Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: White smoke.  (Read 8438 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke.
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2018, 09:35:16 »

I had a similar problem with a mysterious coolant leak (look it up under that title) and I used some UV tracer dye from ebay, bundled with a UV torch. Not easy to see the glow in daylight and also, as in my case the leaking coolant was chucked around by the fanm, not easy to pinpoint even in the dark!
I hope that helps and if you want details of the vendor for those items, I'll try to look them up for you.

Ron.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2018, 09:46:09 »

I had a similar problem with a mysterious coolant leak (look it up under that title) and I used some UV tracer dye from ebay, bundled with a UV torch. Not easy to see the glow in daylight and also, as in my case the leaking coolant was chucked around by the fanm, not easy to pinpoint even in the dark!
I hope that helps and if you want details of the vendor for those items, I'll try to look them up for you.

Ron.
Thanks Bigron,that would be a great help.Dean. :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2018, 10:02:03 »

Ron.
BTW Ron,cant find your thread did you get it sorted Dean.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 June 2018, 10:04:03 »

Ye Gods, the prices now!
The company I used has ceased to trade and there is cheap dye, from the US, but with a £15 carriage charge and the UV torches are now silly money.
Your local aircon re-gassing centre may be able to help?

Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2018, 10:10:36 »

I did find the leak eventually, yes, but not after going to EssexBigAl's place and he changed the radiator for me; there was a leak from the plastic casing all down under the top hose, not visible with the rad in situ.

Ron.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2018, 11:14:53 »

only jesting about your bonnet Dean  . . ;)  get your missus to sit on the front edge of it while you pull the lever, and then stand up while you are still pulling. :) :)

Ok  . .so once you are in there  .  .first try and adjust your bonnet pull cable as you are going to have to keep checking the header tank. There is a guide on here somewhere. easy job , just 1 small bolt head to loosen , re tension cable outer  & re tighten (see guide)
   IF the header tank is below the "cold level" mark it could/ probably is  a coolant leak . If the header  tank is empty or almost empty , same as above,  but that means your low coolant warning is not working as well.  (Low coolant warning is normally a problem the other way round , with it showing when level is fine owing to float switch in the tank fubered.)

IF your header tank is still at its usual level , your "white smoke " from the grille area issue will probably be something else & not a coolant issue .

IF the level is down  you need to refill to cold level mark & monitor it constantly , after each short trip ,  over the next few days to see if it drops . IMO  short trips are ok  . . but nothing more until you find out if coolant is dropping & how quickly.

As a guide my leak was about half a litre every 100/150 miles in use , but would not lose anything while parked up Monday to Friday. Temp gauge was always a steady 90/92 with this leak ongoing.

Report back once you have seen the header tank level & we can go on from there  :y

« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 11:30:39 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2018, 11:42:55 »

Dean
         Bonnet pull adjustment is in maintenance guide under Trim, Cosmetics & Body , external section  :y :y
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 11:45:02 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2018, 16:47:10 »

Hi all,right got the bonnet open with the help of the wife.(i will adjust it later today). Expansion tank was not quite empty but below the level mark,and well below the top of the sensor.(So the sensor is not working but it was a few weeks back)I put in 1ltr of water to put it to the mark,and i have ordered some dye.Tonight i will take it for a run and get it up to temp,maybe in the dark with a torch i will be able to see where the smoke/steam is coming from.Dean.(BTW No oil in the water in the expansion tank,and no water in the oil on the dip stick)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2018, 17:00:59 »

I hope that you got the dye for a sensible price, Dean. Do you have a UV torch, because an ordinary torch won't make the dye glow?
They are not cheap, either, but I could lend you mine if all else fails, using our wonderful posyal system.

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2018, 17:28:29 »

Don't run it for too long on a weaker than 50:50 antifreeze mix (couple of days max), due to the corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze.

I suspect you have a hairline crack in the black plastics either side of rad, usually the hot side.

Dye not needed, as you can trace the steam ;)
Grumpy old man

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2018, 17:35:10 »

Don't run it for too long on a weaker than 50:50 antifreeze mix (couple of days max), due to the corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze.

I suspect you have a hairline crack in the black plastics either side of rad, usually the hot side.

Seconded here  . . on both highlighted points  .   Mine was a hairline crack in the black plastic ::)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2018, 18:03:44 »

Hi TB,hope your well.Right i have adjusted the bonnet cable,but i have another problem.The little clip that the bolt screws in to has had it,it tightens up but then springs back out.Its holding the cable at the moment but can you buy a new clip from some where.TB when Serek did the service in Feb i am sure he would have put in 50:50 mix,since then i have put in.Approx 1ltr of pink coolant when i got back from Sereks and about 2ltrs of water.Do you think it would make it to Sereks,i wont bother with the dye then just look for steam later tonight.Thanks for all the helpfull advice its much appreciated.Dean. :y BTW( i have not used the car very much since Serek did all the work)
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 18:12:32 by moggy »

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 June 2018, 18:08:42 »

Just to let people know,dye £3.12+vat and light £7.47+vat from demon tweeks.Dean.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2018, 18:17:06 »

Hi TB,hope your well.Right i have adjusted the bonnet cable,but i have another problem.The little clip that the bolt screws in to has had it,it tightens up but then springs back out.Its holding the cable at the moment but can you buy a new clip from some where.TB when Serek did the service in Feb i am sure he would have put in 50:50 mix,since then i have put in.Approx 1ltr of pink coolant when i got back from Sereks and about 2ltrs of water.Do you think it would make it to Sereks,i wont bother with the dye then just look for steam later tonight.Thanks for all the helpfull advice its much appreciated.Dean. :y BTW( i have not used the car very much since Serek did all the work)
Sounds like you have trashed the hole where the clamping bolt goes into the body.

Yes, carry plenty of water, it will make it to Sereks I would imagine, unless you are losing no end of coolant.

If you have put in (effectively) a 1:2 mix, that's too weak.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 June 2018, 18:22:19 »

Without going out in the cold to look (still got man flu), I think the clip is a standard "Spire" clip, available on ebay for pennies?
Example: Item Number 192318095864

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.