Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Queen Elizabeth  (Read 5652 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2019, 23:00:07 »

:y :y

It's 30 years since I arrived at Pompey via the dock yard  :)

Looks like I'm soon to be working the other side of the harbour in Fareham.

I lived up the road in Rowner Gosport  :y (apparently they call it Alver village now  ;D)
I lived in Rowner as well St Nicholas Ave :y
Hunter Close first then upgraded to Aldermoor Road which was off St Nicholas Ave at the top end  :) A small world eh!

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2019, 23:17:21 »

I lived up the road in Rowner Gosport  :y (apparently they call it Alver village now  ;D)
I lived in Rowner as well St Nicholas Ave :y
Hunter Close first then upgraded to Aldermoor Road which was off St Nicholas Ave at the top end  :) A small world eh!
yeah small world i was in Nimrod drive first then St Nicks
« Last Edit: 25 May 2019, 23:19:01 by b4ndit »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2019, 23:48:04 »

yeah small world i was in Nimrod drive first then St Nicks

Just along Grange Rd then .....  :)

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2019, 23:51:45 »

do you remember the pub the spread eagle?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2019, 23:55:15 »

Is it here?   :-\
 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8305763,-1.1696706,3a,75y,41.7h,75.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHu4tC7YwbYLRtw-Gyszmgw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB

there used to be a helicopter outside 30 yrs ago ...... I swamped my Cortina in a huge puddle just here many year ago  ;D ;D ;D

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2019, 06:42:58 »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8305763,-1.1696706,3a,75y,41.7h,75.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHu4tC7YwbYLRtw-Gyszmgw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB

there used to be a helicopter outside 30 yrs ago ...... I swamped my Cortina in a huge puddle just here many year ago  ;D ;D ;D

No, it's a little electronics company, but looking forward to my commute down the A32 each morning.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2019, 08:17:40 »

No, it's a little electronics company, but looking forward to my commute down the A32 each morning.

I can imagine. The M27 into Pompey used to be busy even way back then ....I can't imagine what it'll be like now.
It used to be fun driving home when they were extending the M3  ???
« Last Edit: 26 May 2019, 08:19:41 by Andy B »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2019, 09:55:21 »

With a new skipper as well, as the old one let his Missus use the ships Galaxy for the school run!  ;D

You'd think that a Commodore of the Royal Navy who was Captain of the biggest ship the navy has ever had, could afford his own car for the school run.  ::)  :P

Maybe they found out that he voted Leave and was planning to vote for the Brexit Party!  ;D

For goodness sake, he is the Captain of our most expensive warship, in command of 700 odd men. If what is reported is correct, he paid for the fuel, and used it to go home or whatever. Look at what the politicos give themselves, secretaries, cleaners, free post, stationary, free travel, company cars/drivers etc. etc. just to f**k up Brexit.
These guys are prepared to put their lives on the line for all of us!!!
WTF.

Disagree with you on that one Shack  :-\
With the Army or RAF, your land based and easy to pass naughty boys further down the line for punishment if deemed appropriate.
With the Navy, your in the middle of the ocean, possibly 1000's of miles away from anyware.
His is there to uphold queens regulations / ultimate law. If he doesn't set the very highest standards himself,  he will never have full disciplinary control and respect of his sailors.

From what I have picked up on, yes he paid for his own fuel / insurance but was putting himself above queens regulations.
He was quietly warned a few times that was getting noticed further up the food chain but he choose to ignore those warnings and flaunt regulations ...........   
Ultimately, he has paid the price for taking the piss  :(

Oh, yes he apparently did vote Brexit too   ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2019, 19:47:00 »

....as a form of update or clarification, it was posted in our local rag today, in the readers letters from a retired RNVR God botherer, who said that Mrs captain was using the vehicle for school runs and therefore without HMG permission and so outside insurance cover, hence the brouhaha.

