Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New windscreen fitted using original rubber surrounds  (Read 3111 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile

Can anyone tell me if replacing the old windscreen with a new one, if the rubbers that go around the outside of the screen should be replaced?  It is on the wifes 1995 Omega Estate.  National Windscreens did it, as that is who her insurance company deal with.  They fitted the new screen, but said the gaps at the bottom are due to it having had a replacement screen sometime, also the bloke said it is slightly split due to age. The rubbers according to what I have read on here are original, as they are split into seperate pieces, not two pieces like the later ones.

The wife wants to contact the Insurance company to complain, but I thought if we had some confirmation that the work is not correct, we would have something to prove it.

I have attached some pics of the work done.

Thanks for any help.
Addy

Drivers side the rubber is buckled slightly and you can see in the bottom corner, the gap between the side rubber and the bottom rubber.

Gap on passenger side.

Masking tape used to hold rubber until the sealant sets.

Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: New windscreen fitted using original rubber surrounds
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2019, 17:43:16 »

I have a crack in my windscreen, and as a result of reading a previous similar thread on here regarding fitting windscreen rubbers, namely  to use new GENUINE GM rubbers, no adhesive on the bottom run (and elsewhere?) and a two-man crew to do the fitting.
I put all of those requirements initially to my insurers (LV) and then to Autoglass.
What a painful load of ping-pong emails: each put the onus on the other, with Autoglass saying that they would only fit new rubbers of any sort, GM or otherwise, if my insurers would cover the cost and my insurers saying that they did not see it as a safety issue even though my car is 18 years old and on the original screen and rubbers - so would not finance anything other than their normal service.

My Insurance Broker at least attempted to persuade both LV and Autoglass to be co-operative, but they both stubbornly refused. I also complained directly to Autoglass, but simply received standard replies, not proper communication. They even asked me for feedback about how the job went, even though the fitter(s) won't be attending until next Monday!

What are my chances of getting a satisfactory job done and what can I do if I am not satisfied?

Ron.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2019, 18:07:50 »

Well I am glad, i am not going to be the one on the receiving end of the phone, tomorrow. The wife doesn't take prisoners when they are in the wrong or upset her. (Probably because she is Scots? LOL)

Will keep upto date how we go on.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2019, 23:32:38 »

It's normal practice to use marking tape to support the screen until the bonding sets, to prevent the screen sliding down slightly in the aperture due to its weight.
It's not however to use masking tape to hold down the surround at the top of the surround until whatever adhesive they have applied has gone off. On the later cars, the surround basically clips into the retainer round the screen, and needs no adhesive or goo, but I don't know whether the surround on early models are secured the same way.
The rubber looks totally deformed in your pictures, and the bottom seal is far too short, and in my opinion these should clearly indicate to them that the fitment isn't as it should be.
When I had a replacement screen fitted years ago, the fitter then said that it is important that the screen is fitted to the correct height (to clarify- the correct amount of bonding is applied so that it sits at the correct height in the aperture) otherwise the seals that are a push fit into the retainer don't sit correctly, usually sitting proud due to excess bonding, hence the need for goo and the marking tape around the seal in an attempt to get it to fit to the surrounding bodywork. He also said its normal practice to fit new rubbers with a new screen.
I have also heard that some none Vauxhall screens have an inferior retainer around the screen which can also contribute to fitment problems, ie rubbers that sit proud or pull up at the top corners exposing a gap between the rubber and body.
I would demand that they return and refit it with new rubbers by someone who actually knows what they are doing! That is assuming new rubbers are available for your age of car, and the aftermarket screen is of good quality and correct profile which in itself could cause fitment problems if it wasn't ......
« Last Edit: 21 May 2019, 23:35:12 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2019, 08:14:03 »

Thank you johnnydog for your reply.  I was not impressed by the use of masking tape, as you say it is usually the blue tape used. The sun had baked it onto the paint slightly, but I was luckily able to remove the left residue from it.

I thought it looked wrong but they said, what I put in my first post. I have sent photos to the Insurance company and the wife will be ringing today, what you and Bigron have written will help. Hopefully the insurance lot will sort it, as they did say if there were any problems once done contact them, especially when I said to them to explain to the windscreen lot the rubbers will need new ones.

Does anyone know if the newer rubber seal will fit a 1995 model estate?

Thanks
Addy

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2019, 17:21:29 »

Well insurance contacted the National Windscreen Manager they usually deal with by them. They sent him the pictures I posted below, he said that the rubber on drivers side, definately is not right, so he contacted Hartlepool manager on our behalf. The manager from Hartlepool, contacted us and said that they will come out tomorrow, to sort out the rubber on drivers side, they will not be doing the bottom one as that is just for cosmetic only, the gap on each side is 1". They will not change the rubbers, because apparently when they get a order, from the insurance companies they don't include in the policy for new rubbers, so they use what is on the car. He said that they aren't happy doing it, but it is the only thing they can do due to the cost to the customer.

