Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oh drat  (Read 13337 times)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: oh drat
« Reply #45 on: 03 January 2015, 19:48:56 »

actually STMO  you were almost right they are called by some people valve stem shims,
although lash cap is the correct term,

and guess what,only 8mm ones availabel are in the damn us and 2 weeks delivery!

unless anyone know the size of 200 and 300 tdi landrover valve stems? if they are 8mm then they will do!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 January 2015, 20:01:35 »

ok l,rover 300 tdi uses 7.96 diameter valves,now need to find a set of lash caps for one !! proving diffiicult out here!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 January 2015, 10:46:14 »

I smell tractor blood on Omegatoy's hands. I always said he was a bloody hooligan ;D

Still, you loose the MIL in a few days :P
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 January 2015, 20:34:52 »

I smell tractor blood on Omegatoy's hands. I always said he was a bloody hooligan ;D

Still, you loose the MIL in a few days :P

lol tractor blood :yep it is true, however still stuck for the damn lash caps so cant do anything mpre in case i have to remove the cyl head to change the valves,so today finaly sorted the non opening door on the t4,got the non functioning central locking working,then diagnosed the suspension problem on the mercedes e300,(spheres f..cked) ordered the delivery port injection seals for the same car,and im going to sort the other few jobs that have been piling up for a while tomorrow!!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 January 2015, 11:42:14 »

Phew,it just gets better and better,
on wondering why i had nothing would lone up with the new engine and the old ancilliares did some research,a dn lo and behold year 85/86 they used the 4d55 engine which is a 2.3td, there after used the 4d56 motor which is 2.5tdi,
you would not believe the parts i have had to make to make it fit, after clocking the turbo, intake manifold to turbo different length, ok make new aluminium spacer then, ida connection is in the turbo on old, in intercooler pipework on new, so make new fitting there,aircon compressor braket ,make new one,even to removing my original cylinder head and getting the other one machined so i could use it,so its mostly back together now,just waiting for the new steel headgasket to arrive tomorrow, and fingers crossed it will be ready to start!

05omegav6

« Reply #50 on: 19 January 2015, 16:03:07 »

The simplest of tasks... fingers crossed :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 January 2015, 21:21:37 »

hah! had to use the 4d55 cambelt cogs and balance belt cogs,and guess what the markings are in a different place to the 4d56 cogs,

so had loads of fun working out tdc then cambelt postion using the ramps on the cam,then the spill angles on the injection pump,finally got it to what i thought was almost correct,tentatively barred it over twice,seemed ok,sooo then attempted to get fuel up through the pump into the injectors etc etc,

anyway after sorting various fuel leaks out and stopping it drawing in air,

It runs!!!!

albeit it,
with the following not fitted or missing :-\
no balance belt, removed so i could see the crank postion easier
no down pipem
not electrics just jury rigged the solenoid as i appear to have a wiring fault somewhere,
no cooling system
turbo pipes not connected still :o
no ancilliares at all,
no belt covers
no rocker cover fitted oops oil everywhere,
tappets not set just guestimated to around 15thou
and a whole lot of other stuff still to be done!

ran it for 15seconds the first time, the started it agin for 10 seconds to check oil pressure as i forgot the 1st time, 4 bar on tickover!
soo few more hours and it may even move under its own power

05omegav6

« Reply #52 on: 22 January 2015, 21:29:14 »

So apart from that, sounds like you're almost done :y has the mil been helpful :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 22 January 2015, 22:08:08 »

on wondering why i had nothing would lone up with the new engine and the old ancilliares did some research,a dn lo and behold year 85/86 they used the 4d55 engine which is a 2.3td, there after used the 4d56 motor which is 2.5tdi,
you would not believe the parts i have had to make to make it fit, after clocking the turbo, intake manifold to turbo different length, ok make new aluminium spacer then, ida connection is in the turbo on old, in intercooler pipework on new, so make new fitting there,aircon compressor braket ,make new one,even to removing my original cylinder head and getting the other one machined so i could use it,so its mostly back together now,just waiting for the new steel headgasket to arrive tomorrow, and fingers crossed it will be ready to start!

Getting the other one machined all impressive stuff, more so if you did it in Spain :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23 January 2015, 21:08:46 »

Getting the other one machined all impressive stuff, more so if you did it in Spain :y

lol luckily i know  an english guy who works in a spanish machine shop,he does all their rebores and other stuff has 3 or 4 lathes at his house,and is rather clever with engines,  :y

still not finshed bit getting there  ::) now found the exhaust manifold on the new engine is a different length! ye gods, currently making some spacers for that!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 January 2015, 20:46:22 »

well it runs, was a little incontinent to start with but mnor leak on the thermostat housing,
exhaust was to short :( adjustment on the mountings helped with that,different turbo length to blame,
holds all fluids properly gets up to temp and stays there no excess pressure in the system,absolutly brilliant oil pressure compared to the old engine,runs on tickover lovely,
Does not like to rev over 2k, :P not getting enough fuel,so tomorrow will run it direct from a can of diesel and bypass the tank and filter, if it runs good then its either a blockage in the fuel line or a blocked fuel filter, or its drawing air in somewhere, if it dont run properly off the can it could just be the difference in injectors,from 2.3 to 2.5, hope not! :'(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24 January 2015, 21:24:32 »

Crikey. Did I see you on a programme about keeping cars running in Cuba on recycled bits??
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 January 2015, 08:37:53 »

Crikey. Did I see you on a programme about keeping cars running in Cuba on recycled bits??

lol nicknamed by one of my mates as pancho, does that count?

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 26 January 2015, 21:14:24 »

FINALLY!!

It now runs sweet as a nut!
could not work out why it wouldnt rev properly,
clean fuel made a little difference but not much
new filter made a little difference but not much,
ok ida adjustment made a little better but not much,
it stil would not pull up the steep hill,
ok smoke control adjustment meant
it went a little better but not much and loads of black smoke
could hear the turbo trying to boost properly buit it would not,

ok sit down and think about this,

cuppa tea,few swear words and nothing came to mind,
go over everything that has goine wrong with this engine swap,anything unanswered?
no
BUT
the turbo was mounted a little higher whcih caused the exhaust to be a fair bit(about 2.5cm)short
could it be that?

Crap, it was only the blasted wastegate arm was to long form the 2,3 engine!!
shorten rod go up hill at horrendous speed and shout from the top of it!! whoratherray!
back down to barn, now put smoke screw back where it should be,put bonnet on take it home, and fix the blowing exhaust in the morning! ::) :y

05omegav6

« Reply #59 on: 26 January 2015, 21:34:05 »

Job jobbed 8)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.