), and the 2nd half always wears quicker.

That's one of the reasons I say what I do about part worns - most are 5mm, cost around half the price of a new tyre, plus £10+ per corner to fit...   ...doesn't make financial sense  :-\
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #69 on: 02 June 2014, 18:45:59 »

Dont have any car long enough to change tyres  ::) ;D

;D :y

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 02 June 2014, 19:22:00 »

All perfectly valid :y, except you are still only getting 10k out of them, yet you drive steadily and on motorways. I find that sort of mileage from a premium priced tyre with a budget tyre level of grip quite unacceptable.

For clarity, the SC5s I had were not ever driven hard, they couldn't be, although they did have to tolerate the country lanes and roundabouts I suffer on my daily commute. Given that yours last 10k on an incredibly easy journey (tyre wise), I guess 3-6k is about what should be expected from them on my commute. Which is unacceptable from such a tyre. Evened out, that's 15.5p a mile in tyres.

But this is completely the kind of discussion we need to be having here :y

Very true. Mileage was poor (relatively speaking). Plus I think I binned them at 3mm. I generally dont drive below 2.5mm.

But I used to get 10-12k (per rear set) from my old BMW, so I am used to thinking that is ok on the Omega.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Stemo

« Reply #71 on: 02 June 2014, 19:29:37 »

So, about halfway through their life?

Tyres mostly start out with 9mm, end of life at 2mm (most manufacturers recommend no lower than 3mm, but then they would), and the 2nd half always wears quicker.

That's one of the reasons I say what I do about part worns - most are 5mm, cost around half the price of a new tyre, plus £10+ per corner to fit...   ...doesn't make financial sense  :-\
Shut up, you fickin know all. ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.