Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel price hike survey  (Read 5398 times)

zirax

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel price hike survey
« Reply #45 on: 03 January 2011, 10:44:51 »

I have not put rapeseed/diesel mix in a car since the last time there were crazy fuel prices.

I think its time again. Bosch pump? Put 50/50 diesel/supermarket rapessed in the tank - start saving. Trouble is the supermarkets cashed in 2 years ago... whats your cheapest thin cooking oil price?

The only concern may be if your lift pump is a bit tired and its sub-zero temp-  but I cant see 50/50 being a problem. 85% rape and 5% petrol? I'll leave that until the litre price is >£2.00!

Database
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/az_list.php?alphabet=v

forum - some omega info in there.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

:y

That site confirms my initial research in that the older style diesel engines will run on SVO or WVO. Biodiesel sellers appear to be few and far between, the general consensus seems to be to make your own. Supermarkets are already loading the price of SVO making it more expensive than the diesel. I'd be tempted to get an older car to run on it, but I do need to be..... erm presentable at work.
Dr Richard Stephens:- "I would advise people, if they hurt themselves, to swear."

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 January 2011, 10:53:06 »

123.9 unlead95,128.9 diesel, at garage near to me.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

Radiomarko

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunny Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 03 January 2011, 11:23:25 »

zirax -

There is a thread from not so long back where SVO was discussed here... may be interesting for you.

I have run 3 different cars on SVO mix.
I hate seagulls.   

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03 January 2011, 13:23:45 »

although where's Kevin? he'll make a good clear case one way or the other.

Kevin Wood to...what section am i in? yes...KEVIN WOOD TO GENERAL CAR CHAT PLEEEEEASE  :)

Steady, he'll come in and tell us all to buy lightweight two seaters with no roofs as they'll be much more fuel efficient than an Omega!

Although.. he would have a point  ;D

Eh? What? What have I missed?

It's something I've considered, actually. Building a kit car for fuel economy as a garage companion for the one that was built for speed. ;)

Reckon it needs a more aerodynamic body than the Westfield. Perhaps a Fury? http://www.fishersportscars.co.uk/

I've seen a diesel Westfield. Pretty quick. 0-60 in 6s and 60MPG. Owner reckoned having a gearbox was a waste of time. :D Can't see it being a very involving drive, though, so I'd favour a small, light, revvy 4-pot. Rover K series, Ford Sigma or the little Ecotec? I guess the Corsa GSi Turbo Ecotec could probably be made to return decent fuel consumption, but the temptation to play might spoil it. :-/  ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tonyyeb

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 03 January 2011, 21:00:40 »

Sorry to hear that so many of you are being economically forced towards motoring blandness in the form of cheaper and duller cars.
Both chrisgixer and Aaronjb make the case for my viewpoint - what can you possibly buy that rewards and satisfies in the same way that a good V6 miggy does that is affordable to buy, reasonable to run, and that has good and reasonably priced parts availability?
Those of you that are compelled to do high weekly mileages in your V6's are caught in a bind, and i feel for you all. I can cope with the price increases virtue of the fact that I'm not committed to do more than 160 miles a week. I also do a shift or two at my local pub for a bit of extra cash, cash that I basically earn for petrol money. I'll just do another one or two of those, and i won't be out of pocket.

I am concerned about the spiralling nature of the cost of fuel, but today (as i am most days when I drive the Elite  [smiley=laugh.gif]) I was happily reminded of why I won't part with it, or drive it less. Driving through Salisbury very slowly in traffic, I turned off into a side street and briefly nailed it by way of light relief. The large houses either side of the street bounced the gorgeous noise of the exhaust back at me, and I'm briefly rocketing down the road with a huge grin on my face..... [smiley=laugh.gif]

Honestly - what price happiness??

aaronjb

« Reply #50 on: 03 January 2011, 21:04:28 »

although where's Kevin? he'll make a good clear case one way or the other.

Kevin Wood to...what section am i in? yes...KEVIN WOOD TO GENERAL CAR CHAT PLEEEEEASE  :)

Steady, he'll come in and tell us all to buy lightweight two seaters with no roofs as they'll be much more fuel efficient than an Omega!

Although.. he would have a point  ;D

Eh? What? What have I missed?

