Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlamp confusion  (Read 1754 times)

SILVER 1951

• london
    • omega 2.2i cd
    • View Profile
Headlamp confusion
« on: 21 May 2018, 07:48:52 »

I need some advice regarding my 2001 2.2 CD headlamps and i would be grateful for advice on what i should do.I am really confused about the difference between HID and XENON and i am not sure what i should fit to my mig. Coming down the M11 my headlamps showed poor lighting at night and i need to do something to improve this, i intend to replace both headlamp housings as the perspex is clouded and slightly yellow so i have been told i should upgrade them both but i dont know what i can and cant fit so any one who could point me in the right direction would help. Also anyone got any pointers as to where i can buy these are the opel omega units the same or are they different to Vauxhall as there  are plenty of Opel units on Ebay perhaps some one here can point me to a headlamp tec who could supply and fit as there seems a lot of aftermarket sets out there.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Headlamp confusion
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2018, 08:28:47 »

Hid, xenon the same thing.

Cloudy yellow lenses, can by polished back to brilliance, by using either a kit from Halfords, of using 800-1000-1500-2000 grit wet n dry and lots of water, you can also use G3 and metal polish.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2018, 08:31:16 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 11:07:36 »

The lights fitted to your CD spec will be projector type, you can polish the lens with 3M kit. It's very simple, just using a cordless drill you can use the attachments to polish up the lens. The difference can be significant, along with new Night Breaker bulbs will improve the light output considerably. I had a good improvement on my old 2.2:

Going from this:

To this:

HID/Xenon's are far better though, but to fit these you must fit the headlight washing system and self levelling adjusters along with bits on the back of the car, so you don't dazzle other drivers.

Washing kit alone is needed, as I found HID's are affected a far more by road muck. In the 3.2 I have them, I was them/the windscreen even when road has not been that dirty, the light output increases hugely after a good wash!

SILVER 1951

• london
    • omega 2.2i cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2018, 15:19:48 »

Thanks for that Tunnie just got back from Europarts with the new Nightbreaker bulbs they did 2 types Unlimited and Laser they said the laser was the better option  so got pack of 2 for £20 tomorrow i will be getting down there and getting the covers cleaned could not get my hands on the M3 kit so will try  halfords tomorrow if they come up as good as yours il be pleased thanks again :y :y :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2018, 21:07:22 »

The lights fitted to your CD spec will be projector type, you can polish the lens with 3M kit. It's very simple, just using a cordless drill you can use the attachments to polish up the lens. The difference can be significant, along with new Night Breaker bulbs will improve the light output considerably. I had a good improvement on my old 2.2:

Going from this:

To this:

HID/Xenon's are far better though, but to fit these you must fit the headlight washing system and self levelling adjusters along with bits on the back of the car, so you don't dazzle other drivers.

Washing kit alone is needed, as I found HID's are affected a far more by road muck. In the 3.2 I have them, I was them/the windscreen even when road has not been that dirty, the light output increases hugely after a good wash!

Must have taken you ages to source the Green Masking Tape to match the Car.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.