Author Topic: WHY?  (Read 6923 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
WHY?
« on: 26 March 2017, 10:36:47 »

Why, oh why do we indulge in this bi-annual madness of changing our clocks? It's a phenominal waste of time, money and effort on the part of those who do not have self-setting radio code controlled clocks, and for no useful purpose. We have been doing this for just over 100 years now; if it's a good thing (supposedly) how the hell did we m,anage all those millennia before we adopted this procedure? The day is still 24 hours long, however you carve it.

Ron.

STEMO

Re: WHY?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2017, 10:56:17 »

Madness? I think I may have just experienced that. My lad has one of these Pure iPad docks/radio things. I shouted up and asked him if he'd managed to work out how to change the time. He said no, so dad to the rescue. I went up and it said 9:40, so I got the little remote, went through the settings and changed it to 10:40....done. Put it back to standby.....9:40. Hmmmm....went through it all again..9:40 to 10:40... standby. 9:40.
Right....powered off and leave it a while. Set to 10:43 by now, standby, 9:43. F*** it.
Then it dawned on us. It was 9:43, not 10:43 and it was receiving an rds signal and setting itself.
Dooooooooh!  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2017, 11:04:21 »

Its for the Northern England and Scotland folk, so there kids can walk to school in the mornings in daylight.

Don't have this problem down South as they all go to school in 4x4's.  ::)

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2017, 11:21:08 »

You have to think of the poor child living in the Utter Hebridies that would have to walk from the croft to school ;D ;D ;D
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2017, 11:48:31 »

So, for those few lost souls in Outer Wherever, we all have to suffer great inconvenience? 'dangle berries' to them!

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2017, 11:59:00 »

I think it's great that when the weather is supposed to get warmer and nicer, we suddenly get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings to enjoy it!  :y

Or maybe not......  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2017, 11:59:28 »

Now now Bigron, that's a bit cruel, they may be eaten by a feral haggis or even Nessie ;D ;D ;D
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2017, 12:17:36 »

::) Nightmare ! must have taken me all of 5 minutes to change the clocks/watch/microwave  , just have to gear myself up to do it all again in the autumn !

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2017, 12:27:36 »

Madness? I think I may have just experienced that. My lad has one of these Pure iPad docks/radio things. I shouted up and asked him if he'd managed to work out how to change the time. He said no, so dad to the rescue. I went up and it said 9:40, so I got the little remote, went through the settings and changed it to 10:40....done. Put it back to standby.....9:40. Hmmmm....went through it all again..9:40 to 10:40... standby. 9:40.
Right....powered off and leave it a while. Set to 10:43 by now, standby, 9:43. F*** it.
Then it dawned on us. It was 9:43, not 10:43 and it was receiving an rds signal and setting itself.
Dooooooooh!  ;D

9:43  ?

Now let me think . . . . Ah yes. I was still in bed . . . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz     :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2017, 12:46:22 »

Wasn't it originally done for the farmers during some war or other?

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2017, 12:48:21 »

::) Nightmare ! must have taken me all of 5 minutes to change the clocks/watch/microwave  , just have to gear myself up to do it all again in the autumn !

Ermmm....It took me all of 0 secs to change mine....Clock in kitchen/Living room/Alarm clock/Weather station and even CH controller changed times themselves  :y :)

I expect the Humax box has changed itself too.....I shall see when I turn the tv on.... :-\

The mondeo will probably change itself too if I retune to a national radio station....don't think the local radio station I listen to transmits time signals  :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2017, 12:54:42 »

No, Benjamin Franklin had this brainstorm over 100 years ago, and we were daft enough to copy some time later.
Farmers have farmed perfectly adequately for millennia before this pointless interference held sway.
Apparently, the royal household has thousands of clocks to adjust twice per year and it takes lots of staff over 50 hours to do so! Not that I'm all that worried about them, but in offices, workshops etc., all over the country time is wasted re-setting clocks - and time is money.
I've got to go out in the cold now and re-set my sundial.....

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2017, 13:47:48 »

We get an extra hour of daylight this evening.  :)  How can that be a bad thing?  ???  ::)  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2017, 13:52:41 »

No you don't, unless you have a galactic influence denied to the rest of us mere mortals. You could have had the extra hour last week, or any day, by adjusting your personal waking/sleeping hours, if you so chose.

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2017, 13:52:54 »

We get an extra hour of daylight this evening.  :)  How can that be a bad thing?  ???  ::)  :y

:y

So, all that is needed is a bit of sunshine, and I can start thinking about firing up the BBQ !   :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.