Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.6 MV6 auto performance.  (Read 6091 times)

05omegav6

Re: Omega 2.6 MV6 auto performance.
« Reply #60 on: 25 July 2014, 22:05:52 »

Centre consol, pop it in D then left to change down and right to change up, but nothing fancier than that and certainly not the all singing, all dancing 7G Tronic, flappy paddle gubbins in the new ones :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #61 on: 26 July 2014, 05:49:55 »

Centre consol, pop it in D then left to change down and right to change up, but nothing fancier than that and certainly not the all singing, all dancing 7G Tronic, flappy paddle gubbins in the new ones :y

Thats still what they call tiptronic  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 26 July 2014, 10:30:48 »

Exactly as on my CLS500. A novelty for about 5 minutes and then never used again. The changes were about as quick as an Omega auto using manual hold. :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #63 on: 26 July 2014, 13:10:50 »

Exactly as on my CLS500. A novelty for about 5 minutes and then never used again. The changes were about as quick as an Omega auto using manual hold. :-\
Fair dos :y I figured it was just an electrical version of moving the lever through the gears as per an older auto ::)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #64 on: 26 July 2014, 18:10:27 »

Fair dos :y I figured it was just an electrical version of moving the lever through the gears as per an older auto ::)

But you havent answered my orig question......is it faster to change if you whack the gear stick, than using kickdown. I tended to use the tiptronic to make my merc change down......coz it would only kickdown if you pressed the pedal all the way to the floor....ie using loads of fuel....when a 1/2 way on the throttle and use the tiptronic had the same effect, but use less fuel  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #65 on: 26 July 2014, 23:12:06 »

Possibly marginally when in E, but no noticeable difference when in S, as near as I can tell :-\

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #66 on: 28 July 2014, 20:43:36 »

Possibly marginally when in E, but no noticeable difference when in S, as near as I can tell :-\

It should be, but dont know why it isnt in S....

As far as i understand it .... If you use kickdown to change gear the ECU has to work out which is the lowest gear it can change to with out over revving....if you are in 5th for example.....hit the tiptronic asking it for 4th, it only has to check 4th wont over rev it....then change....so one less step the ECU has to work out .....just a quick tap on the gearshift is needed....otherwise you'll be finding your asking it to change to 1st  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 28 July 2014, 23:00:15 »

The time taken for the ECU to work out what gear to change into is insignificant. It really just depends what type of gearbox it's controlling. If it's controlling a slushbox, it'll change gear like a slushbox. If it's a dual clutch box like a DSG it'll be swifter. If it's a "proper" sequential gearbox that can do clutchless shifts it'll be instant.

The mechanism by which it gets told which gear to change into makes no odds. If it's a slushbox, might as well save yourself the hassle and frustration and let the ECU decide, IMHO. ;) On such gearboxes, tiptronic is a marketing fad designed to immitate what you get in a Ferrari whilst giving you gearchanges that take about 3 weeks longer, IMHO. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 28 July 2014, 23:26:18 »

The time taken for the ECU to work out what gear to change into is insignificant. It really just depends what type of gearbox it's controlling. If it's controlling a slushbox, it'll change gear like a slushbox. If it's a dual clutch box like a DSG it'll be swifter. If it's a "proper" sequential gearbox that can do clutchless shifts it'll be instant.

The mechanism by which it gets told which gear to change into makes no odds. If it's a slushbox, might as well save yourself the hassle and frustration and let the ECU decide, IMHO. ;) On such gearboxes, tiptronic is a marketing fad designed to immitate what you get in a Ferrari whilst giving you gearchanges that take about 3 weeks longer, IMHO. ;)

3 weeks :o :o......mine was nothing like as quick as that, Kevin. :)

Think eons. ;)
« Last Edit: 28 July 2014, 23:28:12 by Doctor Opti »

05omegav6

« Reply #69 on: 28 July 2014, 23:31:55 »

Standard 5 speed slush box :y

Which roughly translates to less shit to go wrong ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.