Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam Sensor Fault  (Read 2223 times)

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
Cam Sensor Fault
« on: 06 January 2008, 21:56:41 »

Hey Guys

Just a quick question.

Would the timing being out slightly cause the fault code for the Cam Sensor to come on and stay on. Also it appears that when you rev up it cuts out at 4500 with a pop and drops down again???

Any ideas

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Cam Sensor Fault
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2008, 22:01:34 »

Has this problem only just started? If it has, and it was OK before, it's unlikely to be timing related.

4.5k rev limit on a 4 pot is always cam or crank sensor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2008, 22:02:06 »

cam sensors frequently fail on 4 cylinder omegas. if you have already recently changed it with a genuine one, check cam timing, as it can throw cam sensor error.

4.5k rpm is the limp mode for cam sensor fault...
Grumpy old man

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2008, 22:07:30 »

Its sorta a long storey to be honest. Heres the short version though!

Head Gasket went, had repaired by dodgy mechanic who f****d it up. Found out had major electrical faults. Auto electrician removed and traced faults one being rewire to cam sensor. Car still sluggish compared to before, few months later oil leak down front of engine. Traced oil leak to leak on rocker cover right where cam sensor is fitted.

So much oil had to jet wash timing belt, tensioners, covers and cam sensor to clean all oil out. Started up and had eml on since. Car starts and runs fine except for cuts out at 4500 revs and appears to be slower than before??

Ive always suspected timing being slightly out but not had chance to get it checked due to work commitments!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2008, 22:17:52 »

Its sorta a long storey to be honest. Heres the short version though!

Head Gasket went, had repaired by dodgy mechanic who f****d it up. Found out had major electrical faults. Auto electrician removed and traced faults one being rewire to cam sensor. Car still sluggish compared to before, few months later oil leak down front of engine. Traced oil leak to leak on rocker cover right where cam sensor is fitted.

So much oil had to jet wash timing belt, tensioners, covers and cam sensor to clean all oil out. Started up and had eml on since. Car starts and runs fine except for cuts out at 4500 revs and appears to be slower than before??

Ive always suspected timing being slightly out but not had chance to get it checked due to work commitments!

Firstly, don't take chances with the cambelt kit. If the rollers have been jetwashed - change them, and the belt, and waterpump if it's done more than 40k miles. The timing is easy to check by eye on the 4 pot.

If you're getting a cam sensor fault code, first check the wiring from the cam sensor wires back to the ECU, and then suspect the sensor...

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2008, 22:25:48 »

Well I have a spare sensor anyway, so am planning on changing this as soon as I get over this novo virus. Feel like c**p.

Ive checked the haynes manual but as usual it is not very clear on where the timing should be on the top two cogs, plus I havent got the lock off tool. I feel confident enough to change it myself as I have the tools and I have done a number of fords before But I dont like doing it without the proper info.

If once Ive changed the cam sensor it still comes up I planned on taking it back to the trician who sorted it before as he did a good job, just wanted to save myself a 40 per hour bill thats all.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2008, 23:15:41 »

Cam sensors (the original unmodified version) and VERY fragile and fail regularly.  Vaux now have a modified sensor available.  I have one fitted in my 2.0 16v Cavalier and, touch wood, seems fine after 2 years.

The symptoms you describe point the cam sensor failure.

And yes, get the timing belt etc changed!

Hope this helps
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2008, 23:34:34 »

Ok thanks guys, will change the cam sensor tom if its dry as going to take a couple of days off work, docs orders honest  ;D

Will let you know if it sorts the eml fault.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2008, 08:27:24 »

Juts as a further note, the ECU will report a cam sensor signal fault if the timing is out.

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2008, 11:46:39 »

Thanks Mark, I thought it would but wanted someone to confirm. Think Im going to have to purchase the cam locking tool as Ive rang three garages and no one wants to touch the timing. They sey it cant be reset!!!!.......Now Im no mechanic but even I know that it can be altered once the belts off, think they just dont want the work.

If I get the the cogs lined up as they are and take a couple of photos is there any chance someone could tell me if its out or not. Will mark the timing marks with paint marker prior to taking photos??

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2008, 12:03:52 »

Thanks Mark, I thought it would but wanted someone to confirm. Think Im going to have to purchase the cam locking tool as Ive rang three garages and no one wants to touch the timing. They sey it cant be reset!!!!.......Now Im no mechanic but even I know that it can be altered once the belts off, think they just dont want the work.

If I get the the cogs lined up as they are and take a couple of photos is there any chance someone could tell me if its out or not. Will mark the timing marks with paint marker prior to taking photos??

Lol, no need to mark anything on the 4 pots as the timing marks are VERY obvious.

Its true that there is not the finite adjustment on the 4 pot belts that there is on the V6 units but, they can still be a tooth out.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2008, 12:05:00 »

IIRC, on 4 pot, there are 2 marks on cam pulleys that point to each other horizontally when set right.

Lock kit for 4 pot is about £5 for a plastic draper one.
Grumpy old man

star_whites

• Rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2008, 12:08:55 »

I think mine are set at about 2 oclock (right cog) & 10 oclock (left cog) I will take a photo.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2008, 12:11:02 »

I think mine are set at about 2 oclock (right cog) & 10 oclock (left cog) I will take a photo.
Sure they are supposed to line up, but worth checking what others say (as I normally refuse to work on starter motors :P)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2008, 12:16:19 »

No, both should be at 12.00 on the X20XE(V)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.