Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega replacements  (Read 8595 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Omega replacements
« Reply #60 on: 21 July 2015, 15:25:11 »

Must have been unlucky then... Mine has only been recovered twice... Clutch both times... Not counting accident damage :-X
Omega foibles are very well documented and nothing is that significant...

If you're spending tens of thousands on a nearly new car, the warranty should provide alot of piece of mind, but even so, Jlr still don't have a great track record, however nice the cars look, and if I were to spend a reasonable sum on another car, it would most likely be a left field choice, and probably lefthand drive... Not to mention being a similar age as the Omega or older. A Buick station wagon has a certain appeal, as does an older S class... ::)

If I had nearly new Xj levels of cash to spend, then a VXR8 or Camaro would be on the drive, and if I needed a posh saloon then the Tesla Model S would be top of the list..

In the meantime, two twelve year old Omegas suit me just fine ;)

So you're not talking from personal experience then - never owned a Jag?

??? ??? ???

You were mentioning Estate? Shows how much you know  :y

Given someones silence over his parents XF estate, I suspect that all is not as rosy as it looks with the Jag... ::)

Do I have to give full updates on my parents cars for you?  :-\  ???

Fine. Both cars bought for cash...

MotherT has a 2014 Merc E220 AMG Spec Estate, Half Leather seats and she is very, very happy with it. Zero issues, faultless. Also very happy with Merc dealers, very good experiance. Would I buy one, of course.

FatherT's 2013 Jag XF, it's Portfolio spec, so got every gadget plus some extra's. It's smooth, fast and very refined for a diesel. Again, dealer has been brilliant, whole service from the 'red carpet' session were the car was presented, to being told service information. A video was provided online via the dealers website to approve work, he can see what needs doing, tyres, under bonnect ect, approve online for work to be done. Outstanding.

So why are neither on my list for Omega replacements?

Errr cause I don't have £30-40k to spend. I'm not using car finance, that's not the way to do things.

When I buy, it will be for cash, so with my potential budget in next few years a CLS fits in it. Nice XF's are out of budget. Are you ok with that?  ::)

Ohh but XJ's are on my list, as they are in budget, which I've mentioned before.  ;)

Guess you're talking X350/X358 Tunnie - certainly I had good experiences with my X350, and would certainly recommend it as a reliable, competent high speed tourer.

RE your comments about the Jag dealers, I can echo those - even got a bottle of bolly when I picked my V8 up! :y

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 July 2015, 15:36:06 »

Yes X350, assume X358 is face lifted one? Before it went to your shape?

I've driven V8 X350, very nice. Loved driving position, centre arm rest etc. Defo up on the list, CLS looks nicer I think, but yet to drive one.

Around £10k gets some very nice examples, looking for around 80k miles I think. Be a few years as suggested, so one of your shape maybe in my budget when the time comes  :D

aaronjb

« Reply #62 on: 21 July 2015, 15:45:32 »

I was going to say something about having to be slim to be comfortable in a Jag .. then I remembered who I'm talking to ;D

That said I did find the XF comfortable, if a little cocoon-like in the seating area. The boot (of the Sportbrake) looked cavernous though.

I'm starting to think about Omega replacement-replacements (planning ahead) but so far I'm perfectly happy with the Ranger - not that most people would replace a comfy cruiser with a utilitarian pickup. :D

VW Touareg, maybe. Something like that. Unless I'm done with DIY by then...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 July 2015, 15:48:38 »

Thing is I know of 406 HDI that is spare, spotless condition, cheap to run, DIY looks straight forward. Also I have an attachment to it, for family reasons. I keep thinking about chopping in the 3.2 for it.  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 July 2015, 15:58:43 »

My X-Type was as unreliable as an unreliable thing having a bad day.

Not a REAL Jag though.....which have moved on since the dark days of the seventies. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 July 2015, 16:00:22 »

I was going to say something about having to be slim to be comfortable in a Jag .. then I remembered who I'm talking to ;D

That said I did find the XF comfortable, if a little cocoon-like in the seating area. The boot (of the Sportbrake) looked cavernous though.

I'm starting to think about Omega replacement-replacements (planning ahead) but so far I'm perfectly happy with the Ranger - not that most people would replace a comfy cruiser with a utilitarian pickup. :D

VW Touareg, maybe. Something like that. Unless I'm done with DIY by then...

