Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New rubber trim for windscreen,fitting problem.  (Read 3299 times)

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
New rubber trim for windscreen,fitting problem.
« on: 07 November 2020, 12:03:31 »

A few weeks back I had a new windscreen on the white 3.0 fitted by Autoglass,no probs with them at all. While they were working on the car, one of the guys noticed that the red 3.2 windscreen trim was looking a bit manky and gave me a new one for it...nice one! But having tried to make it fit tightly,it's not happening......I've read the previous posts on similar woes,and is Sikaflex still the preferred remedy for this problem? :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: New rubber trim for windscreen,fitting problem.
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2020, 13:02:58 »

Screen out, fit the frame to the glass and then fit the rubber to the trim then fit to the car.

Almost impossible to fit it correctly without pulling the screen.  :'(
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2020, 13:27:58 »

Sounds good, but would need to get someone to take the screen out,with the possibility of breaking it,and then having the six week wait for another one. Re the saga of the white car with Autoglass.I was thinking just settle the new trim in with a bead of suitable sealant,as it looks like that's doable. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2020, 13:41:31 »

Having had a trim escape on the motorway it wouldn't be my first choice :-\

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2020, 14:43:07 »

Although the trim came packaged as Omega,I'm thinking perhaps it maybe a one size fits all item.....going to have a think on this one. :-\ Just don't want a load of grief and lies from the insurance company and Autoglass,like the last time with the white car. >:(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2020, 17:35:09 »

Addison windscreens in Guildford  ;)

In the spring. When you're allowed out again. It won't do any harm as is ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2020, 17:40:17 »

I cant get the trim to sit properly on my screen since I had the screen replaced.The trim came off while driving, similar to DG, so I replaced it and used a few dabs of Sikaflex on the corners to hold it down, but it wouldnt sit flush and looked awful.
I removed it altogether about a year ago. Will probably go for a new screen sometime in the future and dig my heels in to have the job done properly from day one.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2020, 17:57:04 »

Only solution as other say is to have screen out and fit trim/or ideally new trim.

3 years ago just before going on holiday to Tenby got new screen fitted by Autoglass and on way had the entire trim launch itself off car never to be seen again .Upon return called Autoglass and they came out with a full set of new trims and guy they sent knew how to do the job properly and it has been in place as designed ever since.

They aren,t easy to fit by all accounts and most fitters have never seen an Omega let along replaced a screen......you need to find 1 who has the skill set  :y

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2020, 18:00:00 »

I'll probably do the same....this is one job that's going on the back burner until spring next year :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2020, 18:03:35 »

Probably wise what with BirdFlu/Brexit and all the other shite going on  >:(

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2020, 18:20:42 »

Did the old screen trim on the red 3.2, although 'manky', sit ok? If so, it's obviously the replacement aftermarket goalpost trim that isn't of the correct profile to sit flush. From experience, the channel in the plastic retainer is likely to have collected a fair degree of silt over the years which needs cleaning out. I would then fully clean the 'goalpost' trim, but I have found it is a lot easier to fit it snugly by applying a thin smear of red rubber grease on the tongue. This prevents any damage to it when guiding the tongue into the retainer, and helps it into place.
If the trim didn't fit snugly before, then you only real alternative is a new trim from VX - they are available in Germany although Autovaux seem to be able to supply and deliver the genuine article cheaper than VX.
You can actually replace the retainers with care whilst the original screen is in situ as long as the goo used hasn't sealed it to the screen itself. But you need patience and a lot of care to do it without damage. The upper retainers are unfortunately no longer available from VX....
When refitting the retainers, I have used a few blobs of black Adiseal to keep it in situ. It's a bit more flexible than Sikaflex which I like but sticks like the proverbial...
« Last Edit: 07 November 2020, 18:24:43 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2020, 19:17:02 »

In my case they used the old trim as they didnt bring a new one with them. It sat a bit proud at the top corners, but they said if I pushed it down into place on a warm sunny day, it would be fine. They were talking shite.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2020, 20:31:34 »

Did the old screen trim on the red 3.2, although 'manky', sit ok? If so, it's obviously the replacement aftermarket goalpost trim that isn't of the correct profile to sit flush. From experience, the channel in the plastic retainer is likely to have collected a fair degree of silt over the years which needs cleaning out. I would then fully clean the 'goalpost' trim, but I have found it is a lot easier to fit it snugly by applying a thin smear of red rubber grease on the tongue. This prevents any damage to it when guiding the tongue into the retainer, and helps it into place.
If the trim didn't fit snugly before, then you only real alternative is a new trim from VX - they are available in Germany although Autovaux seem to be able to supply and deliver the genuine article cheaper than VX.
You can actually replace the retainers with care whilst the original screen is in situ as long as the goo used hasn't sealed it to the screen itself. But you need patience and a lot of care to do it without damage. The upper retainers are unfortunately no longer available from VX....
When refitting the retainers, I have used a few blobs of black Adiseal to keep it in situ. It's a bit more flexible than Sikaflex which I like but sticks like the proverbial...
That is categorically untrue.

If the screen is correctly positioned in the body, it is impossible to remove the corner clips without deforming or breaking them.

Once this happens, even new frames and trims won't fit properly... if only because the frame and trims MUST BE FITTED TO THE SCREEN BEFORE FITTING to the car as the trim sets the screen position.

I learnt this the hard way fifteen years ago. BWTFDIK :-X

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2020, 21:39:05 »

That is categorically untrue.

I learnt this the hard way fifteen years ago. BWTFDIK :-X

Obviously not how to get the retainers off a screen in situ :D

You can do it without damage because I have done it. Like I said, it takes a degree of patience and care, but is doable, as long as the goo has not bonded the retainer to the screen.

I do you recollect you categorically saying earlier in the year, when I asked a question about the lower retainer being partially loose, that it could not be removed with the screen in situ without damaging it, but as I have said (a few times now) with care, I removed it, cleaned and replaced it, and it is still on the car today snugly holding the lower moulding against the scuttle and screen.

Should I say BWTFDIK? No, I wouldn't. But what I have outlined, to possibly help others, is from actually having done it....

If the mouldings are not deformed or damaged, and the retainers are not damaged, there is no need to use sealant to hold the mouldings in place in the top corners.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2020, 22:04:48 »

Actually from trying to undo what the previous owner/fitter had screwed up and the subsequent ball ache of getting it right afterwards.

RTV is not how you fit frames and trim to a poorly fitted screen and reusing frames that have previously been broken/distorted and filled with rtv is not how you expect the trim to fit either the frame or the car.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.