Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opel 2.5 td hard start cold  (Read 5956 times)

gazsomega

• midlands
    • 2.5 Opel estate
    • View Profile
Opel 2.5 td hard start cold
« on: 03 April 2019, 08:29:27 »

Hi there got me a new Opel 2.5td lovely car owned many now this one wont start first thing when cold just cranks for a minute then will go like lack of fuel but then will start fine all day long on and off and will start again if I turn it straight off it's as the plugs are not working but I'm thinking fuel is leaking during night no leaks though any help guys much appreciated
Used  to have  two v6 and they roared
Now got 2.5 to Opel

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: Opel 2.5 td hard start cold
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2019, 17:30:04 »

air leak, my first port of call would be,usually where the fuel filter screws on,the piece(heater)  above it comes loose simple to fix 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2019, 18:09:16 »

LOL, I was gonna go for glow plugs.  But both worth checking.

I'm afraid Omegatoy and I are probably a little bit too familiar with the td lump, following all our sagas a decade or so ago
Grumpy old man

gazsomega

• midlands
    • 2.5 Opel estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2019, 09:00:37 »

Any guides on here about fuel filter glow plugs I dont want to sell car but cold start no chance
Now got 2.5 to Opel

gazsomega

• midlands
    • 2.5 Opel estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2019, 17:41:21 »

Update getting 12v at each glow plug now wont start at all am I missing something
Now got 2.5 to Opel

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2019, 18:50:52 »

That just confirms your getting power to the plugs, but not the condition of them. You need to find out the resistance in ohms the plugs should have, then remove them and check the resistance.
If the plugs aren't that old I would be checking for unmetered air being sucked into the air intake or air being sucked into the fuel system.
I don't know the layout of the engine so cant advise on specifics.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2019, 18:59:47 »

I would also go with Glow Plugs or GP Relay, you can easierly measure them, think there about 2 ohms each from memory, also the GP Relay pits up and arcs across the 2 contacts over time meaning that although you get 12v on the Plugs there is limited current being delivered.

Pull the Black Plug off the top of the Relay and measure current in series through each plug or you can just measure the impedance to each plug to Negative, one by one from the top of the plug via the 6 wires.

On a cold day you only need 2 or more plugs not to be working for it to be a right pig to start.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2019, 19:01:48 by zirk »

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2019, 23:00:03 »

Hi there got me a new Opel 2.5td lovely car owned many now this one wont start first thing when cold just cranks for a minute then will go like lack of fuel but then will start fine all day long on and off and will start again if I turn it straight off it's as the plugs are not working but I'm thinking fuel is leaking during night no leaks though any help guys much appreciated
the td i had for 10years had the glow plugs changed only once. if ever it never started straight away it was always the leak off pipes needed replacing. if i squeezed them where they went on to the nipple & my fingers had diesel on them i changed them. also i would check the blank on No 6. some are rubbish & swell . regards the leak-off pipes i always made mine a tad longer than necessary so i could just cut a couple of mill off the ends.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2019, 00:01:11 »

Good point. I had an issue with my 190D where it wouldn't start no matter what I tried. Eventually I found a couple of cracked leak off pipes, replaced the lot for less than a fiver and the car ran perfectly once that was done.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2019, 17:36:15 »

Update getting 12v at each glow plug now wont start at all am I missing something
If you give it 3 or 4 lots of glowplugs before you even attempt to crank, each of at least 5s, does it start easier?  If so, change the glowplugs.
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2019, 18:25:49 »

glowplugs are reasonably easy to change,inlet off makes it easier, very surprised if it them at fault though,
does it have less than a quarter tank of diesel in it? very common cause of non start its pump in the tank failed or blocked
if it wont start at all now,grab a can of wd40,pull air filter pipe off and while someone is cranking it fire the wd into the pipe if it starts or fires its defo a fuel problem

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2019, 16:57:29 »

If you need a fuel filter, I have some genuine ones

gazsomega

• midlands
    • 2.5 Opel estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 April 2019, 09:58:25 »

Checked the service history fuel filter was last changed May 2015 at 38,000 now on 40,000(mileage is correct not been used much last 2 years)Not sure if a genuine filter was used or not.Over half a tank full of fuel.Makes no difference how many times i let the glow plugs go off and on before trying to start will still not start.
However got it to start on Friday afternoon just as the battery was dying after cranking for about 20 seconds, although it had been almost firing up after about ten seconds but just seems to struggle to get over that last hurdle to kick in.
Going to try and check glow plug and relay ohms today and check for any fuel leaks.
Any other suggestions appreciated.
Now got 2.5 to Opel

gazsomega

• midlands
    • 2.5 Opel estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2019, 12:18:06 »

Just a quick update before lunch.Checked all pipes from tank up to engine no obvious leaks.Checked in engine bay no leaks all pipes seem secure  and all nuts tight.Started again after about 20 seconds plenty of white smoke out the back.Drove 200 yards downtime road, stopped switched off waited about 10 mins and started with almost no turn of the key ! and no glow plug light showing before start.Will check the ohms this afternoon.
Now got 2.5 to Opel

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 April 2019, 10:39:21 »

Sounds like fuel is running back to the tank after some time/overnight-fuel vacuum leak
Had this on my sprinter. Found to be a pin prick hole in the fuel filter
Start up almost immediately after a turn off the fuel does not get to run back to tank
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.