Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ferry lorry tipping over!  (Read 5513 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry lorry tipping over!
« Reply #30 on: 25 December 2018, 12:21:06 »

Pull the drain valves :-X

Also trailer air usually has manual controls on it...
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 December 2018, 18:40:02 »

Draining tanks doesn't empty the bags,, all trucks on air have a ferry setting which dumps air from unit, trailer would use lowering valve.
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 December 2018, 18:47:41 »

On all the crossing I've done dover-calais,drive onto truck deck, handbrake on,lock it and leave.  The only thing chained down were the
-un- accompanied trailers, everything else wasn't, reason being takes to long to put 4 chains on to every truck... Would think the Irish crossing is the same.

If the crossing is forecast to be rough the crew will often be chaining whilst you’re upstairs enjoying your breakfast  ;)

No they don't... because to chain a truck down correctly, the air needs to be dumped from the suspension, that's from unit and trailer  Also with 200 plus trucks on the spirt, when you board you would see them with chains and binders at the ready. :-X

Dover-Calais is rarely bad enough to justify chains 😉

And I’ve seen them chaining Dover-Dunkirk before everyone is even boarded so they definitely do when needed

Dover Dunkirk is 20 minutes longer,, never been chained, Newhaven-deippe never chained,. I know Portsmouth-santander/Bilbao will chain if the weather is forecast adverse. All unaccompanied freight is chained(solo trailers) and there's a few on the Dunkirk boat (big cold store on docks). :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Boatboy

• Intermediate Member
  • St Albans
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 December 2018, 21:17:19 »

Draining tanks doesn't empty the bags,, all trucks on air have a ferry setting which dumps air from unit, trailer would use lowering valve.

And how long have you got?
Some old Volvo's we used (or might of been Scanias) had a ferry setting but few knew it was there and nobody I know ever used it.
All current air suspension units can have the back end lowered or raised from inside, but it just isnt done IME.

Maybe that's why this thread got started. In any case I'm sure the lashings are there more for positional stability rather than stopping them rolling, which in 'normal' storm conditions I guess is more likely caused by unstable loading.

Doesn't bother me anymore though. Some bright spark realised there was a constant stream of paddy wagons running home empty from the continent and literally passing our door, so they get a backload and I had to find something else to do. :(
Every start's a bonus!
03 2.6 Elite estate. Bose my A***

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 December 2018, 15:28:30 »

about 20  years back our Range rover was chained down on a rough channel crossing, one front one rear, lots of other stuff on the truck deck was being chained.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2018, 15:30:27 by scimmy_man »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.