Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are all inlet trumpets born equal?  (Read 1057 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Are all inlet trumpets born equal?
« on: 21 September 2016, 13:24:27 »

Heard both yes and no on this - are the fuel rail inlet trumpets on a 2.6/3.2 V6 different to those of the 2.5 / 3.0s?

Thought I read someone stripped their engine down, and discovered the ports of the trumpets/inlets were a couple of mm larger on the donor later/larger engine, meaning a different inlet divider and/or porting would be required for best gas flow. I understand the injectors & FPR are a different set up, but specifically looking at the cast metal part here.

Anyone ever get a final definitive answer on this? Thanks in advance  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Are all inlet trumpets born equal?
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2016, 13:58:36 »

If by trumpets you mean the cast ali manifold section that sits under the plenum then yes, they are different. 2.5/2.6 versions have slightly narrower passages.

2.6/3.2s have a different set of injectors and different pressure fuel regulator to 2.5/3.0, in addition, althougn the fuel rail can be swapped to a different manifold.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2016, 15:19:57 »

Ahh... so it's the two smaller V6 that are different, right. So 3.0 and 3.2 will be the larger ones, then. Good to know. Long story shot there's a guy with a scrap 2.6 I'll be nabbing a couple of bits off later in the week, but wasn't sure if I should get this while I'm at it. Being a 2.6 I shan't bother. Might grab the FPR while I'm there, though. Thanks!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2016, 17:09:55 »

2.6/3.0/3.2 all the same :y

White estate had a 2.6 one fitted, identical in every respect to the 3.2 one.

Injectors vary though, as does fuel pressure regulator :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2016, 09:51:10 »

That makes sense, the 'Y' engines having various 'power'-boosting engineering tweaks to offset the reduced compression ratio of the later engines. I'm thinking easier breathing exhaust manifolds, longer plenum. Thanks. Might be scavenging on a scrap Omega tonight, then!  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2016, 11:24:37 »

That makes sense, the 'Y' engines having various 'power'-boosting engineering tweaks to offset the reduced compression ratio of the later engines. I'm thinking easier breathing exhaust manifolds, longer plenum. Thanks. Might be scavenging on a scrap Omega tonight, then!  :y

The manifolds make a small, but noticeable difference over 3500rpm. My car rarely does that, so I wouldn't bother fitting them again unless doing a load of other work at the same time. I got mine cheap just before I removed the heads, so fitting them wasn't a problem - you fit the heads with the manifolds attached.

The long plenum does make working at the front of the engine more awkward; you have to prop it up a bit to get the cambelt cover off.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2016, 11:33:51 »

Nice tip re: the heads, thanks Nick. Never even considered it. However, knowing the chronic pain I had getting the things off the scrapper, fitting them first does make a heck of a lot of sense. Might see if I can score some 3.0 sodium valves, too in the future.  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.