Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish.  (Read 4228 times)

STEMO

Re: Fish.
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2019, 19:12:55 »

Oh, I remember batter scraps from my childhood: sadly, they don't do them any more - due to the Safety Elf, or people being more affluent? :(

Ron.
All of our chippies do scraps.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2019, 19:15:55 »

We've just got back from the Wetherby Whaler, beautiful cod in a light, crispy batter. Then I had sticky toffee pudding with custard, can hardly move now.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2019, 20:00:27 »

We've just got back from the Wetherby Whaler, beautiful cod in a light, crispy batter. Then I had sticky toffee pudding with custard, can hardly move now.

I'm jealous.  I have always loved having fish and chips up North.  Last time was at an award winning chippy, with resturant, in East Yorkshire, near Scarborough. Boy the cod was the best I have ever tasted and the chips were spot on! Mmmmm, I feel hungry!! :P :-* :-*  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2019, 20:17:40 »

I'm jealous.  I have always loved having fish and chips up North.  Last time was at an award winning chippy, with resturant, in East Yorkshire, near Scarborough. Boy the cod was the best I have ever tasted and the chips were spot on! Mmmmm, I feel hungry!! :P :-* :-*  :y

I've had the luck of eating fish n chips from all around the country,  have been in weathby whaler in Wakefield,, found it over priced, but they do have overheads,, best fish n chips we're at a chip shop in Arbroth near the lifeboat station. Next would be in Brechin, and for pie n chips chippy in Lowton near Wigan.
Hoof'land storeman.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2019, 20:51:20 »

As a boy 'fish on Friday' would mean a choice between cod, haddock, or possibly plaice. :y

This week I have eaten Pollock in fish fingers, and Basa, which google tells me is a bottom-dwelling catfish from the Mekong delta that can grow up to 5 feet in length. :o

For Cod's sake what is going on. :)

I sympathise with you Opti as I will only eat cod fish fingers or in batter. But the sad fact is that cod has been overfished for decades, so the fishing industry has come up with viable alternatives.

Just think though, the experts are reckoning that in the future, to boost the world's food stocks in view of a possible, according to some projections, 11 billion population by 2100, we will be eating many insects that currently, in the west - not the east - we find rather disgusting.

So on Friday's Opti look forward to a plateful of locusts! :D :D :-* :-* :y
               We have plenty of insects to go round, there are roughly six ton to every person on earth apparently :o oh and I love Hake.
Laying a rubber road.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2019, 20:59:47 »

..... Next would be in Brechin, and for pie n chips chippy in Lowton near Wigan.

They only eat pies in Wigan  ::) ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2019, 21:14:23 »

The much-vaunted Harry Ramsden chain of chippies was a disappointment, and over-priced: at least, the one in Bournemouth was.
If I must go up north, I would choose the chippy in Matlock opposite the park. I cannot remembet its name, but the walls were adorned with Bamforth comic postcards, so you also get a good laugh when you eat!
The Rolls-Royce of chippies has to be Emiles, at the Barbican, just outside Looe in Cornwall - divine!!! :y

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2019, 21:34:33 »

There are decent fish and chips up and down the country. The queues outside The Magpie in Whitby can stretch the full length of the street and people will wait for up to two hours to be seated. I certainly would not wait that long, no matter how good they are.
Big Griff...concerning the Wetherby Whaler in Wakey.......it depends what you mean by overpriced. We went to the restaurant, not the takeaway (there is a marked difference) and paid £47 for fish and chips for three, with bread and butter and a pot of tea each, and three puddings. Slightly more than macdonalds, but certainly less than a bowl of soggy pasta at Jaime Olivers or the like. I guess it depends on whether your willing to pay for good food with good service or want proper food at greasy spoon prices.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2019, 22:29:53 »

Pollocks to all this. Mine's a steak. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2019, 22:41:13 »

There are decent fish and chips up and down the country.  ....

But mostly up the country .....  ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2019, 08:11:44 »

Enjoyed my cod'n'chips on the sea front in Hornsea on Saturday-why do they always seem to taste better at the coast than they do further inland?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2019, 10:11:35 »

TB's Rule No 1.

Never eat stuff that comes from the sea.  The number of times I've pissed in the sea should put anyone off, and I am one of 7bn.  I've also been known to crap in the sea.

Enjoy.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2019, 10:12:29 »

She did me a fantastic steak the other night. No idea why it was sooooo good, esp as it came from Tesco :o
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2019, 10:51:37 »

She did me a fantastic steak the other night. No idea why it was sooooo good, esp as it came from Tesco :o
Had a great one off the barbecue the other night.  :y

Went out for a meal last night and everything on the menu was fish apart from the Lamb and the Vegan / rabbit food option. Lamb came with anchovies. :(

Luckily, they were happy to leave that sh1te off mine, otherwise I'd have removed myself from the premises pretty sharpish. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2019, 11:02:03 »

Had a great one off the barbecue the other night.  :y

Went out for a meal last night and everything on the menu was fish apart from the Lamb and the Vegan / rabbit food option. Lamb came with anchovies. :(

Luckily, they were happy to leave that sh1te off mine, otherwise I'd have removed myself from the premises pretty sharpish. ;D

Sounds like the sort of place where the food is served on a log or Marley roof tile.  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.