Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oh drat  (Read 13338 times)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: oh drat
« Reply #15 on: 27 December 2014, 18:31:19 »

well motor is finally out it fought me all the way,having been in there nearly 30 years,it didnt want to see the light of day! box was rusted onto the dowels,a cleverly hidden earth cable in the greasy morass that resided under the motor,and it popped up free as a bird,

started tranferring parts over to the new motor then noticed the spigot bearing in the new one was damaged, so popped off the flywheel ready to replace it with the original one that was in good nick,
well in donkeys years of playing with engines I have only seen this particular symptom once before on a road engine
 :o
,she had snapped her crank off just in front of the rear main bearing! no wonder the box was jumping up and down,the flywheel was just a lump of floating steel on the end of the first motion shaft,being bashed every revolution by the broken end of the crank!!,

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2014, 00:12:02 »

,she had snapped her crank off just in front of the rear main bearing! no wonder the box was jumping up and down,the flywheel was just a lump of floating steel on the end of the first motion shaft,being bashed every revolution by the broken end of the crank!!,

'kinell! Good job the flywheel didn't make a bid for freedom. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2014, 15:27:38 »

started tranferring parts over to the new motor then noticed the spigot bearing in the new one was damaged, so popped off the flywheel ready to replace it with the original one that was in good nick,
well in donkeys years of playing with engines I have only seen this particular symptom once before on a road engine

That's a Mitsubishi speciality! It is common on Shoguns and the smaller 4 cylinder engines.
I recovered a nearly new Lancer where the customer had picked up  'a lump of metal', which turned out to be the crank pulleys and the crank snout!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2014, 18:24:15 »

couldnt go backwards cos of the first motion shaft length,still held on by the remains of the rear main bearing, so couldnt make a bid for freedom, just got bashed away till the motor cried enough, whipped head off today and not a mark on it all valves etc still good which surprised me!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2014, 18:27:06 »

That's a Mitsubishi speciality! It is common on Shoguns and the smaller 4 cylinder engines.
I recovered a nearly new Lancer where the customer had picked up  'a lump of metal', which turned out to be the crank pulleys and the crank snout!

Maybe on the newer ones and the smaller 4 pots but not on the early ones, cranks do die with irregular oil changes i agree, but this one had done 3200kilometers since last oil and filter change,Personally i think it was metal fatigue after 29 years of going round in circles! :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2014, 23:55:08 »

couldnt go backwards cos of the first motion shaft length,still held on by the remains of the rear main bearing, so couldnt make a bid for freedom, just got bashed away till the motor cried enough, whipped head off today and not a mark on it all valves etc still good which surprised me!

Yeah,  I suppose they actually have to burst to get any worse. Seen a couple of nasty incidents in kit cars, normally because they've been lightened too enthusiastically. :o

Not fun when you consider where they are in relation to your ankles!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2014, 00:02:24 »

Not fun when you consider where they are in relation to your ankles!

Forget the Ankles.......... About 3' from your happy sack.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 December 2014, 18:55:43 »

lol true enough,ok tried to add apicture but cant get it to load, who can do it for me if i send it to them, alternatively its now on fb but pretty sure a lot of you dont do facebook?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 January 2015, 20:19:27 »

Well is it working yet?

I am sorry to say I had to drink your pint of Ruddles last night. Couldn't wait any longer!

Happy New Year :y :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 January 2015, 21:07:52 »

Well is it working yet?

I am sorry to say I had to drink your pint of Ruddles last night. Couldn't wait any longer!

Happy New Year :y :y

SWINE!! rebuilt bottom end is in and bolted to gearbox etc,clutch control is all bolted up,just got to put cylinderhead, injectors,turbo,inlet and exhaust manifold,injection pump and pipes,turbo oil line,
balance belt,cam belt,covers for the aforementioned ,crank pulley,radiator and hoses,bonnet back on then see if it runs, :o

it was  a broken crankshaft,no damage i can see to gearbox,got pics of the crank that came out, in two pieces but cant get them to post on here, cant access me photobucket account either lol so they are on fb

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2015, 21:31:43 »

Hmm does this link work?

http://imgur.com/TKwgt2x

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 January 2015, 21:33:50 »

Hmm does this link work?

http://imgur.com/TKwgt2x

Yes... but a tad big ..  :)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 January 2015, 21:58:10 »

hey thanks Entwood, ok will try to resize it, however it is a bit dramatic being that size! lol

aha think i got it now,its resized to message board?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 January 2015, 22:05:47 »

Hmm, put the two parts in a dish washer then clean up well with something like wire wool and brake cleaner. 

Then mend with something like Araldite Rapid Steel or similar metal glue. Try not to get too much on the join otherwise the crank would need rebalancing.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 02 January 2015, 22:10:58 »

Hmm, put the two parts in a dish washer then clean up well with something like wire wool and brake cleaner. 

Then mend with something like Araldite Rapid Steel or similar metal glue. Try not to get too much on the join otherwise the crank would need rebalancing.

Typical Spanish back street garage repair, right Varche? ;D  Although you seem to be missing the step involving duct tape and bailing wire..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.