Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: TB's Garage thread  (Read 29234 times)

chrisgixer

Re: TB's Garage thread
« Reply #105 on: 23 October 2013, 21:29:00 »

...plus the shadows shown on g maps won't help the damp in that corner. The sun will never get in there. Your neighbours on the other hand, has a nice little sun trap.

As one of the guys at work would say... Get it built lad!  ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #106 on: 23 October 2013, 21:46:52 »

No, not having this ;D

On further reflection... Man up ya big gay. No MANS garage is ever big enough. Ever. :P ;D

Mine has a shed just outside the back door you may remember. It's falling down, slowly. So I'm considering a custom made shed, where the garage back door opens directly into, an 8ft wide by 14ft space.

Now, if my garage had been destroyed, ignoring the fact I'd no longer be here btw as our garage is on the side of the house :o , I'd be adding a brick structure in place of the shed if at all possible. No doubt there.

Poof ! ;D
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 21:48:29 by chrisgixer »

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 24 October 2013, 08:30:02 »

No, as surveyor is saying floor needs to be block and beam. Not sure why, or what the advanatges/disadvantages of that are. I'm guessing cost, but might be wrong.
I wouldn't want beam and block in a garage. I would be constantly worried that the steel wheels on my trolley jack were going to break a block and disappear into the floor void :-\

Reinforced concrete is the answer in a workshop :y

Erm you do realise you dont just leave it as block and beam? There is a screed that goes down on top so very little chance of jack wheels dropping through.

Reasons for block and beam would be most likely due to ground heave. Guessing its a clay soil. The void under the floor leaves room for it to move.

If it was a raft it would crack. Plus cost of deep strip foundation would be far too expensive

Oh and Ive just about finished my garage, interanally its 4.5m wide and 10m long, plenty of room to get at least 2 cars in, unfortunately its highly unlikely to ever see a car in it while i own the house!!
« Last Edit: 24 October 2013, 08:31:34 by Phil »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 24 October 2013, 10:35:08 »

TB, I would keep the garage the same size, the extra bit at the back would be a seperate room/outhouse. This could have an access door into the garage or one to the garden.

This gives you multiple options as it can then be insulated to a higher standard (potentialy in the future) and used for many more purposes than storage.

Or it could simply be a better built shed (did you loose a shed also?)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 24 October 2013, 10:42:02 »

The main thing you'd need to work on cars in there is width*, and that won't be so easy to gain, so I'd agree that it's not really worth messing about just for what will only ever be a bit more storage space.

* - But it's easy to build, store and work on a Lotus 7 style car in a single garage, and you need a replacement for the kwaka(RIP)

So, there you go. Spend the money on a starter kit and a donor car instead. Solution. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

« Reply #110 on: 24 October 2013, 12:12:03 »

TB, I would keep the garage the same size, the extra bit at the back would be a seperate room/outhouse. This could have an access door into the garage or one to the garden.

This gives you multiple options as it can then be insulated to a higher standard (potentialy in the future) and used for many more purposes than storage.

Ah, an office*, so freeing up a bedroom. :y

(Ponders own needs and ignores TB's) .... Nah, bigger garage.  ;) ;D

*which in TB's world means server room. :o
« Last Edit: 24 October 2013, 12:14:03 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #111 on: 24 October 2013, 12:19:14 »

Or, as many do in Slough. Rent it out. :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 24 October 2013, 12:59:35 »

The shed was removed 3 or 4 years back, and now lives on (with fresh felt ;D) over at my little bro's.

Now he has a nice 3 berth garage, but still swamped by his neighbour - Mum - with her 4 berth, with a brick workshop out the back. Lucky mare.

Office style space is probably what I would make it *if* its financially viable to both me and my neighbour. We both need to do it, else its unworkable (or flat roof, which I do not want). This would add the most value, even though it would only ever be used to store junk while I live there.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 24 October 2013, 13:00:05 »

Mind you, would having it as office space affect future insurance?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 24 October 2013, 13:01:23 »

...plus the shadows shown on g maps won't help the damp in that corner. The sun will never get in there. Your neighbours on the other hand, has a nice little sun trap.

As one of the guys at work would say... Get it built lad!  ;)
The reason we got rid of the shed was because that area gets the best of the afternoon/evening sun. We did plan to patio/deck/something with it, and reduce the size of existing patio. Never got round to it.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 27 April 2014, 20:58:22 »

OK, we have planning permission sorted a few weeks ago :D

We have the insurance companies agreement to go ahead :D

Next problem, delay on bricks  >:(
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #116 on: 27 April 2014, 21:36:37 »

Did Guffer only send you one then ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 27 April 2014, 21:38:36 »

Yes. I think the Parcelforce postage costs put him off sending more...  ...that and Mrs TB's sense of humour failure over it ;D

But it didn't match anyway :P
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #118 on: 27 April 2014, 21:51:07 »

Yes. I think the Parcelforce postage costs put him off sending more...  ...that and Mrs TB's sense of humour failure over it ;D

But it didn't match anyway :P

Is this the attempted delivery, that happened, while you where out fetching the parcel I sent you?

You know. The delivery card saying pick up from depo as you where out, because you where out collecting my parcel FROM THE SAME DEPO? ;D ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #119 on: 27 April 2014, 22:02:05 »

That's the one ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.