Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Irmy springs on the Bay, Part No. question  (Read 1091 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Irmy springs on the Bay, Part No. question
« on: 26 October 2016, 18:06:29 »

Guessing this may be aimed at the Part Number Guru's and I probably guess the answer but going to ask it anyway, would these Irmy Carton Springs be any good for the Omega?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRMSCHER-OMEGA-A-CARLTON-ESTATE-B-N-REAR-SPRINGS-MINT-RARE-/122195446649?hash=item1c736a8b79:g:zeEAAOSwZjJU8y3G

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Irmy springs on the Bay, Part No. question
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2016, 10:43:38 »

Technically fit these, the Omega is heavier, and so you'll explode in a fireball, and all the dolphins and african children will die.... however, there is crossover in terms of the Carlton / Omega weight. Given they're stiffer than standard in the first place they'd be perhaps better at 'taking' the extra weight in everyday driving than, say soft Senator springs in an Omega etc.. I think I sat and worked it out that the real-terms difference in weight between a Carlton and Omega is one fat bloke. I think it was suggested by an ex-member 'you'd turn your Omega into a 4 seater car' if you fit Lotus Carlton suspension to your Omega due to the difference in weight. (forgetting...ahem... that LCs are 4 seaters! but that's another story) That's assuming you loaded up the car to its brochure-stated max payload, you'd technically have to shed on fat bloke's worth of weight if you ran on these springs.

Checking the ad, these are estate - and so will have the Omega saloon tail sitting higher than standard, counter-acted by the fact these are lower than standard springs, plus the extra weight fo the Omega.... ying and yang I reckon these would sit nice. Oh, and the nose of a Carlton... 30E engine weight 200kg, a X25/30XE weighs 176kg. So a lighter engine in the Omega, in theory less nose weight than a Carlton.

Ok, the worst thing you could do is fit them, and if they're just 'wrong' then up for sale they go. The rears, at least, are almost a 5 minute job, they're so easy to swap.

You've got me tempted with these now! (But don't worry, I wouldnt be that mean!)  :y
« Last Edit: 27 October 2016, 10:45:17 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2016, 13:33:33 »

They will fit, although the Omega is supposed to be heavier I suspect the weight distribution may be different as the Carlton engine is a big heavy beast.

Would you notice? I think not, If you`re tempted then buy them and fit them and see how it goes.

There are others who will say you will burn in hell for even thinking about fitting something not designed for it though  ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2016, 13:46:26 »

Yup  :y

Thing is, spring rates and torque settings are another one... they were laid down by an engineer who thought it best. Now I'm not suggesting that a team of Opel engineer of many years experience can shut up because DBG 'reckons' something, based on not much more than a hunch.  :y  But nevertheless it's all opinion.

For a heath-robinson definitive answer, what you need is someone to get a spring on a set of bathroom scales, compress to a certain 'weight' , using maybe a simple wooden jig and G-clamps, then measure how much they've compressed by, in distance. Repeat on various other Omega springs (all brand spanking new, of course because we have original GM ones of those coming out of our backsides ;D) and see where we are, to make a scientific comparison with these Irmy ones. And ideally, find some Irsmcher Omega ones, of course for direct comparison.

And that would require someone with even more time, and even sadder than I.. which is going to be a tough find, I can tell you!!!  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.