So will see what they do tomorrow.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2019, 18:22:00 »

The lower trim is not just cosmetic, it stops water running into the scuttle etc.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2019, 19:11:28 »

Well insurance contacted the National Windscreen Manager they usually deal with by them. They sent him the pictures I posted below, he said that the rubber on drivers side, definately is not right, so he contacted Hartlepool manager on our behalf. The manager from Hartlepool, contacted us and said that they will come out tomorrow, to sort out the rubber on drivers side, they will not be doing the bottom one as that is just for cosmetic only, the gap on each side is 1". They will not change the rubbers, because apparently when they get a order, from the insurance companies they don't include in the policy for new rubbers, so they use what is on the car. He said that they aren't happy doing it, but it is the only thing they can do due to the cost to the customer.

So will see what they do tomorrow.

Had mine done on insurance recently . . .all new genuine trims & rubbers requested & duly supplied .  The whole saga took weeks to sort though .

Not sure if earlier models are different but I think they are  serving you a large portion of bullshit there .   >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 22 May 2019, 19:14:05 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2019, 21:23:39 »

Will ring insurance tomorrow and tell them that the bottom rubber, is not cosmetic it plays an important part of keeping out rain water from the engine bay, as it sits on the top edge of the scuttle to deflect water on to the scuttle away from the engine. Does that sound about right.  The manager from National windscreens, said that they would probably warm the drivers side rubber and glue it down. So going to see what Insurance say about fitting new rubbers without any cost to me. Not holding my breath but will see.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2019, 22:57:36 »

Will ring insurance tomorrow and tell them that the bottom rubber, is not cosmetic it plays an important part of keeping out rain water from the engine bay, as it sits on the top edge of the scuttle to deflect water on to the scuttle away from the engine. Does that sound about right.  The manager from National windscreens, said that they would probably warm the drivers side rubber and glue it down. So going to see what Insurance say about fitting new rubbers without any cost to me. Not holding my breath but will see.

I wouldn't be happy with warming the rubber to mould it to fit, with adhesive to keep it down! If fitted right in the first place, no glue / sealant or bonding is required to the rubbers - the retainer is supposed to secure the rubber tight against the body if the screen is positioned correctly as in my last post. I wouldn't let them do that, but demand new rubbers. Although it is the screen that is being replaced, in my view, new rubbers are part and parcel of the complete job,  especially if the old ones are deformed through age.

2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2019, 18:21:28 »

Done 7 years in the windscreen trade and 5 of them were working for myself...That job needed new trims and the bottom one that looks like it is too small owing to sunlight..and you can see the side trims have also gone hard and need replacing.

It is there job to supply new trims if needed and they are well aware of that,they probably dont carry them in stock anymore owing to it being an old car..

The fitter/s got there and thought they could get away with using the old trims and sometimes you can,but this time it didnt work out....

That glass now requires a remove and refit and to do that it will need wiring out...

When it is a cash customer then its a different story..."yes please try and use my old trims if you can".....
« Last Edit: 23 May 2019, 18:27:02 by Steve B »

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2019, 16:27:53 »

Well after passing the blame on the insurance company, had a call today from another National windscreen, department in Middlesborough, about the complaint raised, sent them all the photos including one showing how the rubbers looked before new screen.

Further to that, now had a phonecall from the lot who put the new screen in, saying that the insurance company have suddenly agreed to pay for new seals. So it is being done next Friday.

Thanks to everyone, who have helped with information on how the seals should be.

Hopefully that will be the end.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2019, 16:43:50 »

Lets hope you get the correct result, and thanks in part to advice on OOF as usual. This is probably the best car forum for helpful advice, despite the occasional blowhard who expects us all to be as knowledgeable as himself. :-X :y

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2019, 16:58:07 »

Lets hope you get the correct result, and thanks in part to advice on OOF as usual. This is probably the best car forum for helpful advice, despite the occasional blowhard who expects us all to be as knowledgeable as himself. :-X :y

umm !  now  . . whoever could you be thinking of there . .  ::) ::) ::)
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2019, 17:02:42 »

Well after passing the blame on the insurance company, had a call today from another National windscreen, department in Middlesborough, about the complaint raised, sent them all the photos including one showing how the rubbers looked before new screen.

Further to that, now had a phonecall from the lot who put the new screen in, saying that the insurance company have suddenly agreed to pay for new seals. So it is being done next Friday.

Thanks to everyone, who have helped with information on how the seals should be.

Hopefully that will be the end.

Good news Addy  . . .you should be getting sorted now then  . . . Barstewards those insurance /windscreen companies  especially when working together  >:(
 . . . as said had a nightmare myself recently . 
Remember  . .don't accept the finished job until you are fully satisfied  ;) ;) ;)

Good Luck  :y
« Last Edit: 24 May 2019, 17:05:59 by Alnico Blue »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.