It's something I've considered, actually. Building a kit car for fuel economy as a garage companion for the one that was built for speed. ;)

Reckon it needs a more aerodynamic body than the Westfield. Perhaps a Fury? http://www.fishersportscars.co.uk/

I've seen a diesel Westfield. Pretty quick. 0-60 in 6s and 60MPG. Owner reckoned having a gearbox was a waste of time. :D Can't see it being a very involving drive, though, so I'd favour a small, light, revvy 4-pot. Rover K series, Ford Sigma or the little Ecotec? I guess the Corsa GSi Turbo Ecotec could probably be made to return decent fuel consumption, but the temptation to play might spoil it. :-/  ::)

Kevin

Don't worry, I was just putting words in your mouth ;)

Though you reminded me that someone also stuck (at least I think they completed it) a diesel into the MR2 Roadster - that was another one where the gearbox was apparently quite redundant, but like you I just can't see it being an 'involving' drive.. I'm all for low-down grunt, but I like an engine that continues to sing high up, not one that runs out of revs at 4000..

The Fury is nice, but I think an Ultima GTR would be nice and aerodynamic, don't you ;)

[edit] Oh and one that came to mind going back to my reply to Chris earlier - what about the big Volvos? The T5/850 et al - big, barge like, presumably pretty comfy and in later models rather refined..
« Last Edit: 03 January 2011, 21:05:15 by aaronjb »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 03 January 2011, 21:17:44 »

The Fury is nice, but I think an Ultima GTR would be nice and aerodynamic, don't you ;)

Don't know why I didn't think of that before...

I wonder if the 6.3 in the back will affect the fuel consumption? I'm sure it will be OK. Would probably save me a fortune. :y

I used to camp at the same site as the Ultima club at Le Mans. They certainly managed to generate some bar stories. One of the guys has apparently received a letter saying he's no longer welcome in Belgium after the run from Zeebrugge to the French border was a little spirited (especially the last 10 miles when the helicopter was chasing him). :o

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #52 on: 03 January 2011, 21:21:41 »

I wonder if the 6.3 in the back will affect the fuel consumption? I'm sure it will be OK. Would probably save me a fortune. :y

I'm sure it'd be fine - the Americans have been using those engines for years, how bad could they .. oh, wait, what am I saying?  ;D

Always did really fancy an Ultima, though, until I saw the prices of the various bits of kit  :'(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 03 January 2011, 21:34:13 »

Always did really fancy an Ultima, though, until I saw the prices of the various bits of kit  :'(

Yep. No recycled bits of Sierra in one of those.  ;D

Then again, it shows, IMHO, and you get a lot of car for your money given that the performance is up there with cars costing many, many times as much.

Just not sure where I'd ever use it. Drive it on the road and you get too many letters through the door, and it'd be game over at the first speed hump. Drive it on the track and you'd probably still not be stretching its' legs, and an "off" would cost a fortune.

So nope. Don't want one. Really not. Honest. ;)

Kevin

aaronjb

« Reply #54 on: 03 January 2011, 22:07:07 »

So nope. Don't want one. Really not. Honest. ;)

Noo.. that much is quite apparent ;)

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 03 January 2011, 22:21:41 »

just heard on radio that by end of year petrol is going to £2.10.09p  :o :o :o :o
Solar charger fitted.

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 03 January 2011, 22:33:10 »

The price of petrol wont make any difference to me keeping my miggy. Everything goes up, gas electric, water . its just one more thing to plan into your budget.
The cost of replacing your Omega with a car of similar quality would be rediculous. So i'm gonna stick with my miggy for years yet  :y :y :y

freecall666

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 03 January 2011, 22:35:22 »

got me that they strike few years back for 10p, and now up more nothing????
Solar charger fitted.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 03 January 2011, 22:42:36 »

Judging by the number of cars queueing at various petrol stations today when I was on my way home from work, you'd have though the world was down to its last few gallons!  :-? :-?

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 03 January 2011, 22:46:54 »

Judging by the number of cars queueing at various petrol stations today when I was on my way home from work, you'd have though the world was down to its last few gallons!  :-? :-?
[/highlight]

Same up here Andy, noticed today as we went out, with a full tank of course... :) filled up on Friday ready for the weekend and we have not been out till today, which is good news as it means FIL has not died.... :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.