Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple charging cables  (Read 1570 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Apple charging cables
« on: 29 May 2020, 07:36:29 »

Can anyone recommend good quality pattern Apple usb phone charging cables? I bought two recently, and although they appear sturdy, both need care to ensure good contact in the phone slot.  :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Apple charging cables
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2020, 12:08:00 »

I thought you were going to say they had failed at the weak point. Apple cables are absolute total rubbish just where the cable goes into the fixing that goes into your product. Even a village idiot could have designed something more durable

We bought after market and it worked for maybe a month before not.

I have seen some armoured cables on the net which quite appeal for a daily overnight charging situation but would be no good for on the move, but am now very wary of buying none Apple products. 

Lets see what the tech savvy come up with
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2020, 12:22:56 »

I thought you were going to say they had failed at the weak point. Apple cables are absolute total rubbish just where the cable goes into the fixing that goes into your product. Even a village idiot could have designed something more durable

We bought after market and it worked for maybe a month before not.

I have seen some armoured cables on the net which quite appeal for a daily overnight charging situation but would be no good for on the move, but am now very wary of buying none Apple products. 

Lets see what the tech savvy come up with
Our apple ones have gone at the exact point you mention. But it hasn't stopped them working, even though they've been like that for almost a year.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2020, 12:25:43 by STEMO »

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2020, 12:55:30 »

I have had good success with Belkin and Startech cables.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2020, 13:00:49 »

Genuine Belkin are pretty good, but beware there are a zillion fakes out there !!!  and prevalent on a certain site beloved of our leader ...  :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2020, 16:18:24 »

Thanks guys. Yes my OE cables went at the same place, but one is also dodgy charging. Perhaps unsurprisingly, given my opinion of Apple stuff,  that they are unable to devise a better charging connection. I’ve never had a problem with my Kindle type charging connectors.  >:(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2020, 17:35:03 »

The answer is not to buy Crapple products!  :y

Mind you, I find the mini USB plugs fiddly as hell to use.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2020, 20:10:19 »

In my, reasonably extensive, experience of Apple lightning leads, the pattern ones are variable.

Trouble is, because of the supply chain for the pattern ones, one day Amazon might sell ones that plug in easily but the cables are fragile, next day, the cables are good but the plugs don't fit that well.

Which puts you in the realms of the branded (but not Apple) ones from the likes of Tesco.  Trouble is, price wise, they are getting close to Apple outrageous pricing.  And the Apple ones do last well, and fit perfectly.

Of the pattern ones, I have found the Poundland ones aren't too bad - slightly harder to plug in. But they start to fail after a few months.

I use the Poundland ones at work, and normally buy loads at a time. Namely because I don't go in the office often, and I can guarantee every time I do, the one I left on the desk has gone walkies.  For charging at home, I use genuine apple.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2020, 07:29:26 »

Agree about the ludicrous pricing of these cables, especially as they have very limited life.  >:(

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2020, 07:56:43 »

I find the apple cables fine, im still using daily the one that came with my iphone 5, 8 years ago!
I think the problem is the bit to grip is a bit fiddly, so people grab the wire and yank.  I dont.
Thinking about it, Every genuine apple lead we have is still in perfect working order.
Havent bought cheapies for a long time, as Ive built up a good stock of genuine ones now, but everything I tried was fairly crap.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2020, 07:59:54 by Jimbob »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2020, 08:33:30 »

I think it is all down to the use/abuse they get.  e.g. using them still plugged in because the batteries never seem to be charged. Cable not quite long enough to get to the socket. Cable wound up or screwed up and put in pocket/handbag.

If you just make one call a day and then put it back on charge over night and unplug before use, then the cable would last a fair while.

All the ones that I have had fail or know of failing were at that weak point which is a design error. It is interesting that Belkin do a 90 degree plug on one of their cables. Might try one of those.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2020, 17:58:54 »

I bought THESE in July last year.  They are still going strong.  Less than a fiver each, and I do admit to using my phone when it's plugged in.  They seem pretty indestructable to be honest.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.