Are you thinking of starting a 'rubble removal' business, Aaron?..... ::) ::) :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 July 2015, 16:08:39 »

Must have been unlucky then... Mine has only been recovered twice... Clutch both times... Not counting accident damage :-X

If you're spending tens of thousands on a nearly new car, the warranty should provide alot of piece of mind, but even so, Jlr still don't have a great track record, however nice the cars look, and if I were to spend a reasonable sum on another car, it would most likely be a left field choice, and probably lefthand drive... Not to mention being a similar age as the Omega or older. A Buick station wagon has a certain appeal, as does an older S class... ::)

If I had nearly new Xj levels of cash to spend, then a VXR8 or Camaro would be on the drive, and if I needed a posh saloon then the Tesla Model S would be top of the list..

??? ??? ???

Given someones silence over his parents XF estate, I suspect that all is not as rosy as it looks with the Jag... ::)

MotherT has a 2014 Merc E220 AMG Spec Estate, Half Leather seats and she is very, very happy with it. Zero issues, faultless. Also very happy with Merc dealers, very good experiance. Would I buy one, of course.

FatherT's 2013 Jag XF, it's Portfolio spec, so got every gadget plus some extra's. It's smooth, fast and very refined for a diesel. Again, dealer has been brilliant, whole service from the 'red carpet' session were the car was presented, to being told service information. A video was provided online via the dealers website to approve work, he can see what needs doing, tyres, under bonnect ect, approve online for work to be done. Outstanding.

Errr cause I don't have £30-40k to spend. I'm not using car finance, that's not the way to do things.

When I buy, it will be for cash, so with my potential budget in next few years a CLS fits in it. Nice XF's are out of budget. Are you ok with that?  ::)

Ohh but XJ's are on my list, as they are in budget, which I've mentioned before.  ;)

Guess you're talking X350/X358 Tunnie - certainly I had good experiences with my X350, and would certainly recommend it as a reliable, competent high speed tourer.

RE your comments about the Jag dealers, I can echo those - even got a bottle of bolly when I picked my V8 up! :y

And what do you think of it?

Impressive?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 21 July 2015, 16:32:53 »

If looking for an XJ now, I would be seriously tempted by something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506124269795?maximum-mileage=up_to_80000_miles&channel=cars&model=xj&search-target=usedcars&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&page=2&fuel-type=diesel&make=jaguar&sort=default&radius=1500&logcode=p

They are nice, but I always felt that space inside was at a premium, especially given how large the car is. The facelift is a different kettle of fish, much more roomy. Just dont like the back end. Yes, infact the backend would put me off buying one, ever. Neighbour had a XJ-R, the supercharged variant. Loud and very nice.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #69 on: 21 July 2015, 16:36:45 »

??? ??? ???

And what do you think of it?

Impressive?

Excellent and yes, accelerates like stink for a big car, and fuel not too bad at around 25-26mpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506124269795?maximum-mileage=up_to_80000_miles&channel=cars&model=xj&search-target=usedcars&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&page=2&fuel-type=diesel&make=jaguar&sort=default&radius=1500&logcode=p

Looks good Tunnie - thats the facelifted car the X358, price a tad heavy though.  Personally I don't like diesel motors, prefer petrol, but that's a personal choice.

They are nice, but I always felt that space inside was at a premium, especially given how large the car is. The facelift is a different kettle of fish, much more roomy. Just dont like the back end. Yes, infact the backend would put me off buying one, ever. Neighbour had a XJ-R, the supercharged variant. Loud and very nice.

Pleny of space in an XJ (particularly compared to an Omega) - you're not thinking of an X-type or the later XF - they are a bit cramped imo.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2015, 16:39:04 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21 July 2015, 16:52:19 »

Diesel for cheaper go-go  :y

I do like the V8's boot space is not brilliant though, so LPG would be an issue. Don't see many of them on LPG either.

Even the diesel of that shape is not great on fuel, only 35mpg. Your shape is much better.  :)

05omegav6

« Reply #71 on: 21 July 2015, 18:04:07 »

When they were looking, I know the Xf was on the list... And I knew that they har subsequently bought one, kand having fleetingly seen it in passing I had presumed it was an estate. And given how you normally go on and on and about how good or bad summat is, I found the lack of any comment to be, er, unusual.

The E class would be my preferred choice of the two, and can be had cheaply enough if you shop around. Certainly mine did 30k in  8 months and only required  brakes and tyres in that time.time, so would expect nothing less.

Glad they like the Jag as well ;)

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 22 July 2015, 14:41:22 »

I bought an M5 at the end of last year when the MV6 decided to rupture a head gasket.

My only criticism really is the small boot for the size of the car and lack of folding rear seats.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.