Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel price hike survey  (Read 5396 times)

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel price hike survey
« Reply #30 on: 02 January 2011, 22:47:12 »

I think I'm gonna have to think about selling mine. I absolutely love it and it's been running like a dream lately, no problems at all (touch wood) but I can't help resenting the amount I'm having to put in the tank lately  :(
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 January 2011, 23:07:54 »

I'll just keep pumping it in. Can't see any other option really. I need a large heavy car for towing the caravan.

It does make a massive difference in travelling costs when towing the caravan with the Omega to holidaying solo with the BMW 330d though.
It's 17mpg against 50mpg. More money for beer. ;D
« Last Edit: 02 January 2011, 23:18:56 by Alan-Hearn »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

feeutfo

« Reply #32 on: 02 January 2011, 23:09:32 »

Ok fuels gone up, what to replace the omega with? And how much will that cost to buy? Add in running costs etc, what's the cheapest option that keeps us in the manor to which we are accustomed?
sell me your omega then !  ;D
Serious question. Will we be better off? ....or how long will it take to be better off? Bit like LPG payback.

Could go out and buy some pissy liitle pram on wheels with a bucket of bolts in the engine bay true enough, but I could have done that years ago. We all could have... :-?

shane1000

• derby
  • studied nothing for 35yrs so now an expert on it
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 January 2011, 23:17:04 »

buy yourself a motorbike (not a scooter) and just keep the miggy for best (sundays and meets) ;D

Millerboy

• Ellesmere, Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 January 2011, 23:24:27 »

I'm in a catch 22. Three kids, 11yrs, 6yrs and 13 months. I need a vehicle of this size due to the kids, but due to having 3 kids I'm skint. I may be looking at diesels but it's just after crimbo and the price of them, even the non-runners, is increasing exponentially daily now, and I thought people only panic bought bread and milk! >:(
Todd

russ0205

• northants
    • mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 January 2011, 23:25:56 »

Why sell now you will get jack s !!  for them and it will cost a fortune to buy an economical and (older) car. just keep the v6 running i will thats for sure  :y :y

Millerboy

• Ellesmere, Shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 January 2011, 23:30:13 »

Why sell now you will get jack s !!  for them and it will cost a fortune to buy an economical and (older) car. just keep the v6 running i will thats for sure  :y :y

In which case I'll buy a small diesel for now and keep the mig in mothballs until the revolution! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!  ::)
Todd

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 02 January 2011, 23:32:40 »

I'm in a catch 22. Three kids, 11yrs, 6yrs and 13 months. I need a vehicle of this size due to the kids, but due to having 3 kids I'm skint. I may be looking at diesels but it's just after crimbo and the price of them, even the non-runners, is increasing exponentially daily now, and I thought people only panic bought bread and milk! >:(

The 11 year old is old enough to be working down t' mines or up t' chimneys, surely ;)

And Chris - surely to remain in the manner to which you're accustomed you'd have to buy something equally large and equally refined and equally thirsty (or thereabouts) - E39/E60? That's going to cost you a packet to buy.. or I guess a late E34, or similar Audi/VW. VW Phaeton maybe? Prices of those dropped like a stone IIRC, but I bet they'll eat even more consumables than the Omega..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 January 2011, 23:41:15 »

Should add to my comment that I intend to keep mine on the road until it dies, but I expect it's replacement will be a BMW 530/730d as they are big (needs to be for my height and the 'van), comfy and pretty frugal to run. Yes, I know it will cost more to buy in the first place but I'll do all the maintenance (like I do on the Omega) so that cost won't be dramatically higher, even when you take into account the higher parts prices ;)

With the amount LPG has shot up (proportionally to Petrol/Diesel) around me I can't justify the expense of converting another V6.  :-/

Luckily, I've done about 50k on LPG since I converted this one, saving about 10ppl so a £5000 saving on my £700 outlay makes me a happy bunny ;D ;D :y :y This car hasn't cost me anything to buy or run if you look at that figure ::) ::) ;D ;D :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

zirax

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 January 2011, 00:38:56 »

A lot of the motors in my area are all between £500 and 1k over book price for Diesels.
Dr Richard Stephens:- "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear."

feeutfo

« Reply #40 on: 03 January 2011, 01:14:09 »

The 11 year old is old enough to be working down t' mines or up t' chimneys, surely ;)

And Chris - surely to remain in the manner to which you're accustomed you'd have to buy something equally large and equally refined and equally thirsty (or thereabouts) - E39/E60? That's going to cost you a packet to buy.. or I guess a late E34, or similar Audi/VW. VW Phaeton maybe? Prices of those dropped like a stone IIRC, but I bet they'll eat even more consumables than the Omega..
Thankyou, defence rests. :y

feeutfo

« Reply #41 on: 03 January 2011, 01:18:31 »

although where's Kevin? he'll make a good clear case one way or the other.

Kevin Wood to...what section am i in? yes...KEVIN WOOD TO GENERAL CAR CHAT PLEEEEEASE  :)
« Last Edit: 03 January 2011, 01:18:53 by chrisgixer »

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 03 January 2011, 01:22:43 »

although where's Kevin? he'll make a good clear case one way or the other.

Kevin Wood to...what section am i in? yes...KEVIN WOOD TO GENERAL CAR CHAT PLEEEEEASE  :)

Steady, he'll come in and tell us all to buy lightweight two seaters with no roofs as they'll be much more fuel efficient than an Omega!

Although.. he would have a point  ;D
« Last Edit: 03 January 2011, 01:22:53 by aaronjb »

Oh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03 January 2011, 04:20:17 »

These gas prices are pretty bad over in the States and especially being a Cadillac. They recommend using premium unleaded which is $3.50 a gallon.

Radiomarko

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunny Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03 January 2011, 08:45:51 »

I have not put rapeseed/diesel mix in a car since the last time there were crazy fuel prices.

I think its time again. Bosch pump? Put 50/50 diesel/supermarket rapessed in the tank - start saving. Trouble is the supermarkets cashed in 2 years ago... whats your cheapest thin cooking oil price?

The only concern may be if your lift pump is a bit tired and its sub-zero temp-  but I cant see 50/50 being a problem. 85% rape and 5% petrol? I'll leave that until the litre price is >£2.00!

Database
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/az_list.php?alphabet=v

forum - some omega info in there.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

:y
I hate seagulls.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.