Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: So, back to the age old question  (Read 14620 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: So, back to the age old question
« Reply #105 on: 13 September 2020, 10:20:45 »

Yep, test drove a 200 that a mate of mine was considering and it felt horribly cramped. My mate, who's about 6'3, loved it and bought it. :-\

It's no different to a 3-series of the same age. Which is hardly surprising as they're direct competitors. And it's one of the many reasons small RWD cars died out; by the time you've installed a long engine, gearbox, axle, massive wheels and heating system there is very little space for what should be the most important component - the passengers.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 13 September 2020, 10:25:02 »

Yep, test drove a 200 that a mate of mine was considering and it felt horribly cramped. My mate, who's about 6'3, loved it and bought it. :-\

It's no different to a 3-series of the same age. Which is hardly surprising as they're direct competitors. And it's one of the many reasons small RWD cars died out; by the time you've installed a long engine, gearbox, axle, massive wheels and heating system there is very little space for what should be the most important component - the passengers.
They are definitely narrower that any 3 series I've been in.
Grumpy old man

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 13 September 2020, 18:22:58 »

I am actually considering the IS300H along with the GS450H. Most RWD cars are not ideal for three in the back due to the transmission tunnel hump and the raised centre seat. Although the Omega has a pretty good rear bench to seat three.

We have a MK2 focus and my kids reckon it's more spacious in the back than in the F30 I had. Not sure I believe that.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 23 November 2020, 17:38:35 »

So, need to drag this one up again, seeing as TBE is needed for storage and distribution of Andy B's produce  :'(
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 23 November 2020, 17:51:39 »

One of our neighbours has just got himself an Audi RS6 sounds & looks very nice in metallic blue, don't know anything about them but looks very purposeful indeed.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 23 November 2020, 17:52:37 »

What do you replace an Omega with?  Mrs TB's daily, covering about 2k monthly, so rules out anything tasty.

Requirements:
Comfortable mile cruncher, so large saloon
40+ mpg
ideally well over 500m to a tank (one area that became problematic with TBE)
Sludge-o-matic
RWD/AWD/4WD
Good visibility (unlike the x351 XJ, which is a bit crap)
Comfortable for passengers
Sub 100k
Ideally less than £6-7k, unless the car perfectly suits her needs.
DAB + BT streaming. BBC Radio is not conducive to her remaining mild mannered.
A 2.0 diesel jag.
Diesel till I die

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 23 November 2020, 18:24:49 »

So, need to drag this one up again, seeing as TBE is needed for storage and distribution of Andy B's produce  :'(

Talking of AndyB,not seen him on in a while :-[
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 23 November 2020, 18:53:03 »

Just had a scoot through Autotrader and the criteria you require really only leaves Jags. As soon as you select RWD, budget of around 9k tops, it limits the choice to BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, with a small handful of Lexus's thrown in.
You don't want a Beemer, you're not a fan of Mercedes, Lexus are too small, so it only leaves the XF, or a private XE/XJ.
There you go, I've narrowed it down for you, you're looking for another Jag.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 23 November 2020, 19:32:38 »

Just had a scoot through Autotrader and the criteria you require really only leaves Jags. As soon as you select RWD, budget of around 9k tops, it limits the choice to BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, with a small handful of Lexus's thrown in.
You don't want a Beemer, you're not a fan of Mercedes, Lexus are too small, so it only leaves the XF, or a private XE/XJ.
There you go, I've narrowed it down for you, you're looking for another Jag.  :y
Someone mentioned that a couple of posts ago.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 23 November 2020, 19:42:35 »

I know, I was reiterating what you said.  :y :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 23 November 2020, 19:45:19 »

Well....you have to say that. Like "That nice STEMO fella was right, again".  ;D
Diesel till I die

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 23 November 2020, 19:49:31 »

Audi A6 Quattro  ?  I know I went for the allroad version, due to my habit of pulling a tin tent, but it has been reliable, comfortable, cheaper than the Omega to run, has more power and handles better than the Omega ... the only "downside" is it runs on diseasel .. but I'm getting used to that ....  :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 23 November 2020, 20:12:35 »

Audi A6 Quattro  ?  I know I went for the allroad version, due to my habit of pulling a tin tent, but it has been reliable, comfortable, cheaper than the Omega to run, has more power and handles better than the Omega ... the only "downside" is it runs on diseasel .. but I'm getting used to that ....  :)

I fully agree with you Nige, as I also drive an Audi A6 Avant.  :y  Lovely comfortable motor even though it runs on 20" rims, economical and quick. No issues with mine either so far touchwood.  :y  TB stated slush box though, which limits the range of available models.  :-\ 
« Last Edit: 23 November 2020, 20:26:27 by YZ250 »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 23 November 2020, 20:31:29 »

Well....you have to say that. Like "That nice STEMO fella was right, again".  ;D

Ok, busted.  ;D  I read what you'd written but had forgotten it two posts later.   ;D  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 24 November 2020, 09:57:03 »

I know of a nice 2 year old high spec XE petrol with low miles, service plan, years warranty left, just serviced etc  :y

Out of budget though
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.