Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5/3.0 heads  (Read 3159 times)

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5/3.0 heads
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2016, 10:01:01 »

Not to hijack but could you use 3.0l heads on a 2.5 if you were to supercharge?
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2016, 10:03:49 »

Not to hijack but could you use 3.0l heads on a 2.5 if you were to supercharge?

It would reduce the compression. You'd have to do the sums to work out exactly what you'd end up with. The problem is, folklore has it that these engines start to get bottom end problems if forced induction is used. I think I'd be looking at what SAAB did to the V6s they turbocharged first.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2016, 11:09:15 »

Supercharging has been done, and it's suggested super vs turbo is the was to go re: forced induction. However, for out and out powerrrr these engines aren't the best starting point. They are large, lazy motorway cruisers, that can idle smoothly and slowly, that's what they were designed for. From your 2500cc you get 167bhp... from your old 'redtop XE' of 2000cc you get 150+bhp, and 200bhp in turbocharged form, standard. That's before tuning.

If you wander over at Billing and say all snooty and self-satisfied to some Astra/Cavalier/Nova boys 'Hey guys, My 3-litre V6 has just over two-hundred bhp, year, you heard, two-hundred brake" you'd get laughed at. Scarily, the current Corsa VXR produces that, and that's a 1.6!!  :o With very little fettle turbo'd little 2-litres are pushing over 300bhp happily. I know that's comparing natural with forced induction, which is never fair, but realistically you might be looking at about 300 bhp from the 3-litre with a supercharger, before serious bottom-end work is required. And that's not really that impressive power for the cc's, as above.

Or, as a comparison, Lotus/GM managed a healthy 377bhp from the old straight-6 lump in the LC/LO... and many owners claim theirs produced more from the factory engine mods, and they have been tuned to even more. Strong engine.

And as Kevin says above - Saab did good things, and had good engine, some GM-derived. To be honest this always surprised me that GM didn't simply whack a Saab unit in the Omega. A new Sports model, all for free.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2016, 11:23:23 »

If I had the inclination, which I don't, then it would be to fit a blown 2.2 into a manual 2.2 Sport.

That would be a hoot to drive  8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2016, 11:39:33 »

If I had the inclination, which I don't, then it would be to fit a blown 2.2 into a manual 2.2 Sport.

That would be a hoot to drive  8)

I've considered that too. Turbo Astras aren't worth much, and a 2.2 Omega even less. I wouldn't bother with a Sport, as some Bilsteins and some slightly stiffer springs would be on the list. A completely stock looking CD or CDX, still on the 16"wheels but with 300hp under the bonnet should be doable with some scrounging for about £2k.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2016, 11:59:17 »

That would work so well.. and with the added advantage of an engine bay you can get to things to work on!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2016, 12:13:14 »

Indeed. The V6 is great for its' refinement and flat torque output, which you'd lose with a blown 4 pot.

Quite apart from anything else, packaging issues make forced induction on a V6 a non-starter. That and the fact that someone has already made all the expensive mistakes with various other engines.

A blown oxymoron would be a fun sleeper, that's for sure. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2016, 13:01:03 »

Have a feeling the cooling needs addressing, as well, on the V6s? As you say, expensive mistakes; go for something that a large-scale manufacturer has already done for you.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 October 2016, 21:27:12 »

Finally had some time to look into this one again. It has come back as X30SE heads. These came from a mechanic who said he always kept a spare set on his shelf for quick changes so he didnt have a headless car on his drive while looking for a pair. he just could not remember if they were 2.5 or 3.0. So, I have a spare set of 3,0 heads

Keith ABS

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 October 2016, 09:35:32 »

Happy days!  :)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.