If already warned and persisted then I agree with the ‘master and commander’ standpoint which required his removal from post.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2019, 21:43:41 »

....as a form of update or clarification, it was posted in our local rag today, in the readers letters from a retired RNVR God botherer, who said that Mrs captain was using the vehicle for school runs and therefore without HMG permission and so outside insurance cover, hence the brouhaha.

If already warned and persisted then I agree with the ‘master and commander’ standpoint which required his removal from post.

Sorry, can't agree, this is an expensively trained, and highly valuable naval officer, clearly skilled enough to take command of one of our white elephants aircraft carriers. Then we have the disgraceful way that the f**kwits in Parliament, responsible for the Navy, who have their snouts so far in the trough it is difficult to see their fat asses. A reprimand would suffice, not loss of command, and probably future promotion. >:( >:( >:(
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2019/05/11/mps-expenses-will-politicians-learn/
« Last Edit: 30 May 2019, 21:45:20 by Shackeng »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2019, 11:21:12 »

Sorry, can't agree, this is an expensively trained, and highly valuable naval officer, clearly skilled enough to take command of one of our white elephants aircraft carriers. Then we have the disgraceful way that the f**kwits in Parliament, responsible for the Navy, who have their snouts so far in the trough it is difficult to see their fat asses. A reprimand would suffice, not loss of command, and probably future promotion. >:( >:( >:(
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2019/05/11/mps-expenses-will-politicians-learn/

Yep, and in time of war, that these commanders are always prepared for, the boldness and uniqueness of such leaders would be highly valued.  My father gave great praise to the commanders he served under who dared to be different and not be constrained by dogma and the need to obey every regulation under the sun. They dared and often won. I mentioned Nelson earlier as the bold, blind eye, when necessary, type of commander, who by 1916 at the Battle of Jutland had been replaced by over cautious, by the book, commanders, apart from Vice Admiral David Beatty, who failed to snatch the massive victory that was on offer to them due to their fear to be bold and take risks.

By WW2 the bold and different had returned, with my father witnessing some wonderful moments of naval achievement by them.  These were men of the like of Captain 'Jumbo' Jenks who wore  six shooters like a cowboy around his waist and got his Number 2 to chuck up empty cans from the ships bridge and quick draw to shot them down, but led his destroyer crew into bold achievements handling the ship like no other; or the RN submarine captain who took an old (Austin 7 I think) everywhere with him, strapped on top of the hull of his command and achieved his victories!  THere were more, incidents of commanders daring to win, that my father talked about that I have long forgotten but can be found in history books that echo boldness during the great days of the British Empire.

Characters, everyone of them that, yes, it was during war time, but they were the ones who won battles as Nelson and others did, not forgetting those of the Army and RAF who led by boldness of action and being different, like Montgomery. These men were not perfect, as the commander of HMS QE is not perfect, but he is a highly (expensively) trained individual of the type who may well make the difference in a future conflict, but is being sacrificed for just the misuse of a 'company' vehicle.

In short, do we want "everything in duplicate", to regulation, type commanders who will not take risks and sometimes act in out of step ways in everyday command, or potential winners of war? :( :(
« Last Edit: 31 May 2019, 11:23:06 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2019, 12:56:58 »

.............................now, after writing all that I must admit that I am split between that stance and the one whereby no commander should take the piss and abuse his position and, worse still, under the eyes of his subordinates.  A leader must have respect from their crew, or team, and should take note of any warnings given by their superiors.

So, in short, I am torn between thinking it was right he went and that he should have stayed.

You know, I am glad I did not have to make that decision, as it is of a type I had to make often in civvy street.  When to turn a blind eye to a likeable, highly gifted, rogue, and not to! :P :P

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2019, 14:49:30 »

But if the details given are correct, he had been given warnings/reprimands about the vehicle use.  What can you do if you give someone warnings, but they continue?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2019, 15:19:44 »

I am down in Gosport most weekends these days fixing British Soldier as the racing crews seem to keep breaking her.  In fairness they did win RORC IRC2 last year, a fantastic acheivement but they absolutely destroyed the boat in the process.  Thus far on the electrics alone I have spent 56 hours since Feb rewiring the circuits that got drenched.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.