Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper Motor  (Read 9225 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Proper Motor
« Reply #30 on: 22 September 2019, 11:00:06 »

Not really going to waste more money on diagnostic stuff, cold start missfire and loss of coolant is enough for me. It’s a case now of just keep topping it up until it lets go in a big way, or it’s consumption gets to point it can’t do a single run to or from work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 September 2019, 14:18:59 »

Running a proper car isn't really for you then... Better off buying a new Hyundai with its seven year warranty  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 September 2019, 14:39:25 »

Running a proper car isn't really for you then... Better off buying a new Hyundai with its seven year warranty  :-X

Yes he's not willing to sort out some minor issues on his V6 but tells us he wants a cheap V8!  ::)  ;D

It's OK just to sell the Omega because you want something different you know Tunnie!  :)

But you'd probably regret it after mind....  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22 September 2019, 14:43:19 »

Yes he's not willing to sort out some minor issues on his V6 but tells us he wants a cheap V8!  ::)  ;D

It's OK just to sell the Omega because you want something different you know Tunnie!  :)

No time for DIY will very quickly equate to £1,000 bills every time it goes in. They won't tolerate neglect very long.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 September 2019, 16:22:19 »

Minor issues, it’s the head that’s gone.  ;D

A clue in my lack of time was apparent when I took it to Serek for full service.

I can find some time for basic service work, like on the Zafira. But not constant almost nightly fiddling.

I want to save up for something new, just bad timing as my new car fund is depleted.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 September 2019, 18:04:51 »

Minor issues, it’s the head that’s gone.  ;D
Wow. Never seen that on *ANY* V6 Omega.  Not sure how you diagnosed that without removal. Impressive.

;)

If coolant is getting in the cylinder, I would have thought it was far more likely to be the head gasket, rather than the head.

TBH, anything in your current price range suggested in recent threads will need some tinkering - generally the higher it depreciates, the more it will need. A much newer car can be better, but you will get hit on the depreciation yourself - whether you think that's more cost effective than paying someone to fix what is a fairly minor fault on the Omega (that you CBA to diy) depends on what you plan on buying.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 September 2019, 18:10:00 »

I meant head gasket, just could not be bothered to type it.  ;D

You mention minor fault, but I’ve not a clue as to what you are referring to  :-\

It’s quite possible it will be sent to the scrappy before end of the year....

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 September 2019, 18:15:35 »

Hmmm, if it did end up being scrapped.... what's the gearbox, diff and drivers door like on it?  :-\ ::) :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 September 2019, 18:19:41 »

Hmmm, if it did end up being scrapped.... what's the gearbox, diff and drivers door like on it?  :-\ ::) :)

Gearbox in Serek’s view was poor, to the point he wanted to replace it rather than change the fluid. It’s better but still clonks into 3rd at times

Doors and body all excellent! Not sure on diff

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 September 2019, 18:28:25 »

Diff - as long as it's quiet at all speeds and isn't loosing fluid it's fine  ;D

It is a shame these cars are disappearing so rapidly now but it's to be expected, I just plan to keep two of mine going for as long as possible now, the third one, the daily might be replaced with something like a Volvo XC90 with a D5 if it expires in an expensive way.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 September 2019, 23:03:01 »

Sounds like you need to pressurise the cooling system cold and see where it leaks.

I wouldn't be worrying about the head gasket until you've completely eliminated the radiator (passenger side tank seems to be most common area), radiator drain valve, HBV, water pump, oil cooler cover plate, heater matrix and all the rubber hoses for starters.

I also fail to see how you can have enough water leaking into a cylinder to get a misfire yet it's not immediately blowing the pressure cap under load. Sure you haven't got a leaky scuttle dripping water into the plug wells?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 September 2019, 23:08:47 »

Sounds like you need to pressurise the cooling system cold and see where it leaks.

I wouldn't be worrying about the head gasket until you've completely eliminated the radiator (passenger side tank seems to be most common area), radiator drain valve, HBV, water pump, oil cooler cover plate, heater matrix and all the rubber hoses for starters.

I also fail to see how you can have enough water leaking into a cylinder to get a misfire yet it's not immediately blowing the pressure cap under load. Sure you haven't got a leaky scuttle dripping water into the plug wells?

No it’s not the scuttle, it miss fires after staying in a dry car park after the run to work. I’ve checked Coil pack areas, all dry. Plugs removed on 1-3-5. Plug 1 is very clean compared to rest ( see my other thread )

Serek pressure tested cooling system when he had it for a couple of weeks, he said it was fine with no leaks.  :-\

It was loosing coolant when I took it to him, with same misfire problem.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 22 September 2019, 23:12:19 »

I agree on coolant loss to pressure, as on slow run to work it empties half it’s headed tank, yet runs sweet as a nut and no excess pressure

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 22 September 2019, 23:41:51 »

Plug 5 was different to plugs 1+3...

And you didn't answer my question regarding bleeding it properly.

It will merrily boil off coolant until it runs out if there's an airlock in the heater ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 September 2019, 00:05:49 »

was the water pump leaking when you took it to serek ? or the rad ? or what ?
back then you had a visible leak which I assume was resolved and the minor coolant loss is proving hard for you to find ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.