Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are these the right track rods for a 2006 astra H?  (Read 4906 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Are these the right track rods for a 2006 astra H?
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2019, 20:14:36 »

The heater fan runs all the time at full speed, that's not a fail, is it?

Not a fail to have the fan on BUT if the heat is turned to hot, you may draw all the heat from the engine , so it will never get to tempreture , and may over fuel , causing emissions test fail , so turn the blowers to cold  :y
The car has locking wheel nuts, and nuts they are, that screw on to studs They have 19mm heads, not sure how to replace them, so they remain.
why do they need replacing ?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2019, 21:57:18 »

Not a fail to have the fan on BUT if the heat is turned to hot, you may draw all the heat from the engine , so it will never get to tempreture , and may over fuel , causing emissions test fail , so turn the blowers to cold  :y
The car has locking wheel nuts, and nuts they are, that screw on to studs They have 19mm heads, not sure how to replace them, so they remain.
They don't, but I dread losing the key, ever since I bought a car in auction with locked wheel nuts and no key.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2019, 22:00:38 »

same as a Metro/Freelander/75/MGF etc. Standard part, readily available. I'll ask if the bloke I know who breaks then can spare some off his floor....

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2019, 22:04:04 »

same as a Metro/Freelander/75/MGF etc. Standard part, readily available. I'll ask if the bloke I know who breaks then can spare some off his floor....
Thanks. I only need 4.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 May 2019, 22:28:45 »

Thanks for good tip about the overcooling. The temperature control has failed too, it's an old style heater control sytem, using stiff wires from a plastic control panel. I set the temperature manually, hot in the winter and cold in the summer.
Last year at MOT this car boiled over in the emissions test with the cooling fan not working, made quite a mess in the testing bay. On tester's suggestion I took the car away when it had cooled down, replaced the engine temperature sensor, returned in the afternoon, and it passed.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2019, 09:42:21 »

If its the same as the 25, it uses 3 pieces of coiled wire to make the resistance, and the originals are crap.  If its full speed on any setting, I imagine some mongrel has just shorted them out when they blew.  I might still have a spare set of better quality ones if you have a good enough iron to solder them in?

If they are the factory fit Rover ones, they are pretty robust, and aren't made of chocolate like GM ones.  However, if you want to change them out, new and second hand nuts are readily available.  Personally, I wouldn't bother on a Rover of that age.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 May 2019, 16:01:49 »

If its the same as the 25, it uses 3 pieces of coiled wire to make the resistance, and the originals are crap.  If its full speed on any setting, I imagine some mongrel has just shorted them out when they blew.  I might still have a spare set of better quality ones if you have a good enough iron to solder them in?

If they are the factory fit Rover ones, they are pretty robust, and aren't made of chocolate like GM ones.  However, if you want to change them out, new and second hand nuts are readily available.  Personally, I wouldn't bother on a Rover of that age.
Thanks TB. You have reminded me, I have seen those resistor coils. I changed that heater fan and had the controls apart a few years back; it worked all right then. But the control knobs are all plastic, so if turned too far they deform, and do not grip thereafter. I took the speed knob off and pushed it on again, and the speed varied. Fault cured.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 May 2019, 18:29:30 »

When my dad had his 416 I had to repair the fan resistors (well cheapskate wire coils) with ceramic resistors, was an easy enough job if I remember correctly.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2019, 18:44:48 »

75 uses wheel bolts but any of the rest may suffice :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 May 2019, 18:46:05 »

75 uses wheel bolts but any of the rest may suffice :y

Ooops, it's been a while.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.